• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tydaddy

hello all...well i finally found out today that i have been "preselected" for NFO...which was my second choice. now i'm torn on what to do. i really want a pilot slot. my recruiter said that my scores were definitely good enough for pilot, it is just that this year is soooo competative that if i re apply in 6 months..i should be accepted. i don't really know a lot about NFO though. would i have better chances if i put an application in with the air force? would it be worth it just to find out? now i'm so confused! please help!
thanks!
tyler

wildflyin69

Grad of OCS 187 Charlie Co. 3rd Plt.
hehe, well as for jibberish i can supply that. I'm trying to decide whether to apply for the airforce PRK study since the one for the marines is ending. Somebody was posting stuff about the airforce here, and from what I've understood it's even more competative. My gamble would be to reapply in 6 months, especially since you have everything set already. But I don't see how it would hurt to consider other options, it never hurts to find out info.

"Push the stick foward, the houses get bigger; pull back, the houses get smaller... unless you keep pulling back, then they get bigger again."

unfUSN

I'm not too sure about the AF... NFOs are the back seat guys... they deal mostly with weapons, navigation and communication. I have a lot of NFOs on my boat. They all really enjoy their job. But you are not a pilot and I think that is what is hard for a lot of people. I love planes and I love to fly... my eyes are keeping me from being a pilot, but I chose to go NFO.

Good luck,
ENS Payne

I will not be softened by the wishful thinking of pacifists
who chose reassurance over reality.
- Unknown

Hudson

You can always go in as NFO and then apply, with a slim chance, of transfering over to pilot. Just an idea. In the end though you are in the Navy or Air Force as an officer and you are in a plane. Hard decision think about it and why you want to be the millitary.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Acutally, the USAF needs pilots more than anything. Give it a shot

Last I heard you couldn't hardly even consider the AF. Please thouroughly explain yourself?!

- Quote on being selected for an OCS spot -
"If you are chosen, you will have been chosen by Men 'who have been there and done that' and have decided that they wished to have you in Their company, there is no such medal worth as much."

kaysee

Hi Tydaddy,

You are in a really touch situation. I am not looking to go into aviation, but if it seems that if you're scores are good enough and they accepted you for NFO, if you reapply they'll see that you are really committed to be a pilot. I think you should go for what you really want. But if they don't accept you, you can always apply for NFO again and tell them why you didn't accept it earlier, the military understands (I think) about going for what you want and not quitting.

doubleeagle

Tydaddy;

For what it's worth I'd say go for the SNA slot. I was offered other positions in the Air Force and turned them down with the dame dilema you are in. I know from talking to active Navy flight instructors that transferring from NFO to Naval Aviator is maybe the hardest thing to do in all the Navy. For several years the Navy had a policy of not allowing that transfer at all. Now they look at the transfer on a case by case basis, which to me means that it is next to impossible. Keep applying for what you really want. You don't want to spend 8 years as an NFO that is miserable just because you didn't wait 6 more months for that shot at an SNA position. Go for it and don't look back.

unfUSN

Originally posted by Hudson
Should we debate on how miserable having to be an NFO is going to be? hmmm...

I am on a Command Ship and there are a lot of NFO's here. I talked with all of them at length about their jobs... some are jets others are props. Most, love their jobs. It's a good life. If you want to be a pilot, be a pilot. If you are physically not qualified for pilot but want to be in aviation and serve your country NFO can be very rewarding.

ENS Payne

There is nothing more enticing, disenchanting, and enslaving than the life at sea.
- Joseph Conrad

Dave Shutter

I would say that if there's a chance (a real chance!) of getting pilot in the future...and it's really what you want...then go for it. I'm not knocking NFO's but the fact is that it's always been easier to get selected for that. If pilot doesn't work out you should still have a shot at NFO. And don't hedge your bets on transferring later on, it happens, but the odds are really awful. You're better off slugging it out now for your pilot slot. Trust me, I was in the same boat.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fact is Mr Shutter, that during my years working in recruiting there has been many times when it is more difficult to get NFO over pilot. Many times, even now, SWO might be near impossible and they are shipping NFOs and pilots by the dozen. It is all about numbers. Slots open and people applying. Much of that is driven by the time of year and last minute adjustments to projected gains and training through put. That said Tydaddy,if your age isn't an issue and you can wait, then don't settle for something less than you want. Just don't be assured that the NFO job will be available if pilot doesn't work out. It may be full for months or they may not want you back after turning it down the first time. I have seen it.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's pretty funny from someone who hasn't even "been there, done that." I enjoy being a 'FO. I don't think I would want it any other way.
For the pilot wannabe's: Just imagine getting graded everytime you have sex...Landing and getting graded on boat landings runs a close parallel. No Thanks!
Just think...would you rather drive the car for 5 hours or would you rather sit there in the passenger seat an tell the driver what to do?
icon_smile_wink.gif

Just my perspective...
ea6bflyr
icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Hudson
Should we debate on how miserable having to be an NFO is going to be? hmmm...

Hudson

ea6bflyr,
That post was sarcastic in reference to the post just above it.
"You don't want to spend 8 years as an NFO that is miserable just because you didn't wait 6 more months for that shot at an SNA position"
If you look next to my name it says that I have been picked to do SNFO. I am looking forward to it.

room5047

ea6bflyr,

this question probably belongs somewhere else, but you seem to be the guy with the gouge. i'm applying for sna and nfo, in that order, but with 100% enthusiasm for whichever i might get. my question is, on the fo side, what are the rough chances of getting an exciting seat in prowlers, growlers, or tomcats versus (yawn) reading a radar display in an e-2 or p-3? in other words, do student nfo's with average grades get better than a fair shot at carrier-based strike jets, or do a lot get the maritime/transport/props bone?

Status
Not open for further replies.