• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Helo's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstock79

I am a graduating senior from Embry-Riddle. I have been in BDCP (SNA) since SEP2001 (OCS 20SEP2003). I have completed all of my civilian flight ratings and I think that any community would be challenging and fun. I am wondering if anyone could provide me with some perspective on flying Helos as far as mission and career opportunities? Will flying Helos reduce opportunities for command? Are Helo drivers able to instruct in fixed wing(T-44, T-34) on their shore tour? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks--Mike

WT

Mike,
I was enlisted aircrew in SH60B's, and am in the process of applying for OCS. To begin, I loved flying helos. The squadron atmosphere was quite relaxed and much of the shore time flying was navigation training(over land and water), many FAM flights, and some tactical training. I was part of the HSL community, fly off of Cruisers, Destroyers, and Frigates. This made all of the difference in the world as far as I am concerned. During my four years flying, I only "saw" a carrier once and when you fly helos that's a good thing. Both of my times at sea was spent in a SAG (surface action group) of two destroyers and a frigate. Our mission was mostly to search for, investigate, and querry contacts over the horizon for the group. Basically, we were given an aircraft and told to go look for something, so we just got to fly where ever we wanted until a specific mission came up. Like I said, this was a very laid back and independent community. HSL communities don't often, if ever, detach more than two helos at a time. The CO and XO(CDRs)do not go to sea, the department heads (LCDRs)deploy as the Officer in Charge of the detachment (highest ranking aviator on board). So there is individual responsibility early on. It was also nice that there were only seven aviators on a single bird detachment and nine on a two bird detachment (talk about big ego's). Needless to say, I loved the HSL community. Anything else?--WT

Kim

Most of the instructors in primary (T-34) where helo people, so yes you can go back and fly fixed wing.

mstock79

Thanks WT- I also spoke with a buddy who is flying 60B's out of Kaneohe MCBH. Good luck with the OCS. Mike

WT

No Problem, I love telling stories about my life. Just like the ad says "If your life were a book, would anyone want to read it?" If there is anything else about the HSL community or Helos in general go ahead and ask and I'll try to answer.--WT

Georgiaboy74

Can you go to OCS, API, and whatever path leads you to a NFO... and be assigned to Helo's? I would much rather prefer to fly in Helo's than fixed wing. I have a thing for Helo's and have thought about learning to fly them in my civilian life. Any info appreciated.

WT

From my experience a person has to be either a Pilot or Enlisted Aircrew in order to fly as a crew in Helos. So if you become a NFO then you will end up in fixed wing aircraft. That is unless there is a squadron somewhere that I don't know about. Helos fly with two pilots upfront and enlisted aircrew in the back operating equipment and everything else that the crew does.

--WT

jaerose

Is there anything to the rumor that the helo drivers were at the bottom 40% of their primary classes (except those who chose them)? I'm not meaning any offense, anyone who's become a Naval Aviator has my UTMOST RESPECT, but that's what a guy in my BDCP program told me he'd read from some gouge. Please correct me if I'm wrong...I'd be happy flying a wheaties box if it had wings =)

JR

Kim

I don't think that all helo drivers were from the bottom 40%, I don't think I was. You do need a 50 NSS (random number that the navy assigns to your grades, based on rank and magic) to fly jets or E2/C2 so that doesn't leave all that much except helos, P-3 and EP-3. I might believe that the bottom 40% get helos, but not that helo drivers were all the bottom 40%. I wouldn't believe any exact numbers. Selection is a bit of magic, the week I selected only one of about 20 got jets, yet earlier in the year they were giving jets to almost anyone. This means that people with really high grades got helos, while earlier in the year people with not so great grades got jets. It's all luck of the draw. They say that the Navy is going to be about 50% Helos (60s) and the rest F18's eventually. Of course I don't really believe they can get rid of the mighty MH-53! -Kim

Status
Not open for further replies.