• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

HELP! - Need place in Jax for 3 dogs

Rg9

pilot
My wife and I are moving to Jax this weekend and have 3 dogs. No one will rent to us, and base housing won't allow it (which is a little frustrating). We're just getting sick of trying to rent places and are looking to buy. Ideally, we'd like a 3 month lease near NAS Jax so we can find a place. We're good tenants and even got a letter of recommendation from a previous landlord. We'd like to spend $1000-1200/month, but currently have no options, so we're VERY flexible with price. Help!

Thanks,
Chris
612-532-6068
hill0532@umn.edu

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Chris, while not a house, last time I went through Jax my family and I (plus dog) stayed at Lighthouse apts. They have short term leases available. In our case, we actually had to get a fully furnished unit, since our funiture was still in transit, and we were only in Jax temporarily. Just throwing that out there as an option, could give you the time you need to find a house and close on it.

http://www.lighthousect.com/j/s/i/iFrame.jsp?p_usid=&p_poid=IKMGK1587F&p_pgid=7

It is wierd, but we had a couple ppl in my squadron struggling to rent their houses in Jax, and bam, they are all rented now. Maybe the rental market is picking up out there. oh well.

Rg9

pilot
Chris, while not a house, last time I went through Jax my family and I (plus dog) stayed at Lighthouse apts. They have short term leases available. In our case, we actually had to get a fully furnished unit, since our funiture was still in transit, and we were only in Jax temporarily. Just throwing that out there as an option, could give you the time you need to find a house and close on it.

http://www.lighthousect.com/j/s/i/iFrame.jsp?p_usid=&p_poid=IKMGK1587F&p_pgid=7

It is wierd, but we had a couple ppl in my squadron struggling to rent their houses in Jax, and bam, they are all rented now. Maybe the rental market is picking up out there. oh well.
Yeah, everything is being taken FAST right now. We've had a number of properties taken before we could do much with them. As such, we can't really ask for any bargains.

Apparently, FL has apt laws that only allow 2 pets/unit, so that won't be an option. I appreciate the webmaster giving me advice, though. ;)

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I don't know about advice, seems like none of it is working lately! :)

Are you at 30 yet? They have a rental board on the second deck, with ppl posting houses they are trying to rent.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
I strongly reccomend (as a fellow multiple pet owner, 3 dogs 2 cats) that you try to rent from an individual owner and not an agency.

Try Millitary By Owner...
http://www.militarybyowner.com/

We've been successful twice with it and the nice part is, that generally you are renting from someone more understanding about your situation.

Also, I know it doesn't help now, but if you end up here long term, I will be leaving in June and am renting a nice 4 bedroom, pet friendly place about 10 miles from base. Nice owners, VP...Brunswick. Send me a PM if you want some more info.

Rg9

pilot
No, maybe I'll have someone look. I know a few guys that just checked in.

Anyone at VP-30 that has seen anything? Let me know. Thanks.

We've been using militarybyowner. That's how we found a few options, but none of them will allow 3 dogs and a short lease.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
No, maybe I'll have someone look. I know a few guys that just checked in.

Anyone at VP-30 that has seen anything? Let me know. Thanks.

We've been using militarybyowner. That's how we found a few options, but none of them will allow 3 dogs and a short lease.

Just another tip...don't look for a short lease. You can legitimately say that you have no idea how long you will be in Jax...as long as they have a military clause, lease length is immaterial.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Military clauses usually only cover PCS, TAD to a new GEO area, or base housing available.

Then again, when I have invoked it, I have never had a landlord ask me for my new orders.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
I wouldn't buy a place in Jax unless you get orders to a Jax squadron upon finishing VP-30. From the looks of things, the market is still dropping. You might as well get a year long lease of a house and see how things turn out. Keep looking... someone will rent to you for the right price/timing. Also, the Sim/ Wing building has listings for houses for rent/sale as well.

Rg9

pilot
Just another tip...don't look for a short lease. You can legitimately say that you have no idea how long you will be in Jax...as long as they have a military clause, lease length is immaterial.
They don't need a military clause. It's federal law under the SCRA. Regardless, as said, that's only for PCS, so if we buy a house we'd still be paying for rent.

The big problem right now is the 3rd dog. No one will rent to us.

From the looks of things, the market is still dropping.
How much lower do you think the housing market will go? I'm willing to swallow the closing costs if I can sell it for the same price.

Machine

Super *********
pilot
None
Site Admin
OP: Although it sounds like you'd like to buy a house, why not rent a house for a year then buy a house after your lease expires? I guess I'm just not seeing the rush at buying a house right away, especially since it seems you aren't familiar with the area and you need to find a place to live when you arrive.

Rg9

pilot
OP: Although it sounds like you'd like to buy a house, why not rent a house for a year then buy a house after your lease expires? I guess I'm just not seeing the rush at buying a house right away, especially since it seems you aren't familiar with the area and you need to find a place to live when you arrive.
Yeah, I want to do that. No one will rent to someone with 3 dogs, though, at least not anything we'd like (price range, location, quality, etc.). So I'm looking for a short term place that may not be ideal (which we can deal with cause it's short term) so we can buy some place that is.

Machine

Super *********
pilot
None
Site Admin
Well, something has to give...Try negotiating a higher security deposit or offer an "extra pet fee" or something. Or go with a diff. location/price/etc. Hopefully you're not limiting yourself to within 10 miles of base. Jax is a huge city and well-connected. I live 22 miles away and probably have the same commute time as someone living in Orange Park.