• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hearing Protection

Heloanjin

pilot
I used the Mod 0 foamies in my ears for 20 years and they worked fine. The price was right, too. I found I could actually hear the radio transmission better with them in. Seemed like the foam cut out the static but keep the transmission. If the PRs will buy them, the CEPs are great, but with flight gear, sometimes simple is better.

What ever you do, wear something. Hearing for some people remains unchanged despite not using 2nd hearing protection. But for most you'll see a noticable drop in your hearing test as time goes on.

hscs

pilot
As long as it is off by the time that you leave the chocks, I am good with it -- but would rather just use one light. The Phantom around the neck or a small Gerber flashlight that rests very nicely on the IFF panel. Stays there during break turns. I don't like the chemlight holder as it is always on -- still get the light leak.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
About the lip lights... all studs get them at initial check-in. We turn in the helmets from T-34s and get helo helmets. Included in all of the goodies are the liplight and NVG equipment.

There was a time when gear issue was out of lip lights (and $ for everything else) but I think they have more now. If they could just issue HELMETS to everyone that'd be great...

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I used the Mod 0 foamies in my ears for 20 years and they worked fine. The price was right, too. I found I could actually hear the radio transmission better with them in. Seemed like the foam cut out the static but keep the transmission. If the PRs will buy them, the CEPs are great, but with flight gear, sometimes simple is better.

What ever you do, wear something. Hearing for some people remains unchanged despite not using 2nd hearing protection. But for most you'll see a noticable drop in your hearing test as time goes on.

I can't endorse the CEP Mod enough. The COD is a noisy beast, but the CEP makes it super quiet.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
As long as it is off by the time that you leave the chocks, I am good with it -- but would rather just use one light. The Phantom around the neck or a small Gerber flashlight that rests very nicely on the IFF panel. Stays there during break turns. I don't like the chemlight holder as it is always on -- still get the light leak.

Don't forget, not all of us have high speed NVG mods. The Bravo has more of an AMC Gremlin sort of NVG mod, so there's so much other light being shown around, one more lip light over the water isn't going to be that big a deal. I'm sure the Romeo fixes a lot of that.

I just wish I could use my helo helmet now. It's more comfortable for me, and I dearly miss my dual visors. It's just not worth cannibalizing my helmet for them to set up a new one.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Whatever the old-school Jet helmet is they issue the studs in Primary. They issued us one and they rig it up w/ all the goodies if we ask. The problem, as I was alluding to in the earlier posts, is that if you want to use your helo helmet, you can, but if anything breaks on it, the NSE guys can't (aren't allowed) to order parts for it, and the NDZ guys are apparently pretty stingy w/ their supply. On top of all of that, my helo helmet will immediately become NRFI if I tired to use it (due to some tears on the roll), and they can get me another one, just not the guts, but I don't want to lose my Gator on the back of my current, perfectly operational helo helmet.

I'm making it more complicated than it is, but only slightly. Long story short, no parts for the helo helmet, so it's not worth the hassle, despite missing the dual visors.

MasterBates

Wow,

Here at NASCC, they let us keep our -84s, if you are only flying the T-34. Mine is being refitted hopefully it is ready soon.

But, I have to turn it in to get a -68 for kingsville, only to get another -84 for E2/C2 (some COD/Hawkeye guru correct me if the PRs are AFU on this one).

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Like I said, you can keep the -84, they just drill some holes for the O2 mask. But if anything breaks, it's a budgetary thing for getting it fixed. Again, remember there's a larger number of bodies here that use them, unlike in your neck of the woods where two of the VTs don't have to wear helmets.

MasterBates

One would think they would budget by manning throughput, but I have given up on logic here.

I just think it is stupid to turn in my 84, to get a 68, only to have to turn it in to get another 84.

Makes more sense to let me keep my 84, but that's supply for you.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
One would think they would budget by manning throughput, but I have given up on logic here.

They probably are, which is why they don't want to share. If they plan on just the HT manning, they're okay, but if they have to start paying for parts for others, the pot of money gets smaller.

As for your case, yeah, it's kind of silly, but you are a student again, so they have to do their parts shuffle. I have a used -68 helmet, and I'm sure in a year and a few months, someone else will get my helmet.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
So it sounds like the best thing to do would be to wait till the FRS and then get what I need there...Thanks again for all the information...

hscs

pilot
Don't forget, not all of us have high speed NVG mods. The Bravo has more of an AMC Gremlin sort of NVG mod, so there's so much other light being shown around, one more lip light over the water isn't going to be that big a deal. I'm sure the Romeo fixes a lot of that.

It doesn't have to do with the mods in the cockpit. I try to fly with the lights as dark as possible in a compatible cockpit -- it has to do with people seeing your liplight outside the cockpit. Wouldn't want someone on a ship you were checking out to see you because of your lip light.

MasterBates

Well, considering in the Bravo, you have to put the Grimes Lights up in the position over the front corner of your door, and aim them at the BDHI to see it and the Attitude Gyro/Turn Needle lip lights are kind of a moot point.

If you watch a 60B making an NVG approach, you see two green lights over green & red. That's the Grimes lights, and even if you black out the helo otherwise, that is still there.