• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hearing Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

OK, some of you have read my recent post about my accident and that my OCS date is postponed indefinately. I am trying to find requirements for hearing as a pilot, Anyone know where to look? As of know it seems that my hearing is not coming back on its own. There maybe corrective surgery for it, but I don't know that the Navy will allow that. I am also showing signs of what is called Tinnitus, which is a ringging in the ear. I have had it ever since the injury and they feel it may be permanent now. Would anyone know if this is a disqualifying factor?

vicki

Jeff,

As of 7/26/00 hearing requirements for SNA are as follows:

frequency 500 - better ear, 35, worse ear, 35

frequency 1000 - better ear, 30, worse ear, 50

frequency 2000 - better ear, 30, worse ear, 50

I don't know all the details but I think what it means is at how many decibles you are able to perceive sound at various frequencies (in Hertz or megaHertz or whatever). In order to fail the hearing test you have to have a failing score on an average of three seperate hearing tests.
Hope this helps. Good luck.

FLY NAVY!

Vicki

beau

Speaking of physicals, I had my initial dogmir (sP??) physical to get the Navy to pay for school. If I passed that with flying colors, with no "you might want to fixed that " stuff from the doc, is this too much of a warm fuzzy or should I check with the doc periodicly??

Finch

Jeff

I got that warm fuzzy feeling back in December when I passed my flight physical surviving the initial dred of a NOMI WHAMMIE and now look at me. I'm supposed to leave on Saturday for OCS and now I am waiting to see if I have any chance at passing a stupid hearing test. You never know what is going to happen next.

Dave Shutter

I'm not worried about the first ACES/NOMI physical, it's the second one that scares me.

My rec' gave me this little speech the other day on the NOMI physicals. He said the one you take for ACES, before they actually accept you up for pilot, people seldom have problems on (surprise!). But for some magical reason, after OCS, after you've been sworn in and owe them time people sometimes tend to get bad news. He hinted ambigiously several times that "things happen in OCS", and then all of the sudden your vision might be off a percent, or you've somehow shrunk or grown a 1/4 inch, throwing off your anthro', all of which was was of course undetectable before you signed up by the same Dr's who'll immediately notice it before API!

Any of this sound familiar...

Not to suggest that any of this is intentional, but the two physical system at NOMI (one to get you in, and one before they actually deliver the promised training) seems like one of the best rackets for filling undesireable slots in the military that I've ever seen. I understand if you suffered some real injury during OCS, but to tell me my eyes will suddenly go bad after three months of studying, and my choices are NFO, or serve out the remainder of my obligated, contracted time in SWO, Supply Corps, Garbage Scowl supervisor etc...when they were just fine after four years of studying, is absolute and utter BS!

I read horror stories on the forum that kind'a go along with this, maybe I'm being paranoid, or maybe bein' a South Jersey guy, I can smell a scam a mile away.

An afterthought: con-men and scam artists don't write textbooks on their craft, but if they did, technically, this one could be filed under the chapter: "The Rope"

D

Edited by - Dave Shutter on 09/04/2000 13:26:45

Jeff

Matt

I had my flight physical back in December. I was not with the ACES program though. What I did seems to be the same thing, however, without getting the flight. Now I am on an indefinate delay for OCS right now though. All going well I will leave for the Sept. 23 class making me available for API in January. I know I won't have an entire physical come OCS time, but since it will be a year come API I will need to get another flight physical. If I get one prior to API, say Jan. or Feb. and then my B-day comes up in April, will I have to go in and have another physical then.

Dave Shutter

Sorry Matt...

There's been so much talk about pre-API physicals on the forum, and then my recruiter mentioned the same thing. I know I have to take a flight physical before signing up, and I assumed I'd get hit with another one right before API, for my "up-chit". But now that you mention it, I do recall that you get a flight physical once a year, and if my first one is good, then...

I could have sworn my recruiter said that though. Just thought I smelled something cooking there for a minute.

D

Status
Not open for further replies.