• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hi Everybody

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bushmaster

Hi guys,

I am writing from Rapid City SD, and this is my very first post on this great forum, and I apologize in advance if this is the wrong section to post...

I am an immigrant and living in the US for 3.5 years... I am currently married and I will become a permanent resident of the US in the next few months... I have always wanted to become a military aviator in the US and I had focused all my efforts to USAF. I wanted to enlist and go to OTS some day and become a fighter pilot.

One last research I made and conversations with several recuriters, revealed that USAF wouldn't recognize my permanent residency. So that was the end of USAF option for me.

That day I was so sad and crushed but an idea popped in my mind and I called the Navy recruiter. I talked to very nice, sincere guy... I asked about my situation... He told me there are many many options for one to become an officer in the US Navy... He told me I can enlist in the Navy and then go to STA-21 program and follow my dream becoming a military aviator.

There are 2 disadvantages on my part, one is my age, I am 25 1/2 the other is I have no college education. I think STA21 program is for those who wants to get a college education and age limit is waiverable for the time I was enlisted.

Navy sounded great and I just want to focus on my options in the Navy. Also after I enlist Navy will let me to apply for immediate citizenship.

I am hoping to hear from you guys about how I should progress. What would you suggest to me? I am going to start to study for ASVAB asap. I hold a CPL with Instr. rating but since it is a foreign one I will have to convert it to FAA.

I have a few questions at this point...

If I can not make a pilot slot because of my age and I become a NFO, is there an option to cross-train and become a pilot later?

What are the vision requirements for Naval aviators?

I am not a good swimmer, at least I know how to swim but would it have a negative impact?

Thanks in advance for your answers and support... I am glad I'll be in the Navy :)

John

WFU2USN

John,

In order to become a commissioned naval officer, you must be a US Citizen, and you're right about STA-21 - it will help you get your degee & commission. Take a look at www.sta21.navy.mil.

The vision requirements for SNA and NFO differ so take a look around on the boards for that info. For NFO, you're vision has to be pretty messed up to be physically disqualified.

As far as swimming, yes, you must be able to swim for the Navy - enlisted or officer. For Aviation, I know you swim a mile in your flight suit, so you'd need to be ready for that if it's the route you take.

Good luck!

Robin

aslam

If I'm not mistaken, the USAF has decided to completely shut down OTS. That would be bad news for any prior enlisted who want to make the jump or civilians like alot of us who are looking to get in after college.

ASLAM.

Bushmaster

Robin & Aslam

Guys, thanks a lot for the responses...

Lord willing, as soon as I enlist in the Navy, I can apply for expedited citizenship under President Bush's EO#13269... That is how I am thinking I can obtain US citizenship in maybe a year(by active duty service)

My vision is not that bad, I think I have 20/20 on the left and 20/30 on the right, and maybe a little astigmatism on the right.

My other question would be, if I apply to STA-21 with some college credits already under my belt, would it help to finish the program quick?

I can attend to an online college and get the basic classes done...

I think I should take swimming classes :) Any suggestions? We don't live close to the coasts so I think I can go to a swimming pool or something... I am a pretty bad swimmer. :(

USAF is not closing down the OTS but reducing the student numbers. Because AFROTC was over productive this year and they expect it to be like that from now on... It will raise the standards in my opinion.

Thanks again...

John

Status
Not open for further replies.