• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

helo helmet upgrade from oregon areo- hush kit or soft seal cups?

zimm17

Retired
pilot
The oregon areo site http://www.oregonaero.com/p76-2001.html (scroll down to HGU84P) list either the hush kit or the soft seal cups, but doesn't recommend the combo with both. I hate my plastic cups and dig in behind my ears when wearing NVD's. I'm going out of pocket on these since the squadron PR shop is broke (been waiting for some replacement CEP's for 6 months). I just want softer cups, don't really care about sound- I'm wearing ear plugs.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'm not really clear on what the difference between the Soft Seal and the Hush kit is other than the picture. However, when I bought my kit for my helmet, I bought SoftSeals w/ the Oregon Aero liner. I'm still using both today on my helo helmet and even had my T-34 helmet "upgraded" w/ the same kit. Unless it's very cold, the SoftSeals are awesome. When it's cold (not that that's a problem where you are), they're just very hard for a few minutes until your body heat softens them up.

Sooo...I'm assuming you're G.Z., right? Another stint on the mighty Crommelin?

busdriver

None
The soft seal set-up is a replacement for the the plastic covered foam that comes standard, in other words they just slip on, you still use the original plastic ear cups. The hush kit completely replaces the plastic ear cups with foam.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The soft seal set-up is a replacement for the the plastic covered foam that comes standard, in other words they just slip on, you still use the original plastic ear cups. The hush kit completely replaces the plastic ear cups with foam.

Ahh, then I just have the SoftSeal, which is still much more comfortable to me.

suasponte

Sit down, shut up and don't touch nothin'
None
Apparently the Hushkit will drop noise levels 7dB in the HGU-56P. It is also designed to reduce gray noise in the midrange frequencies that conflict with voice comms. I tell you, I hate CEPs, but without them I'd be deaf right now. I'm about to do the entire upgrade for this deployment... Zetaliner, Hushkit and Softseal. 7 hours+ of CEPs ain't gonna happen this time...

phrogpilot73

If you're dropping your own dime on the softseals - make sure your helmet is in your officer or you're flying when the maintenance department is being inspected. Apparently, they're not authorized because of a lack of lateral support during a crash (stupid, I know). We found this out during our last inspection. The OpsO was at the RAG refreshing, and me and the MO were testing - and the inspector made Flight E change every single set out, so right now we're the only three that avoided having to go back to the plastic pain.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
If you're dropping your own dime on the softseals - make sure your helmet is in your officer or you're flying when the maintenance department is being inspected. Apparently, they're not authorized because of a lack of lateral support during a crash (stupid, I know). We found this out during our last inspection. The OpsO was at the RAG refreshing, and me and the MO were testing - and the inspector made Flight E change every single set out, so right now we're the only three that avoided having to go back to the plastic pain.

Was that AMI or Wing? I've been through some VERY thorough wing inspections (it's LAMPS, what else do they have to worry about) and it's never been a problem. Not sure if my gear has ever been around for a AMI, but we'll have one in a few months, so looking for some gouge.

PR1 H

Perpetually fixing cranial/rectal inversions
Gentlemen... here's the answer to your question straight from the 13-1-6.7-3 (Helmet manual for us PR types):

Oregon Aero Softseal ear cushions are authorized optional replacements for P/N 88C7589 earseals and if desired must be commercially procured from Oregon Aero Corporation, Scappoose, OR 97056. Telephone (503) 543-7399.

CAUTION
Due to inadequate lateral impact protection afforded by this configuration, Oregon Aero Softseal/ HushKit Combo P/N28034 and P/N28118, are not authorized for use in the HGU-84/P Series Helmets or the HGU-67/P Cobra Helmets.

So yes, you can use the Soft Seals, but not in combination with the hushkit. We here at NAVAIR have been around the block with the triangle pads in helo helmets issue I don't know how many times. Back in the helmet lab, they have set ups that measure lateral impact loads with different set ups, and time and time again, the triangle pads do not measure up, and instead reduce your survivability in an otherwise survivable mishap.

Zimm: This should aleviate the discomfort behind your ear. If not, your PR's are authorized by the book to cut the spacers that are behind the earcup (if you have them installed) that will change the angle that the cup/seals contact your grape.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Thanks for the instruction, PR1. Guess that's why it wasn't ever an issue during past inspections since I only have the seals. Appreciate the info.

slug

flight medic hel&#1.jpg

Caption: Airborne in a Black Hawk helicopter, U.S. Army flight medic Staff Sgt. Robert B. Cowdrey, of La Junta, Colo., with Task Force Pegasus, attends to a Marine wounded in a rocket-propelled grenade attack, over Marjah.

Here's a question for army/marine aviation aircrews--are these kevlar helmets with ear cups becoming standard gear for combat aircrews? Obviously there would be additional weight and neck strain, along with the risk of "impact loads" or G-force strain on the neck during a crash sequence. Still I know there are many cases from OEF/OIF of pilots killed by 7.62 rounds through the HGU-56 helmet where these helmets could have easily saved their lives.

Modified with goggle mounts, ICS cords and visors (or just issued sunglasses) I think these helmets could be just as capable as the HGU-56, and with much better ballistic protection. Get some of those noise-cancelling earphones the SEALs have too, then you'd have a sweet mellon protector.

suasponte

None
Dude that guy is no way a flight medic, just a ground medic on a nonstandard CASEVAC Hawk that is not set up as a Dustoff bird. ACHs and Sordins will NEVER replace flight helmets; the minute they do, sign me up for jingle air cause I'd rather fly with a ball cap and Davey Clarks.

suasponte

None
+1 on Busdriver. The other thing that pisses me off is Army aviation is losing what has traditionally defined us as aviation units- one piece flight suits, unit patches, aircraft art, etc. in favor of making us look more indistinguishable from ground elements. Trust me, I spent 4 years in Ranger battalion, I understand what my role as a Chinook pilot is, but I still would like a little tradition and heritage please. Being forced to wear that shit in the cockpit would be the icing on the cake, so to speak.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Stupid question maybe. Are crash protection and ballistic protection mutually exclusive? Or would combining the two be prohibitively heavy on the grape?