• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Help!! Old fart trying to fly Navy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

shawn5150

Help Old fart trying to fly Navy!

What does anyone think of my chances of getting accepted into OCS. I will be 27 in June and have been talking with a recruiter who said if I hurry they may be able to get me in and into flight training in time.
I am currently an Airline Transport Rated pilot with over 3200 hours total. I am currently fling Lear-Jets for a charter outfit out of Denver. I also spent three years as a bush pilot in Alaska and I have a BS in Aviation Tech.
I took the ASTB yesterday and with only two days of study I didn't score all that well. I got a 43 with a aqr5 pfar7 nfo4 bipilot4 and binfo4. I know that isn't a great score but maybe with my experience and some luck maybe they will take me?
I should have my packet in by next week and the recruiter said the board might look at it eairly considering my age issue. Does any one know if there ever has been a case where a non prior military has recieved an age waiver?

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
shawn5150 said:
I am currently an Airline Transport Rated pilot with over 3200 hours total. I am currently fling Lear-Jets for a charter outfit out of Denver. I also spent three years as a bush pilot in Alaska and I have a BS in Aviation Tech.

I can't really tell you what your chances are with your ASTB scores, but it looks to me like you definately should NOT be a SWO! I'm just going on a hunch here.

JKD

It doesn't hurt to put in an application, but I don't think you will be able to get into a class and commissioned before age 27.

I just submitted for NFO and Intel. I'm pushing the age limit for NFO (I'll be 32 in December, and I have the 2 year waver for active duty).
30 days after submitting, I was non-select for NFO based on age. I was listed as 4 months too old.

Other than the age thing I thought I had a good package (OAR 74, AQR 9, PFAR 7, NFOFAR 8), but it wasn't enough to get rushed through. My guess is, that once it was passed over and sent to Intel it will not get another look from NFO.

Each designator is different, so it doesn't hurt to put in the application.

Status
Not open for further replies.