• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Helos and the airlines...

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
The is one on this board. Marine helo pilot and now major airline Captain.

Hell if a NFO like me can do it, why can't a rotorhead?

plc67

pilot
The Navy/Marine Corps ones I know got their fixed wing hours in the VTs as an IP. I got FACed and had to get my CFI to get my fixed wing hours up and then flew commuter, charter and corporate before I got called up. I had 8200 hours when that happened, about 6800 of which was fixed wing(single engine, multi engine,turbojet,etc).
To state the obvious I definitely recommend getting your fixed wing hours through the military.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
State police or air-ambulance maybe. Most of the Navy/MC helo guys I know that got out (and are still flying) are doing that sort of deal.

plc67

pilot
I forgot about one Navy helo driver who was hired by the DEA, I believe, and flew both helos and fixed wing. He didn't fly military fixed wing beyond the SNA experience, but thanks to his civilian government job he is now a heavy jet captain. It's not easy but it's far from impossible.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Looks like no airlines for me...

How does 5000 JetRanger hours play on the outside nowadays?

Believe it or not, the hiring on commercial aviation side of things is looking a lot like the fixed-wing hiring in the 80s and 90s...all vietnam era bubbas are finishin' up...and the demand for helo pilots is starting to get louder...

~1500 PIC helo hours will guarentee you a commercial helo job (based on bubbas being hired in the last 6 months from the HTs)

As for fixed-wing, One of my former IPs when I was a stud got his ME time at PNS on the weekend using his GI Bill, then rushed a few Air Force Reserve squadrons in Dover, DE (they pick their pilots like fraternities). He now flys C-5 Galaxys and hasn't paid taxes in 2 years (hits Bahrain, Kuwait or Iraq every month, at least once). Also gets per diem (lives 54 miles from work; anything over 50 miles in the AF Reserves gives him per diem). He gets a lot of $hit for his gold wings in a lead wings world, but loves it.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Yes, here also... One of our 727 Standards Check Airman was a Marine Helo Pilot... Now a VERY senior Captain.. Built his time on the outside.. Corporate and Commuters.. Back in the day with the shorter Military commitments wasn't that big a deal but now with Majors hiring slowed and the Long ass commitments, still doable but happens a lot later... Nothing wrong with that but a few retreads (for lack of a better word) that I have flown can be a bit grumpy... Due to the age 60 rule they are angry that they will only get a couple or three years as Boeing Captains before they see retirement.. And they will never see left seat on a widebody.. Not all but many... But if the airlines are your dream then make it happen but the faster you can get on a seniority list the better the QOL.. My short few years $.02

S.O.B.

pilot
Any of you guys know of any helo bubbas that went on to fly for the airlines?

These days I don’t get the attraction. The pay sucks. You have zero stability. Airway flying is painful. I guess it's the sweet uniforms. :tongue2_1