• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

help with practice problems!

speeddypat

None
Hey all, so i feel stupid for asking about these problems because i can do the others just fine...

x/4 + X =
x - x/2 =

the first answer (according to the arco book) is 5x/4, and the second is 4x. I found a couple things wrong in arco, is this one of them or am i just having a major brain collapse?

BackOrdered

Contributor
Hey all, so i feel stupid for asking about these problems because i can do the others just fine...

x/4 + X =
x - x/2 =

the first answer (according to the arco book) is 5x/4, and the second is 4x. I found a couple things wrong in arco, is this one of them or am i just having a major brain collapse?

If I'm not mistaken:

x/4 + X = x/4 + x/1 = 5x/4

Still thinking about the last one....

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
(x/4) + (x) = (x/4) + (4x/4) = (x+4x)/4 = 5x/4

x - (x/2) = (2x-x)/2 = x/2

akpswim

hey there,

with the first problem you basically have x/4 + x/1 and so if you're adding you need to have common denominators. So 4 would be your common denominator so it would become x/4 + 4x/4 and that's how you get your 5x/4.

With adding and subtracting fractions always make sure you have a common denominator and just multiply the numerator by the common denominator (you multiplied x by 4 to get 4x because 4 was your common denominator)

Hope this helps!

Although the second one confuses me because 2 would be your common denominator so you'd have 2x/2 - x/2 which would equal x/2 so I don't know about that one. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
look at it this way... for the x-x/2... make x = 1. the you have 1 - 1/2, which is 1/2. now replace the 1 with the x and you have x/2.

or, you could say that any number minus it half equals its half. and half of x is x/2.

unless its (x-x)/2, which then equals 0. I can think of no way that problem could equal 4x.