• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Help Me Decide on a College

Coldnavy

CTO1 to IW Officer
When I went through NSI the most common schools were:
- Old Dominion
- South Carolina

Some other schools that are friendly to OCs are:
- Washington State
- Idaho
- Cal Maritime
- North Florida

Don't go to WAZZU... It sucks over there and the people smell bad.

There is only one school, the best school... U of W ! Go HUSKIES!!!!!!!!!

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
There is only one school, the best school... U of W ! Go HUSKIES!!!!!!!!!

I had quite a negative experience trying to get into that school. I was well qualified in all respects (>3.5 gpa, A.A. degree ect.), but they said I needed ONE MORE F*$#ing semester of Spanish that I didn't have. This was evidently a show stopper. The ROTC unit was also less than accommodating...they wouldn't even return my phone calls. As you can tell, I'm not bitter at all! :D

Bumper365

bumper.. I'm from Arkansas as well, Jonesboro actually. There are NO NROTC schools in Arkansas.. I'd say probably the closest would be University of Memphis... look into it further here: https://www.nrotc.navy.mil/colleges.cfm.. good luck

Luke
Oh really? Where I am right now is somewhat close to Jonesboro. I'm in Brinkley right now. But I live and attend high school at Harrison. So no ROTC at Arkansas huh? Luke, have you taken any kind of NROTC or are assosiated with the Navy?

EM1toNFO

Killing insurgents with my 'messages'!!
None
I'm active duty enlisted Nuke for about 8.5 years now. I didn't do any ROTC in high school or college before joining. Yeah we played Brinkley in football ( I went to Trumann High School)

EM1

donmagicjuan

Don't. Bite. Your friends!
pilot
I'm not sure if the OP is even reading this thread anymore, but I'll offer some advice anyway.

Whatever you do, don't allow what you've heard regarding the 'treatment' of prior enlisted (OCs) within a given ROTC unit to influence your decision to apply to the respective school. ROTC units are run by a small staff of officers on shore duty, and the perceived treatment you receive as a prior can change as frequently as those billets exchange hands. Anyone who's been attached to a duty station long enough to witness a change of command knows what I'm talking about. As an OC who took the entire 36 months to finish a degree, I've seen a fairly wide range of expectations from the command leadership just within my one school. The bottom line is, trying to get into a unit with a reputation for going easy on its OCs is like trying to game the aviation pipeline for jets-- you're only setting yourself up for disappointment.

You can, however, somewhat reliably select a school with a greater or lesser percentage of OCs that make up the ROTC unit as a whole. The number of STA-21 students at a unit is usually influenced by that school's proximity to a Navy base. The larger the base, the larger the STA-21 representation. A school in the middle of BFE, on the other hand, is not likely to have many OCs at all. Obviously, each of these extremes has its merits, but it's something to consider when applying.

Good luck,
Don

EDIT: FMRAM, I'm sorry to hear about your troubles with UW. I wish I had heard of your situation when you were trying to apply. FWIW, I've never seen an OC complete an AA degree while I was here, mostly due to the course sequencing requirements and the tailoring to a four-year plan. If you have transfer credits, however, you'd probably be alright. Furthermore, there is no foreign language requirement in the College of Engineering, so I'm not sure what their beef was with your Spanish, either.

user2176

STA-21 Core Selectee FY08
Contributor
The number of STA-21 students at a unit is usually influenced by that school's proximity to a Navy base. The larger the base, the larger the STA-21 representation. A school in the middle of BFE, on the other hand, is not likely to have many OCs at all.

So is Arizona in the middle of BFE? They have AF base...

It's a nuke approved school... for all you nukes out there. :D

donmagicjuan

pilot
I haven't spoken with anyone at AZ in a while, but that school has always been popular with the baby nukes.

As an aside, you're not considering becoming a nuke O-ganger, now are you?

Don

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
EDIT: FMRAM, I'm sorry to hear about your troubles with UW. I wish I had heard of your situation when you were trying to apply. FWIW, I've never seen an OC complete an AA degree while I was here, mostly due to the course sequencing requirements and the tailoring to a four-year plan. If you have transfer credits, however, you'd probably be alright. Furthermore, there is no foreign language requirement in the College of Engineering, so I'm not sure what their beef was with your Spanish, either.

Thanks for the info. When I was applying to UW, I already had an AA degree and >90 transferable credits from a 4 year degree. I wasn't applying to the College of Engineering, I was applying to the College of Business and thus the nazi foreign language requirement. :(

donmagicjuan

pilot
Oops. I thought you meant AA as in "Aeronautical Engineering." Now I get it-- sorry for the mixup.