• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

letchik

Hi everybody. I was trying to get a slot in the Navy Aviation. My application was completed ( I passed all initial requirements, ASTB, MEPS, PT, etc.) and sent to the Navy selection board. Unfortunately, I did not get a pilot slot. My question is: Is there a chance for me to apply to other armed forces like marines for example for pilot slot or my chances are severely diminished due to my rejection from the Navy Aviation. According to my recruiter they are getting very peaky in giving pilot slots because of limited number of spaces and large number of applicants. Thus, I believe I could try to apply for aviation in other branches such as Air Force or Marines. Is it possible at all? Any thoughts? Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

ghost_ttu

Not familiar with Marines, I do know that Air Force you pretty much have to have a private pilot's license to be considered. Depending on your age, you might be able to apply again. Do you mind saying what your reason for rejection? I was at first told that I'm rejected, but they are still giving me possibilities. It is just taking a lil more time and a few more hurdles.

spidrwmn

Maybe you could send your application in again later (ie: when more spots open up)? Or maybe it would help to retake the exam or the PT test to boost your app.?

- spider

Edited by - spidrwmn on 06/03/2002 18:23:10

letchik

I'm not exactly sure why I didn't get the pilot slot. They don't really give you reasons for rejection. Like I said before it's probably because of the very limited number of slots available, especially considering that it's the end of the year. Moreover, I don't think I'm allowed to take the ASTB test again just because I want to improve it. In regards to PT, I don't believe mine was too bad. 123 push-ups, 99 sit-ups, 10:23 mile run (I know the running time is not too great), how's that sounds? What were your results guys? Now, is it possible to reapply again sometime in the future? What's your story ghost_tt? What else can be done after they reject you? I'm 21 by the way. Thus, I think I have time to reapply later on. The thing is, my second choice is Intel. But I'm not sure if I should go for it if there is a possibility to do something else about the pilot position.

Thanks guys for your input.

ghost_ttu

Damn youngins! 21, relax you have YEARS you can take the ASTB every 6 months if you like. Just talk to your recruiter they will tell you why you were rejected. and it was NOT b/c of your PRT.

Jeff

First of all, being turned down by one branch does not mean you will be turned down by another. So you can always turn around and apply with another service. You can reapply with the Navy also, and I strongly recommend that if flying is what you want to do then reapply and put pilot as your first and only choice. This was a reccomendation, to me, from someone who once sat on the board. Its not supposed to matter, but he said it can, and if thats what you want let them know that. Lastly, I do know peolpe who had to apply more than once before they got picked up. Timing is just about as important as your application, you'll find that throughout training, its 50% how good you are and 50% luck. Best of luck...

Hartman

I'm doing my PRT this Friday. What do they let you get away with on pushups? If it has to be fingertips, widegrip, and chest to the floor; ummm...I might only get 122 pushups in two minutes.

letchik

Thanks guys for your input.

In my application I did put down a pilot position as my only choice. What they did tell me however, is that I can apply for NFO if I want to. But I don't think I'm willing to put so many years in the service and not being able to fly, but sit in the back of the cockpit instead. So I didn't go for it? But now I'm thinking that I should have tried at least. Was it a mistake on my part by not going for NFO ? My question is how much time should pass before I can reapply again ?

Thanks again.

Agent00JP

I have a couple of issues here...

1. 123 Push-ups? While the feat is not impossible and I do not know you from a hole in the ground, I feel that such a score is highly unlikely if done with proper form for an aviation applicant. Is there an underlying issue here? Something we are missing?

2. The fact that you put Pilot as your only choice on the application set you up for rejection. As someone on this board put it, the primary motivation is to serve your country. Flying comes second. If your patriotism hinges on flying, then I feel safer with the Navy's choice. It seems to me that someone of your porported physical ability (having been rejected for pilot)would see BUD/S as the obvious alternative. Why didn't you put a second and third choice?

I apologize if either of these comments is out of line and your patriotism is unquestionable. I just feel these issues need some clearing up.

JP

ghost_ttu

Agent, I agree on the 123 questionable, just b/c that is pretty smoking. But I dissagree with you belief that not putting a 2nd choice underminds your patriotism. People have dreams. And if flying is your dream then you should give yourself the best opportunity to obtain that goal. The Navy doesn't expect everyone to come in unselfishly. They know that people have a dream to be pilots, and some have dreams to be military pilots, and some have dreams to be Navy pilots. Some have dreams to be in the Navy, and would like to be a pilot, but don't care if that doesn't happen. The Navy knows that it will get the best performance and commitment from those that have a true love for doing their job in the Navy. Becoming a pilot, is expensive, and takes a lot of determination and dedication. The Navy realizes this and I would think they would want someone that loves the idea of being a Naval aviator so much, that they will be willing to sacrifice and commit to the challenge.

Shepherd

I would suggest you talk to the Marines. They do pull-ups instead, but with 123 push-ups, it looks like you wouldn't have a problem with 15-20 pull-ups. And they guarantee a pilot slot..or at least used to. They also do a 3 mile run at a pretty decent clip. Any of you Marine Officer Candidates have an opinion?

A posteriori

Agent00JP

I still say that serving your country should come before the job... By putting no other position you are saying either I fly, or I will consider no other service to my country. By putting a #2 and #3 you are not committing to anything. In fact, had I not gotten aviation, there is only a 50-50 chance I would have taken an intel slot (my second choice). If I wanted to serve my country in intel I would likely have applied to the best agency for that job, the CIA.

Also, I disagree with you on the dream aspect. It may be someone's dream, but the Navy has to be prudent about its choices. An applicant's motivation should be taken into account in determining what is best for the Navy. For instance, if Letchik got accepted and proceeds to fail the NAMI medical, what has the Navy gained? Likely this person will just jump ship and the Navy loses the time and $$ spent on training this person to become an officer. Furthermore, what kind of sailor would you have if this candidate washes out of Primary due to unwavering air sickness? You get someone who doesn't really want to be anywhere you are going to put them, they have already expressed this. The same could be true if they do not like the military lifestyle (since its true form is much less glamorous than the film version). There are just too many reasons why someone applying solely for their interests shouldn't necessarily be gambled on. That does not mean it should be a blanket policy to reject those who only put one job, but in doing so an applicant opens the topic of their true motives for serving our country as a member of the Navy (not the Air Force, Army, Marine Corps, Coast Guard, etc.). This would make any such application with marginal test scores, grades or recommendations that much more marginal if I were on the selection board.

JP

Shepherd

This is my first experience with an online forum, and I've got to ask if everyone is always this hostile? Back to letchik's question. If you put down NFO for your second choice and got it, you can always say no and forget about it. Until you swear in there is no obligation.

A posteriori

Edited by - Shepherd on 06/05/2002 16:33:54

ghost_ttu

The BIGGEST problem with putting NFO as second choice is that you will probably get it, and then you can later apply to transfer to SNA provided you haven't shipped to OCS yet. However, once you have shipped you are going to be an NFO. If you don't put a 2nd choice you can take your rejection (like some of the best of us and then re-apply later for your pilot slot. If you have time on your age, go for what it is you want. If you run out of time on your age and you still wish to serve, then consider the NFO slot.

Status
Not open for further replies.