• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Help! Does OCS pro-rec trump involuntary mobilization?!

VTFlyer

I am currently serving in the reserves and was assigned to the "ready mob pool" RMP for 2013. I have not been tagged for a mobilization yet but I am considering volunteering for an Afghanistan deployment (Oct ship date) if I do not get selected during the MAR13 board.

I have a conditional release approved for the board. According to our "mobilization" rep if I get tagged or volunteer for mobilization those orders will take precedence over a selection at the OCS board.

Is this true? I assumed that an OCS selection would be enough to grant a waiver/cancel of mobilization orders.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Yes, mobilization will take precedence, especially if you volunteer. I'd recommend NOT volunteering for deployment if you're serious about going to OCS. If you don't volunteer, you may be able to get them to put you on some for of administrative hold, pending the results of the OCS board. YMMV.

VTFlyer

Yes, mobilization will take precedence, especially if you volunteer. I'd recommend NOT volunteering for deployment if you're serious about going to OCS. If you don't volunteer, you may be able to get them to put you on some for of administrative hold, pending the results of the OCS board. YMMV.

The only reason I was even considering volunteering is because the orders are for a Scan Eagle Opertor (flying...kind of haha). That would be a good altrenative to not getting picked up for OCS and is waaaaaay better than standing guard in GITMO or some shit box somewhere else. My age is running out (almost 28) for pilot selection so this year is my last hoorah.

So the conditional release will not hold any weight against a mobilization?

exNavyOffRec

We had the same thing happen to one of our OCS pro rec's, when his command was notified of his OCS date his mobilization was cancelled.

FYI, PERS-9 made the decision, it is not the commands to make.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
One of the designated people, I still think it is odd that a Captain in charge of a reserve center has no authority to sign off a DD368 but a YN2 at Pers 9 does.

Welcome to the absolute shit-show that is the Reserve Industrial Manning Complex. It's always fun to watch an E-5 or E-6 task an O-4 on an Admiral's staff, and then tell him that he can't do something...all in "support" of the operational Reserves.

No, you didn't touch a nerve, or anything.

SeabeeIT2

I am currently serving in the reserves and was assigned to the "ready mob pool" RMP for 2013. I have not been tagged for a mobilization yet but I am considering volunteering for an Afghanistan deployment (Oct ship date) if I do not get selected during the MAR13 board.

I have a conditional release approved for the board. According to our "mobilization" rep if I get tagged or volunteer for mobilization those orders will take precedence over a selection at the OCS board.

Is this true? I assumed that an OCS selection would be enough to grant a waiver/cancel of mobilization orders.

This happened to me just two weeks ago as I was notifed 14 Feb and had a Ready to Load date of 15 Feb. I found everyone, including the command I was going to, to be extremely supportive.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
The only reason I was even considering volunteering is because the orders are for a Scan Eagle Opertor (flying...kind of haha). That would be a good altrenative to not getting picked up for OCS and is waaaaaay better than standing guard in GITMO or some shit box somewhere else. My age is running out (almost 28) for pilot selection so this year is my last hoorah.

So the conditional release will not hold any weight against a mobilization?

If this is your last chance year to get picked up why are you even considering pissing away a potential opportunity in order to work on a remote controlled pos?