• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Help... What's the best idea for me....?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi.. I have just a few questions about the Navy I was hoping someone here could help me with. Now for starters, my ultimate goal is to become a Naval aviator, that's why I posted this message here. I will settle for just being an officer in some other department of the navy, since the aviation is a very competitive section. I do feel that I have what it takes to do this though. I just took the ASVAB and made an overall 81 on it. I scored low on the Word Knowledge section that's why it wasn't higher, so I have been trying to build my vocabulary.

Anyway, I'm a 19 year old High School Graduate, who didn't do very well in High School only because I never went. And I'm not just saying that to say that, I am a very smart individual who just didn't try in High School. I will, in fact, do alot better in college because I know it's very Important. My first question is: Is there any Navy programs that I can go in as Enlisted and eventually become an officer? If so, how long would it take and what are the requirements and chances of me becoming an aviator?

I know you have to have a Bachelor's Degree, but in what? And would going in as enlisted with a navy college tuition program be better for starters, just to go ahead and get the degree out of the way and then try for Officer? Mainly because I don't have the money to go to college so I was thinking the navy could pay for it.

If I do go in as enlisted under a college program do I serve my four years then go to college paid for by the navy, or do I go to college while doing my four years?

I don't want to go to my recruiter and ask these questions because he recruits enlisted and I don't know where an officer recruiter is around where I am from, so I feel I would get better information and opinions from news groups like this. By the way I do have 20/20 in both eyes and being physically fit is not an issue. I was just thinking that because I didn't do to well in High School that it would be harder for me to eventually become an officer/aviator..? I made pretty much C average in History and English, but I made As and Bs in Math and Science.

Any help would be appreciated, Thank You for your time!

Michael

Ironfeliks23

USC- Sr.
I will take a stab at a few of your questions. I am a Senior at USC applying for a SNA slot through direct assess. I cannot speak with any certainty about chances and such (as I am not a recruiter or review board member), however there is a diversified group of gentlemen here, a testiment that drive and persiverance can pay off.

SirSkeletron said:
My first question is: Is there any Navy programs that I can go in as Enlisted and eventually become an officer? If so, how long would it take and what are the requirements and chances of me becoming an aviator?

-Yes, there is a program called Seaman to Admiral 21, you can find more info here. https://www.sta-21.navy.mil/ There is another program for the Corps called MECEP (Marine Corps Enlisted Commissioning Education Program). I dont know terribly much about that program. There are options to both programs for the competitive sailor and marine to apply for specific pilot slots.

SirSkeletron said:
I know you have to have a Bachelor's Degree, but in what?

- Dont matter. I have heard of English, Business, Physics and Engineering all making the cut. Its more on the "overall package," you as a whole. Some degrees are rumored to have modifiers that enhance your gpa, but all in all, if you do well, the degree is flexable. They want to know you know how to learn, and are willing to work hard.

SirSkeletron said:
And would going in as enlisted with a navy college tuition program be better for starters, just to go ahead and get the degree out of the way and then try for Officer? Mainly because I don't have the money to go to college so I was thinking the navy could pay for it.

- The Navy Bachelor Degree Completion Program (BDCP) is a program for hard working college students that first gets the Navy's hooks in you early, and gets you paid for going to college. ($1200 a month???). Otherwise there is ROTC. There is a 2 year scholarship program back when I first looked into it. You may be able to go through a Community College first for 2 years, then apply to go to a 4 year for the last two.

SirSkeletron said:
If I do go in as enlisted under a college program do I serve my four years then go to college paid for by the navy, or do I go to college while doing my four years?

- Depends on the program. From what I have understood, you serve your time, then go to college. Again I yield to any of the much more knowledgable priors here on the forum.

- Go find an Officer Programs recruiter. An Enlisted recruiter will know where to find one, just remember that he is there to help you accomplish your goals. Dont be deterred. Go sit face to face with someone who deals with the Officer Programs often, they want to see you succeed. http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/ You might be able to get a number from here. The local Military Recruiting Depot here in LA has a Lt. who deals with nothing but Officer Programs. He was very helpful finding the program that would get me to where I wanted to go.

The bottom line is this. Do you know what do you want? Will you do what it takes to get there? If the answer to both those is YES...strong and firm. You can find a way.

Best of luck, and if you have any other questions, ask away. The gentlemen here are more then helpful and quite knowledgable.

Good luck.

Ironfeliks23>> Thanks, you were very helpful! Sorry for all the questions all piled up like that, I was just quite confused.

When I asked about the degree subject, what about pilot, it can still be in anything? Because I'm very much interested in Electronic engineering, but if I need an aviation degree to be a pilot I'll do that. I just wasn't sure if you meant it can be in anything to be an officer or both (pilot), that's why I reworded my question.

Thanks for your help once again!

Michael

KempoStyle

Sir Skeletron,

My first advice is to get in contact with a Officer Recruiter. You can find them in the government section of the phone book under Navy Officers Accessions. They should be able to guide you in the right direction.

There are many programs out there for going enlisted to officer. I have a few buddies that were Chiefs and transitioned to officer having 15 years prior service and others that went through ROTC or the Academy. As for myself, I went to college 1st, worked in the business world for 5 years, then went through OCS.

You don't need to have any specific degree. Find something that interests you. My advice is to get a degree in something other then aviation. Reason being, if something happens to you or if you loose interest, you have something to fall back on.

Explore all your options but you have to decide what is in your best interest. You really have to be dedicated to become a Naval Aviator. The road to becoming one is long and challenging.

Good Luck!!!

SAR522

SirSkeletron,
I may be able to give you some advice from the enlisted side. I have been enlisted for 6 years now and just applied for the Seaman to Admiral program this year (pilot option). The reason I enlisted first is because I didn't apply myself in highschool and wasn't mature enough for college. I would recommend that if you feel that you are ready to succeed in college and your goal is to become an officer and aviator, then pursue your degree and apply OCS. If you enlist first and want to apply for the STA-21, realistically you’re looking at about 3-4 years before getting selected. So obviously pursuing your degree now is a much faster route to achieve your goal.

The STA-21 program STRONGLY RECOMMENDS that you pursue an engineering or technical degree.

I'm not sure what college program you are referring to. The navy offers tuition assistance while on active duty but it only covers 12 credit hours per year, so basically one semester. Any other classes you must pay for yourself or from your GI Bill. Also, it is not easy to take college classes while on Sea duty, I worked in engineering and college was virtually impossible. Shore duty is another story, I'm on shore duty now and I attend college full time with a lot of support from my command. So don't be fooled if your enlisted recruiter tries to tell you that you can attend college for free while on sea duty. It's not that simple.

If money is an issue, check out the BDCP program.

Bottom line is think twice about enlisting if you're goal is to earn a degree and become an officer. It is an option, but it may be a much longer path to reach your ultimate goal. I'm not trying to steer you away from the enlisted community, but I've seen many people in your situation disappointed because they were told by a recruiter that they could attend college paid for by the Navy and later found out it's not that easy.

Good luck in achieving your goal. Let me know if you have any other questions about the enlisted side or the STA-21 program.

Status
Not open for further replies.