• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Helicopter Combat Support Special Squadron

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
Anyone know anything about HCS squadrons? Are they only reserve? Do they have active counterparts?

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
They are primarly Reserve squadrons, but they have a FRS component. The closest active duty squadron to them is HS platform/ACTC wise.

Pags

N/A
pilot
To get into the HCSs, do you have to apply or something after so much time in the fleet? Is HS time pretty much considered their pipeline, or do they draw from all over the fleet?

H60Gunr

Only know from the aircrew side of the house. We take people from lots of backgrounds-mainly SAR swimmers. Majority of Pilots at HCS at 04s-some 03s from HS or HSL. Tons of time in the fleet.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Do you have to have NVD experience to get picked up with them? Is the Navy even keeping TAR/FTS helo squadrons around?

H60Gunr

Best to talk with the career counselor at the squadron or ops chief about that. I don't want to speculate and give bad gouge. I hear rumours about the HCS community but were still doing the mission.

Cyclic

Behold the Big Iron
HCS are reserve squadrons and you have to have a minimum of 1000 hrs, even though they are reserve they have a specialized mission, NSW/SPECOPS. They usually operate separate from the Strike Groups. They will eventually transition to MH-60S and be redesignated to HSC.
And yes, you have to be goggle qualed, although they do waive some of their requirements.

Bevo16

pilot
I doubt that you are going to get picked up for an HCS squadron with no goggle hours. Most of their operational flying is going to be at night.

phrogpilot73

HH-60H said:
Man that just sounds scary.
You think? I'm an NSI, and I get nervous with designated Naval Aviators that are qualified H2Ps in the Phrog... I wouldn't want to be an instructor with some guy who may not get winged...

Pags

N/A
pilot
phrogpilot73 said:
Speaking of, I've heard that they've started doing goggle flights in Advanced. Is this true?

If they haven't started training, they will soon. There are some 57Cs with blacked out cockpits sitting around.