• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Help: my knee just came apart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malice 1

pilot
I'm freakin out. My left knee hurts like hell.

I have been training really hard the past few months to get ready for TBS. I don't want to be the "bag of ass" that everyone is so quick to point a finger at.

The past few months I have felt a considerable lulling ache in my left knee after I run 3+ miles. I have been shrugging it off and telling myself to quit being a pussy. I guess that mental conditioning stuff only works for so long. Tonite it hurt really bad after I finished a 3 mile leisure run. It seems to be getting steadily worse week by week.

A little about me:

I was a fat kid untill I turned 18. My family has a 200 year history of being unathletic and fat. I wanted to break the cycle, so I started busting my butt for pre OCS PT training. PT has never been my strong point. I was prolly in the lower 3rd of my OCS rankings for PT.

I have wanted to be a fighter pilot since I can remember. I have wanted to be a Marine since High school. I will be god damned if I will let a ****ing knee problem stand in my way.

What can I do to save this thing from falling apart? I guess I ought to break down and buy some fresh running shoes. Mine are like 1.5 years old, and they were punished through PLC seniors. I have been taking Osteo porosis pills(sp?) for the past 2 months. It helps a little, but not much. Can anyone recomend some Magic Potion from GNC for my knees?

Should I start wrapping it before I go to the gym? Should I see a doc? Should I quit my pre TBS crap job as a construction worker? It seems to be worse since I started working there. I have to stand, crawl, kneel, etc... all day long.

I'm 21 years old. I can't believe I am falling apart already. :icon_rage

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Can you describe the pain better? Under the kneecap? Outside? Inside? Above?

Is it shooting, is it tight? Does it hurt more going up or down stairs? How about if you are sitting in the same position for a long time, then move it?

I had a similar thing happen a few months ago, one day I woke up and my knee just felt weak. Shrugged it off, went for a 7 mile run, got 3.5 out and had one of the most painful experiences of my life coming home.

Also: Go to a running store and buy some new shoes. Yours are too old.

sublime259

go to GNC and ask about Glucosamine. It's basically for joint flexibilty, though it takes about 1-2 months to start feeling it.

Malice 1

pilot
It is not a sharp pain that shoots up any particular part of my leg. It is a dull but very noticable ache that radiates from the center of my kneecap. It feels like it is underneath the kneecap.

On a bad day, the ache will extend from my kneecap region into my quadrecep. It feels like I got hit there with a baseball bat.

It hurts most after a distance run, but other things can bring it on:
-standing still for long periods of time
-kneeling and standing multiple times
-kneeling for a long period of time

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Here is a good resource. Of course nothing beats seeing a doctor.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,5033,s6-78-79-0-6899,00.html

These two seemed the closest:
Of course, this isn't all that accurate. When I had my knee problems, I "diagnosed" myself as having Patellofemoral Pain.

But the pain didn't go away until I started doing ITB stretches...so I think I had/have ITB Syndrome. This is why you need to see the doc.

Q: Do you feel stiffness over the front or inner side of your kneecap, especially after sitting or kneeling? Does it hurt more walking down steps? Does the pain go away a few minutes into your run?

If the answer is yes you could be having Patellofemoral pain, see [A] below.

[A] Patellofemoral pain can be caused by alignment problems, damage to kneecap cartilage, overpronation, or muscle/tendon weakness or tightness. You can run through most patellofemoral pain, says Robert Wilder, M.D., of the University of Virginia, but you may need to cut back on distance, hills, or intensity. (But be extra careful if you have chondromalacia, a form of arthritis that causes patellofemoral pain.) Strength training, wearing a knee brace, taping your arches or wearing an orthotic, and replacing worn shoes or wearing motion-control shoes can help.

Q: Do you feel achiness under your kneecap? Is your knee swollen? Have you logged more than 400 miles in your shoes? If the answer is yes, you could have Osteoarthritis, see [D] below.

[D] Osteoarthritis is the wear and tear of cartilage. The pain can flare up on a run or a leisurely walk, depending on the severity and your age. Good news: Moderate running is okay, Wilder says. Cut back on mileage, hills, and pace when symptoms occur. Consider getting new shoes after 300 miles instead of 400 to 500 miles. Include a good strengthening program that focuses on hamstrings, quads, shins, and gluteals. Wearing a knee brace and taking nutritional supplements of chondroitin and glucosamine also are recommended.

