• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Shutter

As for re-testing, rejection and re-applying, yes, you can always re-test and you can always re-apply. The problem you may encounter is that re-application requires extra paperwork on the part of your recruiter. I can tell you first hand that's the last thing they want to do, especially if you've been accepted for a second or third choice. They want to get you out of there! You can always turn down the offer for your other choices and re-apply but there's that paperwork thing again. That's all it is BTW, an offer, like any other job you can say no. If they tell you differently, that you have no other options; they're lying, period.

Again, selection varies from year to year. We were recently told that there are actually pilot shortages due to last years bug push for NFO's. I know a lot of guys who were perfectly qualified for SNA but got hosed by their Rec's, told they had no choice and listened. (Thanx again Gunner, Chief Gus, NRD KC, rocks!) I don't know wether or not you guys on the street will see this is a factor for your selections, sounds like CNRC has been pretty tough on SNA's the last couple months.

Good news: The NFO to pilot transition for API stud's was recently re-instated which is real good news to some guys I know. If your in the top ten percent of your API class and are physically qualified (IE: eyes, anthros and not NPQ'd during OCS) you can put in a request and they are reviewed on a case by case basis. NASC CO has the authority to grant the transfer and after API you're on your way to the front seat. There's a couple guys in my class who are shooting for it so I'll let you know how it goes. If you really want pilot as an applicant I wouldn't gamble on this, a lot can happen in that time. You might be better off toughing it out in the Rec' office to get your slot.

As for rejection you never really know why. I know for a fact my BI score was the deciding factor but for some it will remain a mystery, unless it's medical in which case they have to tell you. While I worked in a Rec' office they had a bunch of guys rejected for SNA. You may have perfect ASTB and PT scores, Tech Major, high GPA and reccomendation letters from RET. Admirals, but if you have "fired from three jobs for arguing with management." on your job statment, or a drug ommision statement that reads: "Marijuana use, 10-15 times, 1/4 ounce inhaled each time." in your app., then don't quit your day job.

As for putting down one choice, I have to agree with what was said above. I've heard of people who've claimed success from it but if I was on a selection board I wouldn't vote for someone with one choice, especially in a real competetive FY with a stack of applications in front of me. Forget about patriotism or $$$, lot's of things can happen to seperate you from your designator and you just took a slot from someone else who might have happily served elsewhere. Best of luck to all. Phew! Long post, time to get back to studying before I end up with GEN-AV orders.

fn

Did you say that they were now considering NFO to pilot switches at API??!! THAT is what I was pinning my hopes upon when I completed API last March but at the time the CO said he couldn't approve my redesignation request. Now that I am in NFO primary I think it too late. Please let me know if you know otherwise. Getting that 13950 designator would mean damn near the world to me.

Agent00JP

"Pretty brave to say someone who only put down pilot is joining the military for themselves and for no other reason, I am only going to put down pilot, say that to me."

Michael Webb on 06/05/2002 14:17:54

Hey Webb,

Don't get your panties in a wad. I was simply referring to the response that ghost gave about the Navy not expecting everyone to come unselfishly. The next time you want to attribute comments solely to me,thereby labeling me, while taking them out of the context of the discussion, think first.

As for your fighting words, I am glad to see you beating your chest and defending someone whose face you know from mine how? Your post count does not make you an expert on all that goes on at a board hearing, yet you spoke in absolutes. 'This is that way' and 'the boards don't care about this.' It seems like you are the one that is being brave in making unfounded assertions of absolute truth.

JP

ghost_ttu

At the risk of sounding old, I don't think anyone is attacking anyone here. I believe we are having opinionated conversation, but I don't think attacking anyone is going to be constructive. I'm not occusing, I'm just saying the tone is probably getting a bit high, and we should consider just respecting each other's opinion. If you disagree with the opinion, just state that you disagree, and the reason for disagreeing.

