• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hearing Protection

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
Another vote for the CEPs. I used to not wear any type of secondary protection (other than the flight helmet) and would get head aches after nearly every flight. It was attributed to the noise in the cockpit, my helmet not fitting properly (egg-head) and having to run the volume up full due to not being able to hear the radio over the engine noise. When I got to the RAG, the CEPs came out and I was hooked. Now, if you don't route the wire from the earplug properly, it'll give you a hotspot on your ear. And they are a tad uncomfortable (I've worn them for 5 hour flights), however I won't fly without them now. I turn the radios way down now without fear of missing calls.

hscs

pilot
I have to vote for the CEPs, too. Use them all the time -- especially when the radio volume drops on secure comms.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
If they're telling you that they aren't crashworthy, then they are full of crap. If they weren't crasworthy, they wouldn't be approved by NAVAIR. The Zetaliner and Hush Kit have been approved by NAVAIR and I wore them in my helmet. I'm going to weigh in as a proponent of the CEP. When I first got them, I was happy with the theory but they weren't comfortable (the foamie part was too long, so the earcup pushed in on the speaker and it hurt my ear). After doing a little research, I found out that they make short foamie tips. I sent an email to the company (their website is www.cep-usa.com) while I was in Iraq and they sent me a pack of the short tips for free. Made worlds of difference, and I can't imagine ever flying without them again.

Looking at the website you linked and I may be an idiot or something but I can't seem to find out how to order them, the only thing I can find is a kit that requires soddering and drilling holes; both things which I doubt would be a good idea for me to do myself. Can you point me in the right direction?

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
If they're telling you that they aren't crashworthy, then they are full of crap. If they weren't crasworthy, they wouldn't be approved by NAVAIR. The Zetaliner and Hush Kit have been approved by NAVAIR and I wore them in my helmet...

I agree. I went ahead and paid out of pocket for a Zetaliner (impossible to get from PRs if you're a student) and I wanted to get a hush kit as well. The PRs told me that if I had one when my helmet went in for inspection they'd rip it out. I'm only a couple of weeks away from finishing the syllabus and it's not worth a fight at this point. Maybe the PRs at the FRS will be a little easier to work with.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I agree. I went ahead and paid out of pocket for a Zetaliner (impossible to get from PRs if you're a student) and I wanted to get a hush kit as well. The PRs told me that if I had one when my helmet went in for inspection they'd rip it out. I'm only a couple of weeks away from finishing the syllabus and it's not worth a fight at this point. Maybe the PRs at the FRS will be a little easier to work with.

HT IPs take note, let me guess the guy who "does the studs a favor" by selling them liplights is still there, would not surprise me if those were coming out of NAVAIR funds and he was just making a little extra cash. Painful truth about contractors if there is an excuse not to support you they will use it. Im sure at the FRS you will get what you need.

phrogpilot73

HT IPs take note, let me guess the guy who "does the studs a favor" by selling them liplights is still there, would not surprise me if those were coming out of NAVAIR funds and he was just making a little extra cash. Painful truth about contractors if there is an excuse not to support you they will use it. Im sure at the FRS you will get what you need.
If not at the FRS, then definitely in the fleet...

Chubby

That's got to be an HT specific thing ... the PR's in Meridian are great, I didn't even have to ask and I have the Zetaliner and Hush Kit.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
That's got to be an HT specific thing ... the PR's in Meridian are great, I didn't even have to ask and I have the Zetaliner and Hush Kit.

I think it's a money issue. TW-1 only has to support two squadrons w/ a fewer number of people. TW-5 has to support 5 squadrons and a ton of bodies that all go in different directions after 5 months. They really are relatively strapped for cash at Whiting (although not compared to the fleet, of course).

Skid, I understand your sentiment, but it's not all Evian and bon-bons for the IPs either. We can get some extra stuff because we're in the gear all day, but it still takes a lot of admin to get things that shouldn't be that big deal, only because they cost more than the standard issue (O2 masks come to mind). And let's not even get into flight suits and gloves.

Is it right? Of course not, but just putting a bit of reality out there. Just to put things in perspective, TW-5 was responsible for 10% of ALL Naval Aviation hours last FY, Marine and Navy. The only way they pulled that off was the sheer number of bodies that go through. And no, I'm not saying other wings aren't pulling their fair share, but it does show how much production is required in a year.

