• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Helicopter Wheels

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I split off the thread so we can talk about helicopter wheels in all of their glory.

Do you guys ever do running landings close to that fast? If so, why? Tail rotor scenarios?

When I was flying them, yeah we did practice running landings, and if I recall their greatest utility was for tail rotor problems. In fact, that's why I had to do one, I had a stuck pedal situation and the only speed that would align the nose with the direction of travel was greater than max tailwheel landing speed.

busdriver

None
HH-60H, what caused the stuck pedal?

We also practice them for single engine landings to a hard surface or if you're really marginal power-wise.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Well, I know for a fact that you can do a running landing in a Hotel at around 80 KGS. I don't really know where the numbers come from i.e. what the limiting factor is.

No doubt, I just remember some of the Bs out on the line varying and every now and then you'd fly one that would surprise you at touchdown. On day dickarounds I got to trying a rolling takeoff first just to make sure I didn't get the shake at some ridiculously low groundspeed. Of course the real solution should have been to MAF the shimmy damper and replace it... seems so obvious now :)

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
There are some springs and some other mechanical gizmos in the strut. PFM. We're ground speed limited, so the tires won't shimmy off. Taxi nice and controlled without making extremely sharp turns and things go well.

Worse off is when the one of the gear won't extend. Takes a bit of ground crew coordination at that point.

And he fixes his landing at the end of all that, most would have just lowered the nose shutdown and called it a day. Professionalism.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
And he fixes his landing at the end of all that, most would have just lowered the nose shutdown and called it a day. Professionalism.

You're right. I didn't notice that until you mentioned it. He repo'd and then landed. Good stuff.

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
I've seen that vid. Those ground guys are great. It takes big brass ones to park yourself under 70K pounds of metal being controlled by a pilot over a pitching deck, and go to work. :)

CRIPES! It was bad enough doing that on an SH-3, I don't even want to think about trying it with that monster! I was pretty good sized and still almost got beaten to death in the rotor wash. They are still looking for my goggles.

Pat_Lucas

Dumb New Guy
Contributor
CRIPES! It was bad enough doing that on an SH-3, I don't even want to think about trying it with that monster! I was pretty good sized and still almost got beaten to death in the rotor wash. They are still looking for my goggles.
We had a situation with a -53E. The maintainers didn't want to go out and pull it out, so they sent CFR. It was pretty wild.

We also had a similar situation with a harrier once as well. His gear just wouldn't come down at all. We had to have him land on mattresses, that would have been fine except for the fact that the Pegasus sucked the mattress up and FODed itself out. That was pretty wild too.