• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hey you boatable people...what do you (or did you) do on the boat for leisure?

Sheepdip

Contributor
keddetheb+rolled+image+_09f0ed4884a9f14b781b4190add91958.jpg

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Circa 2010, the Shooters did the following:
We had 4 xboxes wired together in Shooter Alley which later grew to four catapult and arresting gear work centers and a ready room via some drug deals and late night cable routing. We would regularly have 20 people throughout the boat playing COD. We had to do something during GQ!
Work out (sometimes)
Sleep (the horizontal deployment accelerator) - the boat is where I mastered the art of the "pants off nap" (you know you are a committed to a nap when you take your pants off)
Hang out in the upstairs WR and drink coffee/eat for hours on end
Surf the internet (took on average 5 minutes to load a webpage)
Read
Watch entire seasons of TV shows
Play pranks on each other
Play more xbox - Tiger Woods golf was also a favorite
Ridicule anyone who was trying to do their Master's or JPME

We have come a long way since Tetris, but then again, aircraft technology has come a long way since the Mad Dog! You are just old skool!

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
Cruiser pre internet - Workout, read...figure out how to save more money because we were in port in Toulon, Marseille x2, Palma, Instanbul x2, Sevastopol, and Catania.

Kitty Hawk w/ no internet underway - workout, played a keyboard, played computer games

Diwoniyah Iraq w/ slow internet - completed distance learning for Aviation Warrant Officer Advanced Course, studied and prep for maintenance evaluator check ride by DES, played a little XBOX and Wii games, watched 1/2 TB worth of movies off my hard drive

Fallonflyr

pilot
Wake up...run up to the hospital and back...shower...breakfast at Davy Jones Locker...brief/fly/debrief...gym...pool/steam-n-cream...veranda/steak and lobster/Gems...cab down the hill...mission across Shit River...egress ville...monkeymeat on a stick feast in cab line...sleep, rinse and repeat.

Oh did you say boat? I thought you wanted to know what we did on the Westpac when the runway in Iwakuni was closed for six months.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
My "boat trips" = 6 WestPacs between 1960-'72. 4 in Sqdns, 2 as ShipsCo.

Communications: NO INTERNET/Cell phones. Mail, & audio tapes to/from home via mail, video tapes from family by mail starting in '70s. Phone calls home in port commercial only $3.00 p/min.

My final 2 cruises, AirPac sent selected video complete NFL Sunday games which were received each Wednesday, run, and rerun rest of the week on our closed-circuit TV station KMID.

***More later***
BzB

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Probably the biggest off duty diversion on cruise underway was MUSIC! Mainly LP records copied to large audio reels. The first big buy at the initial port call at Yokosuka at the NX (A-33), was a huge AKAI or TEAC reel-to-reel tape deck, a Garrard turntable w/ stereo diamond needle, stereo headphones, loads of boxes of blank tape, and numerous contemporary LP stereo music albums.:D

Everyone would get all their albums copied to large reels... then as the cruise progressed, we would swap tapes & copy tape-to-tape, until everyone had a great recorded tape collection at cruise end. It took a large bulk of the 'off' time' on my deployments.:)

Looking back, the 2 Sqdn combat cruises had relatively little spare time for anything but actual flying day/night, lengthy detailed mission planning/briefs/debriefs, eating; watches (SDO & Integrity), SpecWpns loading drills (VAs only), spending what time you can w/ Div/Dept collaterals, Pilot's weekly A/C corrosion inspections, and most importantly, crew rest whenever!;)

Always felt bad about disturbing the "Shoe's" evening wardroom movies with the explosive, jolting cat launches, and the hull pounding, screaming engine traps
C'est la guerre!:rolleyes:
BzB

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Wake up...run up to the hospital and back...shower...breakfast at Davy Jones Locker...brief/fly/debrief...gym...pool/steam-n-cream...veranda/steak and lobster/Gems...cab down the hill...mission across Shit River...egress ville...monkeymeat on a stick feast in cab line...sleep, rinse and repeat.

Oh did you say boat? I thought you wanted to know what we did on the Westpac when the runway in Iwakuni was closed for six months.
Dang!

So I guess you didn't have the opportunity to play Nintendo Game Boy Tetris.

You missed out!

;)

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Lots of TV watching/game playing on my iPad. I got through a bunch of shows in their entirety. Some Xbox, but not a lot since my roommates dominated the tv usage.

JOPA on my boat tried to get a small clandestine network up and running, but it was shutdown for various reasons (some real and some stupid).

Internet worked sometimes, email was pretty reliable. There's just no way for 5000 people to share a connection and have it not suck. Oh, and IE7 rarely worked on most web pages, so that was fun too.