• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hello Marines...first post, confused

gobuffs10

Greetings Marines and Naval aviators. My name is Ryan, I am working on becoming an officer candidate. Right now I'm in the process of getting in shape to pass the PFT. The OSO wants me to contract come February. I am on track to graduate in 2011.

I have a couple questions if anyone could help. He told me that the Marines will guarantee me the Aviation option if I qualify, but not ground. That's fine, since I was a kid I have wanted to fly (just like everyone) but never figured I would get the chance. I am confused as to how it works. What are the steps for getting the Aviation option guaranteed? Do I need to qualify before I commission? Is it like the enlisted side, where I will choose the aviation field and get put where they need me?

Second, does getting the aviation option mean I get to attend flight school? Or can I be sent somewhere else? I will fly anything, as many people only dream of the chance, but...how do I get the chance?

I had another question but I forget. I hope I didn't break any forum rules or anything, if I did I apologize. Thank you for your time.
-Ryan

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Welcome to the baord. Try using the search funtion and it will give you a ton of info. Here's some quick answers, though.

1. You can go PLC-Air, PLC-Ground, or PLC-Law. Basically air, lawyer, or anything else.

2. You qualify for an air contract before you commission. Normally before you even go to OCS.

3. If you make it through OCS/TBS, with an air contract, you'll go to flight school. From there you could fly anything. No further garuntees.

4. If you don't make it through flight school, you will be sent to another MOS to fill out your terms of service.

Your OSO should be able to give you additional guidance. Good luck.

VIZKRIEG

KILL
Good job on getting started early, Ryan. I am just an Officer Candidate myself (I report to OCS next month), but I can tell you a few things that may help. First and foremost, this site is a goldmine of information, and searching for it will do wonders for you. Of course, if you don't find an answer to something, don't be afraid to ask. Second, keep on your OSO, they appreciate the fact that you have the desire, and that will reflect positively on you. The less they have to chase you down to get paperwork and everything else done, the easier the application process will be for all concerned. I guess thats it for me, I'll leave it to the more qualified folks from here, but good luck, and Welcome Aboard.

HD: Beat me to it.

Bolter

pilot
Ryan, congrats on your decision to choose this path. You sound like a good dude, so listen to what a lot of these warriors have to say. Keep in mind, all of us that have wings, all of those in training, and all that are waiting to class up or get a chance at OCS---we all started in that same place!! Keep a positive attitude and bust your ass to follow your dreams. I went through hell to get where I am now, and I honestly think I have the best job in the world. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

gobuffs10

Thank you for the warm reception, words of encouragement, and info. HD, I was hoping that's how it worked, so that's good to know.

I have to get PRK, my OSO is letting me know if I qualify or not (my vision is REAL bad, so he said he has to call MEPS to see if I am even allowes to get PRK). Fingers crossed. My dad said if I want to do this, he'd pay for the surgery, so that's really awesome to have his support.

Right now my biggest obstacle is fitness and losing some pounds. I am within the height-weight requirements but I'm pretty weak, and I can't run too well. I'll get there by February though I'm sure.

Thanks again, will keep you posted, maybe contribute once in awhile.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
Right now my biggest obstacle is fitness and losing some pounds. I am within the height-weight requirements but I'm pretty weak, and I can't run too well. I'll get there by February though I'm sure.

I know your OSO wants you to contract at a certain time, but understand that if for some reason you do not get to where you need to be by Feb, do not give up the fight. Keep training, and keep pushing. You want to make sure you go to OCS in good physical condition not only to complete it but to stay healthy throughout. You want to avoid getting injured and having to go back again.

Like Bolter said, congrats and know that all of us have been right where you are - asking questions and learning what is involved in becoming a Marine Officer. It is an exciting path and you will be rewarded for your hard work. Good luck.

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
Wow, that was about the warmest reception to a new guy I've seen in some years. Most of the time, it's to the tune of "Use the Search function, and go f**k yourself."
On a brighter note, kudos on getting in so early in your college years. Go to OCS as soon as you can, and don't take the MCTAF. Your paycheck will thank you in later years.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
how does mctaf affect pay later?

Take a look at the pay chart. See what an O-2 over 2 makes compared to an over 4 (use whatever "over" amount that applies to you). It really adds up, especially when you go through OCS early in college.

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
how does mctaf affect pay later?

To further explain the previous post, your PEBD (Pay Entry Base Date) as an OCS guy is based on the day you show up to OCS. This means that when you get commissioned, say, 2 years later, you get paid as an O-1 with 2 years in service.
If you take MCTAF, part of the price to pay for taking money is that it moves your PEBD back to your commission date. To my knowledge, the TAF does not do this.
Naval Academy guys whine about this all the time, since their PEBD is their commission date. I believe ROTC guys have the same deal OCSers have.
In conclusion, if you want to make a bit more money as a junior officer, go to OCS as early as you possibly can (like after your freshman year), and don't take any financial assistance that will mess with your PEBD.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
This must have changed recently.

My PEBD is when I signed my contract. I took the $100/month (back then) for the 6 months longer contract. No change to my PEBD.

My AFADBD was my first day at TBS (which eventually got adjusted to include my prior active duty time in the navy).

Also note that when I signed the bonus, I was able to pay back the $100 a month money in order to be eligible for the bonus 6 months earlier.

Best deal I ever made.

spitfiremkxiv

Pepe's sandwich
Contributor
With regards to the PRK, MEPS isn't a reliable source of info on the subject. The MEPS doc that reviewed my paperwork didn't know what PRK is, so he just shrugged and signed off on it. That was in 2006.

The only reliable info regarding the latest eye standards will come from a flight doc. PM me if you need help with that. Also post your numbers from your eye exam on here once you get them, so the AW medical whizzes can have a look and help confirm or deny any of the info regarding your qualifications.

Basically, you want to be an expert on the subject before you shell out $4k for a 5 minute surgical procedure that will change your life.