As for the hush kits...there was an issue w/ HSLWINGPAC back when I was in the fleet about them being "illegal" as well. I wonder if some people don't get all the updates or if others just tend to read the rules differently.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I

Skid, I understand your sentiment, but it's not all Evian and bon-bons for the IPs either. We can get some extra stuff because we're in the gear all day, but it still takes a lot of admin to get things that shouldn't be that big deal, only because they cost more than the standard issue (O2 masks come to mind). And let's not even get into flight suits and gloves.

My comment towards the IPs was not a condemnation of having better gear, I wouldnt want to fly the hours you all do without zeta and hush. My comment was in regards to the contract Flight E guy telling SNAs that if they purchased hush kits not only would they not install them but would rip them out upon inspections. That Contract Maintenance guy needs his self importance setting decreased to a more normal setting and unfortunately an IP is the only one who can do so (maybe?). I remember paying 20 dollars or so to the contract Flight E guy to get a lip light and get it put on my helmet, imagine my surprise when I find that they are an issued if not required part of the helo helmet, I wish I knew then what I know now. Part of me wishes I was an HT IP so I could light the guy up if I ever witnessed a similar situation.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
My comment towards the IPs was not a condemnation of having better gear, I wouldnt want to fly the hours you all do without zeta and hush. My comment was in regards to the contract Flight E guy telling SNAs that if they purchased hush kits not only would they not install them but would rip them out upon inspections. That Contract Maintenance guy needs his self importance setting decreased to a more normal setting and unfortunately an IP is the only one who can do so (maybe?).

I didn't take it that way. I agree ripping it out is weak IF the kit is actually authorized. I'm not saying it isn't and if someone has the message, it would be great to make it available. Unfortunately, not "any" IP can set him straight, it will have to come from the Wing to the MO and on down, and to make that start to happen, you need paperwork. All things I know you know.

I remember paying 20 dollars or so to the contract Flight E guy to get a lip light and get it put on my helmet, imagine my surprise when I find that they are an issued if not required part of the helo helmet, I wish I knew then what I know now. Part of me wishes I was an HT IP so I could light the guy up if I ever witnessed a similar situation.

This is what I referring to. Lips lights are available and are put on helmets (pretty much any IP that wants one, NSE or NDZ, gets one). The issue is having the money to put them on all the studs' helmets. I don't think anyone is saying they wouldn't want to put lip lights on for free (and in fact one of the "good guys" up at NSE has said he'd love to), there just isn't enough funding to do it.

hscs

pilot
I would say skip the lip lights -- they can be seen for miles away (outside the cockpit), and that isn't something that you want in bad guy land. I would spend the money on a phantom warrior or finger light. This way, you get used to not working with a liplight. Besides, I always hate that guy that leaves his lip light on and shines his light right in your face in the cockpit.

phrogpilot73

I would say skip the lip lights -- they can be seen for miles away (outside the cockpit), and that isn't something that you want in bad guy land. I would spend the money on a phantom warrior or finger light. This way, you get used to not working with a liplight. Besides, I always hate that guy that leaves his lip light on and shines his light right in your face in the cockpit.
I disagree... lip lights are personal preference. When I was flying, I loved being able to turn the liplight on and go through the checklist, and where I looked was illuminated. Before I taxied, I used to disconnect the battery (I only used mine for startup/shutdown checklists) then I would use a chemlight (Only ripped open one end, could control how much light I had) rather than a finger light. I tried a finger light and HATED it. There are actually plastic enclosures that you can insert a chemlight, and then rotate to adjust how much light comes out.

Oh, and our CO's preference was no lip light so he told Flight E to remove lip lights from everyone's helmet. I am still pissed about that, because I'm superstitious and he did it right before we left for Iraq. I tried to explain to him how I used a lip light (which I shouldn't have had to because I repunched his NVG codes as an NSI), but he wouldn't budge...

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Lip light is a great tool, if you have a little discipline with it. I also use it for checklists etc. Use it then turn it off, you can also fill in 1 or two of the lights to make it not as bright.

I also hate the finger light, gets in the way of flying and tends to fall off.