• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Help me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richthofen

My name is Seth.
I came to US in summer of 96, joined ANG 03, earned my US citizenship recently.

Now I'm working on to become a naval pilot.
I have took my 2nd ASTB last weekend and got following results.
OAR-53

All others-5,5,5

My current GPA isn't that great (2.78/4.0)

I finished all my application and waiting for my CO's LoR

Couldn't slept well on those day for that.
Do you think I have chance?

nugget81

pilot
Unfortunately you've asked a question that no one can really answer for you.

Your OAR is decent, you'll want to raise your other scores to probably 7's, and your GPA is really going to hurt you (it seems that around 3.5 is competitive nowadays). If you really nail the ASTB on your third chance then it would greatly improve your chances of being selected.

But then again really who knows? You could get selected with your package the way it is. It's all up to the board and how they perceive you and your package. Best of luck!

dufault.2

Hey man, my GPA was in the tank too, and I went to a school hardly known for its academics. Hot ASTB scores and LoR's from military types you've served with can make up for a multitude of sins (i.e. studying bottles instead of books). If you can, hold off on the app, search this site over for the good ASTB study guides, and smack that test up next time. If you can't wait, turn the damn thing in. Only dumb thing you can do now is not apply. Good luck.

Richthofen

Thank you grunge,
I never was a partyboy. My major problem is my language, yes english is my 2nd language.
and to achieve this dream, I have quit most personal pleasure(Drinking, smoking, going to the club, TV, Video/comp game, Origami etc) and all I do those day is Study and Kendo(japanese fencing), and praying.

I know my ASTB isn't best score but I'll do my best and hoping miracle will happen, just like I have made through my enlistmen IET.

Thank you again.

Richthofen said:
Thank you grunge,
I never was a partyboy. My major problem is my language, yes english is my 2nd language.
and to achieve this dream, I have quit most personal pleasure(Drinking, smoking, going to the club, TV, Video/comp game, Origami etc) and all I do those day is Study and Kendo(japanese fencing), and praying.

I know my ASTB isn't best score but I'll do my best and hoping miracle will happen, just like I have made through my enlistmen IET.

Thank you again.

Don't quit the video games! :D But seriously, here are some questions:

1. What is your major?
2. What commissioning program are you going through?
3. When do you graduate?

1. There is an offset for your major. Engineering=best.

2. Hearing from some people on this site, it seems that OCS is currently the hardest to get flight contracts with. I may be wrong, but reading rejection stories from guys who got 9-9-9 on the ASTB makes one think...

3. Keep in mind that grunge, assuming he's at the T-45 stage, probably got into flight school around the 03 timeframe when they were taking a lot more people (not saying he didn't earn it, but it was just easier back then). Right now, it's pretty tight, so you need competetive scores. But if you're not planning on getting commissioned for a couple years, they might have a great need again. No one knows.

Whatever you do, keep your hope alive and enjoy life! A buddy of mine just got his flight contract with all 5's as well on the ASTB (although his GPA was pretty good too). That's part of being a naval aviator - enjoying what you're doing. At least I hope so, otherwise the next 10 years of my life will suck... :(

Good luck! :icon_smil

Geese

You guys are dangerous.
Crash course in brain surgery;

Go to an pilot-supply/aviation supply store. Buy a private pilot course guide. Better yet, buy the FAA "Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge". Reference number FAA-H-8083-25. This will do wonder's for your aeronautical knowledge if you learn it, and picking up a Private Pilot Written Test Bank book (available from ASA or Jeppesen) will also help with the aeronautical questions. Learn these books, know these books. It will take at least weeks if you hit it hard, and you need to hit it hard. Don't re-take the ASTB untill you are ready, in other words do it on YOUR terms.

Physics, we are talking either 12th grade or college freshman level, maybe go buy both books and get familer with topics and problems involving; pulleys, torque, balancing things like see-saws, hydraulic pressure, force vectors, mechanical advantage, levers, ramps, gears, and any other major topics. The test does NOT go into depth with any of these topics, but you should know the basic principles behind each of them and be able to do simple problems involving them.

Math, this is the kicker. I haven't had "word problems" since sometime in high school, even though I am a college grad. There was no time spent on such questions, and I felt that these were the most challenging part of the test. Someone suggested a book that focuses ENTIRELY on word questions. IMO that would be a great way to go, and the other math such as BASIC trig, powers, and basic computation, is not very hard. Study up on trig a little, but you are not going to have to do sin, cos, etc, what you need to know are things like area of triangle, area of circle, circumfrance of circle, supplumentry angles, complentry angles, etc.

