• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Helicopter Control Officer (HCO) Suggestion Box

BackOrdered

Contributor
Now after change of command once the micro manager CO departed, the new CO did delegate deck status to me, SUPPO and the OOD. Flight Quarter became fun again.

My last Flight Quarters was with SOCOM with this CO. Focsle and fantail flight ops with the blackhawks and SUPPO and I ran it! It was just about the most fun I ever had in the Navy that wasn't a port visit.

PhrogLoop

Adulting is hard
pilot
Now after change of command once the micro manager CO departed, the new CO did delegate deck status to me, SUPPO and the OOD. Flight Quarter became fun again.

My last Flight Quarters was with SOCOM with this CO. Focsle and fantail flight ops with the blackhawks and SUPPO and I ran it! It was just about the most fun I ever had in the Navy that wasn't a port visit.
Glad to hear it. One word of caution, when you and SUPPO are given that kind of latitude (which is rare) remember that it's on you to stick to the books and run a safe deck. SOCOM/160th guys are awesome pilots, but don't be surprised if you know more about the Air Capable Ships manual than they do. I've seen those guys try to conduct crew swaps without chocks/chains, land with unlocked tailwheels/parking brakes and all sorts of other shenanigans that you might find yourself challenging them on. Otherwise, enjoy!

BackOrdered

Contributor
Glad to hear it. One word of caution, when you and SUPPO are given that kind of latitude (which is rare) remember that it's on you to stick to the books and run a safe deck. SOCOM/160th guys are awesome pilots, but don't be surprised if you know more about the Air Capable Ships manual than they do. I've seen those guys try to conduct crew swaps without chocks/chains, land with unlocked tailwheels/parking brakes and all sorts of other shenanigans that you might find yourself challenging them on. Otherwise, enjoy!

Oh of course. They are also pretty good about being humble and follow our advise. Again, great guys to work with.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
After a recovery that I HCO'ed, I got in the habit of poking my head in to the crew debrief (before they started) and asking "Anything for the Tower?" Usually they had nothing, but it seemed to be appreciated, and it kept the comms open.

Kaman

Beech 1900 pilot's; "Fly it like you stole it"
After a recovery that I HCO'ed, I got in the habit of poking my head in to the crew debrief (before they started) and asking "Anything for the Tower?" Usually they had nothing, but it seemed to be appreciated, and it kept the comms open.
"Yes, as a matter of fact, great job in the tower tonight...however, STOP serving elephant scabs at midrats" HCO on an FF was usually a pork chop on his first tour that was typically either the DO or FSO, sometimes both...And, usually always did an excellent job. Had three really good ones on my H-2 cruises.