• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hey Navy, We’re Doing This Aviation Thing All Wrong

Fallonflyr

pilot
Um…Google is your friend. Don't dismiss Chip Dudderar out of hand just because you've never heard of him. 30 years flying single-seat off the boat and TPS and "commanding" the Strike Directorate gives him the bona fides to put pen to paper.

You could do the same…Ass hat.
Yea, a little harsh on my part. I like to know who is paying for someone's opinion never the less. I do agree that the F-35 is most likely going to end up being a POS.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I believe the expendability of drones is something to be capitalized upon.

You have a small herd of relatively inexpensive aircraft that can be both an ISR and weapons platform acting in concert with overhead C&C and ISR assets. Use this herd in a manner combining some of the small-boat swarm tactics we see our Persian friends developing and the Kamikaze tactics our Japanese friends and Al-Qaeda friends have polished, you have quite a formidable force.

While I, as an aviator, am personally offended at the idea of unmanned flight; I can really see the advantages offered.

I don't think anyone should argue for all or nothing WRT manned/unmanned aviation. Instead, it should be a matter if integration of forces. UAV's are here, now what is the best way to use them?
Pickle

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
I think eventually F-35 will be an ok platform. I also think it will have some severe growing pains. It's being looked at as a turd now, but so was the Rhino when she first came out. Hell, some of the LRIP Rhinos I flew looked like Rhinos on the outside, but were Charlie's on the inside. I would argue that its really only been since the Lot 28/29 AESA high lot Rhinos came out where they came into their own. The SH's of today are nothing like what they were when they first hit the fleet, or even the first 6-7 years in the fleet. I imagine F-35 will be the same. Spiral development has its goods and bads. Personally, I'm not a fan of single engine a/c around the boat. I know we have done that in the past, but.... Just my 2 pence.

Fallonflyr

pilot
"Is NOT!!!"

That playground enough for you?

FULL DISCLOSURE: Post-Navy, I used to be employed by LM. Make of that what you will. Pretty sure there's another "ass hat" for me in there somewhere...
Is too! at least according to the guy who wrote the article. The thesis is that the F-35 is no good and the Navy should use UAV's instead. Damn, I didn't mean to piss in your Wheaties.

Renegade One

None
Damn, I didn't mean to piss in your Wheaties.
Well, crud…lucky I opted for Honey Nut Cheerios this AM. More Wheaties for the landfill, I guess…

Seriously…there have been an awful lot of "F-35 detractors" faced off against myriad uniformed folks and contractors on the issue of bringing this 5th Gen aircraft to the services. I'm just kind of over the whole "it's a POS" argument until we actually start to make them operational and see what happens.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Um…Google is your friend. Don't dismiss Chip Dudderar out of hand just because you've never heard of him. 30 years flying single-seat off the boat and TPS and "commanding" the Strike Directorate gives him the bona fides to put pen to paper.

I think it is a legitimate query, I did Google him and all I found for his post-Navy career is that he is a 'consultant'. Well, who is he a consultant for? Why does it matter? Maybe he has a vested interest in the outcome as Fallonflyer suggested. There are plenty of retired military types that shill for things without being upfront about the fact they are paid, directly or indirectly, by interests who have a vested interested in the outcome of the debate. A 'warning flag' for me is that there is no 'who he is' and if he does in fact have a vested interest at the bottom as is standard for an op-ed in most news organizations, a short and incomplete description of his career in the text of his op-ed doesn't give a full story and one shouldn't have to hunt for it.

Last edited:

Renegade One

None
I think it is a legitimate query, I did Google him and all I found for his post-Navy career is that he is a 'consultant'. Well, who is he a consultant for? Why does it matter? Maybe he has a vested interest in the outcome as Fallonflyer suggested. There are plenty of retired military types that shill for things without being upfront about the fact they are paid, directly or indirectly, by interestes who have a vested interested in the outcome of the debate. A 'warning flag' for me is that there is no 'who he is' and if he does in fact have a vested interest at the bottom as is standard for an op-ed in most news organizations, a short and incomplete description of his career in the text of his op-ed doesn't give a full story and one shouldn't have to hunt for it.
Okay…I've got no dog in the fight...R1 "out".

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot

30 years flying off the boat and commanding the Strike Directorate now makes him...Chip. He is retired, just like you R1, and his self interest in writing this article is definitely questionable. I certainly hope when I am retired I don't hold on to this illusion that current servicemembers have to bow down to a rank and position that I once held. I like the notion of earning respect through actions and words. If a member has an opinion, I don't think it deserves a personal attack, much less from another "Well known" member.

Fallonflyr

pilot
Well, crud…lucky I opted for Honey Nut Cheerios this AM. More Wheaties for the landfill, I guess…

Seriously…there have been an awful lot of "F-35 detractors" faced off against myriad uniformed folks and contractors on the issue of bringing this 5th Gen aircraft to the services. I'm just kind of over the whole "it's a POS" argument until we actually start to make them operational and see what happens.
Valid...The men and women in Naval aviation always seem to do an outstanding job with the tools that are handed to them.

Renegade One

None
30 years flying off the boat and commanding the Strike Directorate now makes him...Chip. He is retired, just like you R1, and his self interest in writing this article is definitely questionable. I certainly hope when I am retired I don't hold on to this illusion that current servicemembers have to bow down to a rank and position that I once held. I like the notion of earning respect through actions and words. If a member has an opinion, I don't think it deserves a personal attack, much less from another "Well known" member.
Peace. No one thinks current service members have to bow down to previous ranks or experience in the great unwashed "retired" community, but it's a predictable fact of life that those are the folks who get hired as consultants.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Peace. No one thinks current service members have to bow down to previous ranks or experience in the great unwashed "retired" community, but it's a predictable fact of life that those are the folks who get hired as consultants.
Beep...beep - Oxymoron Alert - beep... beep! predictable fact;)lol
BzB

Treetop Flyer

pilot
It's also a predictable fact of life that consultants will shill for whoever they are consulting for.