just my $.02

Hartman

That’s right, ghost, communication is healthy. Trust me guys, I’ve read and seriously considered each of your opinions on this issue. My packet will be going up in the next week or two here (assuming I get past MEPS early next week). I am planning to list pilot as my first and only choice. Why? Because I’m 25 now, and I don’t have time to f*** around here. If my packet gets rejected because of a low ASTB score or medical reason (which I doubt), I want to have a chance to improve my score or get a second opinion from a civilian doctor. Secondly, I’m simply not interested in any other job. Yes, I do want to serve my country and wave the flag, but I’ve worked my skinny white ass off to get where I am today…that’s the American way too. I make good money and I get laid at least 4 times a week. If our country desperately needed people to fight, I can honestly say that I would be willing to fight amongst the ground troops. I’m not too worried about the strength of my packet, but from reading on this board, I can tell that pilot slots aren’t growing on trees right now. My PRT is tomorrow. I’m sure I’ll do fine. My ASTB score, however, is rather marginal compared to some of the 50+ scores that you guys have gotten. I only took this exam once and can’t say that I tried my hardest to prepare. I’m counting on a 3.6 GPA in chemical engineering with 2.5 years work experience to carry some weight. I’m not an idiot, and I know that there can’t be a huge pool of applicants who have demonstrated analytical capacity. What I’m trying to say is that every applicant is different, just like each of us has our own opinion on this matter. If the board is going to reject me because I only listed one choice, well, then that’s life. I will be taking an enormous gamble on my career by walking up to my boss and saying “Oh, by the way, dude, I’m going to OCS next month, but Federal Law states that you have to hold my job in case I get DQ’d at some point.” If the Navy is never willing to take a gamble on quality applicants, then they’re going to have trouble getting quality applicants.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Quick question: Has anyone here (or that you know of) been rejected with an engineering degree or experience? I relly have no idea.

Hartman

quote:
is that true about them having to hold your job incase you get NPQ? I'm not sure about that....

Ghost, I think the law states that your employer has to guarantee your employment for up to two years after leaving work to go into the service. Your recruiter can probably verify the details on this.

ghost_ttu

I'll look into this, but I'd LOVE to get confirmation on this. I would feel so much more at ease going to my flight physical (if I can get accepted dammit!) knowing that if I fail I still get to come back to my cush money making job.

dewahl

I'm gonna refer back to the push up statements made.
Outstanding High by age group is
17-19 is 92
20-24 is 87
25-29 is 84
30-34 is 80

Now these are the scores going into effect in October. But the max push ups to score 100 pts has never been over 100. Why would you put out all that extra effort when you could save it for one of the other exercises? To me it would be like filling up your gas tank with 20 gallons of gas then running 5 more out on the ground just for good measure. If anyone is interested you can refer to the whole PRT chart at this link: http://www.mwr.navy.mil/mwrprgms/prttesttab.pdf

Dave Wahl

Tomcatter14

Well, well, well...another young buck..just like myself, a few years ago. As far as the doubters on your PRT...tell them to screw off...I went through Navy OCS at 25 yrs old, having spent 6 yrs as a prior enlisted Marine. On my out PRT, I did 115 pushups...so it is definitely possible. I, too, put pilot only on my selection space on the application...luckily that is what I got. The only thing I can see that may have effected their decision making process...may have been your Recruiter's write up..or the BIO portion of the ASTB...or as shitty as it sounds, they may have just needed NFOs during your selection board. Who knows...after over 12 years in the military, I'm beginning to realize that sometimes there is no "rhyme or reason" behind half of the shit they do or say. Anyways, I applaud you for sticking to your guns about only being a pilot...if that is what you really want...don't you dare give up that desire. That patriotic stuff is a real feeling, don't get me wrong, but people need to realize this is not just a whimsical thing you run out and do...to just feel great about being an American. This is a career choice..and a life choice. So what I'm saying is that if the Navy isn't giving you what you want...seek elsewhere grasshopper!! Anyways, I took the bull by the horns...told my recruiter exactly what I wanted...let everyone know all along the way, exactly what I wanted and am now doing exactly what I wanted.....flying F-14s in combat. So, I hope this give you some hope or insight about what an old crusty Sailor/Marine thinks. Take care...and keep pressing.

Tomcatter14

schott33

Here's a link for those interested in whether or not your job could be held.

http://www.dol.gov/asp/programs/handbook/userra.htm

P.S. I also only selected AOC and luckily got accepted. Can't wait until September!

Status
Not open for further replies.