Nautical knowledge. I don't know a good place to look for this. My dad was a senior cheif and we had a boat and went boating a lot. You learn a lot by absorption in that enviroment. Some basic sailing/nautical books might be good. The glossary would be extremely helpful in such a book. Know all the parts of a boat. Know which way a rudder turns a boat (hint, exactly the same as an airplane).

Spacial Appreciation. There are things that I teach as a flight instructor that exactly parallel the spacial appreciation. Draw a huge cross-hair in the picture in the spacial apprectiation section (but don't really because you aren't supposed to write in the book, but on the other hand you can always erase or just mark a light dot in the center) on the picture, with the horizontal and vertical lines parallel with the PICTURE and not the ground.

In other words it will look like a "window" now with huge cross hairs. Now, you can determine if the airplane is climbing, if it is level, or if it is diving. If the horizen line is below that dot in the center, it's climbing. If it is on the dot, it is level regardless of the bank. If it is above then the aircraft is diving. Now, as you do this (it only takes a few seconds) say out loud "the aircraft is banking to the right, and diving, and heading out to sea (based on the picture)". Now that you have verbalized what is going on, it will be easy to pick out the picture that matches those 3 criteria. It is a little difficult to describe what I mean through words, but hopefully you can get the "idea". What I am doing is giving you a method that will always work. Determine the 3 factors by making "crosshairs", either for real or imaginary, and then look for those 3 factors in the possabilities.

Reading Comprehension, again this is a hard one to nail down, as it seems that reading comprehension is something that is gradually learned and not picked up very fast. I'm sure studying reading comprehension questions will help though. If it helps, on the form that I took of the ASTB (form 5) the ONLY reading comprehension questions asked you to "select the true statement based on the paragraph above". Those were the ONLY reading/verbal skill questions in the test.

Most universities/colleges allow you to retake courses for better grades. That could help big time if you are at all capable of doing so. Shooting to raise your GPA to 3+ would be a huge improvement. 3.anything sounds infinitely better than 2.something.

So, what you have to do is become resourcefull. There are a few resources out there that have the information you need. The amount of studying you do is going to be fairly excessive compared to the amount of critical information you are going to get out of each of these areas, but remember that the information is CRITICAL, and your score is CRITICAL, so the future of your life is WORTH studing your arse off for a few weeks or months to pass the test with competative scores. Anything worth doing is worth doing well. Life in the military is competative, so get used to putting out the effort, even if it seems far beyond what you thought you were capable of at first.

Jas1029

"Nautical knowledge. I don't know a good place to look for this. My dad was a senior cheif and we had a boat and went boating a lot. You learn a lot by absorption in that enviroment. Some basic sailing/nautical books might be good. The glossary would be extremely helpful in such a book. Know all the parts of a boat. Know which way a rudder turns a boat (hint, exactly the same as an airplane). "

This has stumped me as well. It seems all the study guides point to different aspects of nautical knowledge. You can study parts of a PWC, but know nothing of the parts of a sailboat, or a rowboat. I think it is best to go on the net and find a boating glossary which there are plenty and draw pictures of the parts.

Richthofen

Thank you all.
Chris, I'm Mech Eng Tech student and and I'm going for OCS at nov of 06.

I'm not sure Where to get that book, at this moment. I'm sending my application anyway.

But yes, Nautical info is bit of problem too.

nugget81

pilot
Richthofen said:
Thank you all.
I'm sending my application anyway.

That's a good idea because you can always reapply if you don't get picked up the first time. If that happens then you'll want to find out why you were denied and then fix that problem area(s). The guys have given you some really valuable advice in the posts above - be sure to use it!!

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
i put together a study guide for my OSO, it has links to study gouges you should use
www.columbia.edu/~mmx1/astb

Other folks, let me know if there are improvements you think I can make. I'll incorprate some of Geese's advice when I get a chance.

Geese

You guys are dangerous.
Jas1029 said:
This has stumped me as well. It seems all the study guides point to different aspects of nautical knowledge. You can study parts of a PWC, but know nothing of the parts of a sailboat, or a rowboat. I think it is best to go on the net and find a boating glossary which there are plenty and draw pictures of the parts.

The study guides and gouges are not great in this regard. I have not run across any (on this site, or put out by ARCO) that give you anywhere near enough nautical information/knowledge. It seems like these guides just hit up small random areas in nautical knowledge.

Jas1029

Geese said:
The study guides and gouges are not great in this regard. I have not run across any (on this site, or put out by ARCO) that give you anywhere near enough nautical information/knowledge. It seems like these guides just hit up small random areas in nautical knowledge.

I've been checking out fundamentals of sailing books. They have pretty much all the questions ive been seeing.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Any fundamental of sailing book should have all you need to know about nautical knowledge. It's mostly "the pointy end of the boat is called what?" sort of stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.