• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Helo mission & squadron questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
I've read a lot of the great info that Mari has provided regarding helo missions and squadrons. Refer to this post:
http://209.120.145.174/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=990

A couple more helo questions:

1) What do the squadron abbreviations (HSL, HS, HC, HM) stand for?
2) Recognizing the fact that helos are multi-role aircraft, could someone break down the overall approximate mission percentages...

It might be easier to answer this from an "entire Navy" perspective. For example, X percent of Navy helo missions are mail drops. Y percent of Navy helo missions are search-and-rescue. Z percent of Navy helo missions are plane guard. Etc... I realize this will vary a lot across squadrons, but I'm just looking for the roles that helos "typically" play in general.

Thanks,
-Greg

candiman

HM is misweeping
Hc is heavy lift
HSL and HS are carrier vs small ship--i always get them confused on which is which-- ya thick i would have figured it out by now since i am in advanced helo training
as far as the missions go there is no exact percentage of mission. If you fly the a version of the 60, you will do eveything from SAR to specops to vertrep. it all depends what the mission/ "need" is. PLus you might start out on one typre of mission and be diverted to another depending on what was going on

mike

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
Thanks Mike. Good luck to you in getting your wings.

One more question: what role do Navy helos play in Close Air Support? Or is CAS mostly left to the fixed wing guys and Marine attack helos?

Appreciate your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.