MNU-OCS

Have you ever taken a fall directly on it recently or rotated on it bad? I have had a similiar problem, just not on the level of yours. I take Judo, and when i first started i didnt know how to fall right and when i was sparring with my instructor he flipped me over his back and slammed me on the mat, the problem wasnt the slam, but the way i landed, i landed directly on the knee with my leg folded in if that makes sense. Well it didnt hurt for a while but the next day i felt a twinge in my knee and it got worse. I prescribed for myself a nice dose of Ibuprofen (best for pain) and low PT. I stayed off my knee and it eventually got better. Now i dont know your situation in much detail, but i will suggest this. STOP your PT for the time being b/c your aggravating the problem and your probably suffering some inflamation in your ligaments. Ice it maybe putting some support under it like a pillow at night would help. I would talk to the foreman or boss at work and see if he can help you with your work environment, if hes a butt crack to you then maybe you should look elsewhere for a job b/c an igorant boss is not worth your career as a Marine officer. Still if the problem persist i would recommend seeing a doc its not worth having something REALLY bad happen at TBS during a training exercise or something. I am by no means a doc so take it for what you will.

lance

Hey geoff,

Walmart has some stuff called Osteo BIFLEX (COMES IN A BLUE BOTTLE). Its the same **** we sold at gnc when I worked there, but the doses are a bit smaller. Its got glucosamine, condroitine, and the MSM. All that **** is good for your joints, helps with your cartledge and stuff. MIGHT TRY SOME NATURAL FATTY ACIDS (omega3,6,9) TOO- they are starting to suggest that with the condroitine to help with the aches and pains-don't ask why just know they are putting the two together in some kit at GNC.

P.S. its a long shot
You might go to a back doctor. Have him check to see if your arches need more support. If your aches have fallen at all it puts more stress on the lower back, which is connected to the Hammies, which in turn can ***k your knees up over time. It may have nothing to do with it, but if the pain moves up into the lower back and you get to where the knee feels locked out, it could be a simple fix with some arch supports, and a back adjustment to realign the hips.

PEACE OUT MALICE, SEE YA WHEN YOU GET BACK THIS WAY.

PSno23

GEAUX TIGERS
pilot
Malice 1 said:
I'm freakin out. My left knee hurts like hell.

I have been training really hard the past few months to get ready for TBS. I don't want to be the "bag of ass" that everyone is so quick to point a finger at.

The past few months I have felt a considerable lulling ache in my left knee after I run 3+ miles. I have been shrugging it off and telling myself to quit being a pussy. I guess that mental conditioning stuff only works for so long. Tonite it hurt really bad after I finished a 3 mile leisure run. It seems to be getting steadily worse week by week.

A little about me:

I was a fat kid untill I turned 18. My family has a 200 year history of being unathletic and fat. I wanted to break the cycle, so I started busting my butt for pre OCS PT training. PT has never been my strong point. I was prolly in the lower 3rd of my OCS rankings for PT.

I have wanted to be a fighter pilot since I can remember. I have wanted to be a Marine since High school. I will be god damned if I will let a ****ing knee problem stand in my way.

What can I do to save this thing from falling apart? I guess I ought to break down and buy some fresh running shoes. Mine are like 1.5 years old, and they were punished through PLC seniors. I have been taking Osteo porosis pills(sp?) for the past 2 months. It helps a little, but not much. Can anyone recomend some Magic Potion from GNC for my knees?

Should I start wrapping it before I go to the gym? Should I see a doc? Should I quit my pre TBS crap job as a construction worker? It seems to be worse since I started working there. I have to stand, crawl, kneel, etc... all day long.

I'm 21 years old. I can't believe I am falling apart already. :icon_rage

Don't try and be a hardass - go see a doctor. That's the same thing they'll tell you at TBS if you get hurt. Don't let injuries linger, get them taken care of immediately. Believe me, you do not want to be stuck in Mike Company healing your broke self while the rest of your company is finishing up training. If you can heal up within 90 days, you can pick up with another company wherever you left off. If it takes longer than that, you have to start ALL over again, from zero week. So imagine getting dropped in week 18 for an injury you got in week 8 but didn't want to say anything about. There is a fine line between being hard and stupid. Don't let a lingering knee injury make you stay longer at TBS than you have to.

GeoffStahl

Former E-2/FA-18 NFO
Concur with the previous post, go see a doc. Otherwise you are just guessing and could make things significantly worse. I hate docs just like the rest of you guys but there are times to see one and joint injuries are one of them.

JayT12

Get new shoes. If you're training regularly, you should be replacing your shoes around the 6 month mark. Believe it or not, old shoes make you very susceptable to stress fractures and joint problems - which is probably why you're knee is messed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.