• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hearing requirements

So I wanted to know how much hearing loss is acceptable for an Aviator/NFO position? I havent tested yet but i think i might have some damage from some loud music i listened to in middle school/early highschool. My father recieved an excellent score for his NFO selection and he really didnt know the threshold for hearing. Anyone have an approximation?

Renegade One

None
So I wanted to know how much hearing loss is acceptable for an Aviator/NFO position? I havent tested yet but i think i might have some damage from some loud music i listened to in middle school/early highschool. My father recieved an excellent score for his NFO selection and he really didnt know the threshold for hearing. Anyone have an approximation?
I'm sure FedDoc or others could tell you far better than I, but would the "numbers answer" mean anything to you before you test and can therefore understand the numbers? I know most aviators sweated the annual hearing test (soundproof (hah!) booth…headphones, pickle switch…and then beep beep beep beepbeep beep beep beep, etc., on various frequencies), only because we never really understood the numbers either (could be total ignorance speaking…).

All that said, I'm sure there's an "entrance requirement" (don't know what is was/is…)…but I never knew anyone who had wings and got NPQ'd later in the fleet for hearing loss. May have gotten NPQ/AA (Not Physically Qualified, but Aeronautically Adapted), which means "Up chit".

Did you play drums or electric guitar in your middle school/early high school garage band? ;)

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot

C'mon dude. Directly above your thread in the Doc's corner there is a sticky thread called

***NAMI Medical Waiver Guide***

Discussion in 'DOC's corner' started by eddie, Dec 14, 2007.

Initiative will be expected as well as decent hearing.

OBTW- try chapter one under...you guessed it...hearing.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I havent tested yet but i think i might have some damage from some loud music i listened to in middle school/early highschool. My father recieved an excellent score for his NFO selection and he really didnt know the threshold for hearing.
A problem not uncommon amongst our young, loud/heavy metal rockaholic applicants. Luckily, the 'hearing organs' are tough, and only a small percentage of PDQs are for hearng loss. To paraphrase our beloved House Speaker, Ms Dizzy, "You won't know what's in the hearing test... until you pass it"!:D
BzB

exNavyOffRec

I wouldn't be concerned about hearing level for aviation, you first must meet hearing levels for entrance standards and get by N3M, if you think you have hearing loss that is not a good sign at all, the few that I had who were dinged for hearing loss didn't even know they had an issue.

The only way you will know if you do have an issue is to have a test, you can look at the guide N3M uses but it won't do any good unless you can look at the test you have had done.