• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Headsets

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
If I EVER see someone use that ballcap brim miner's lamp, I will make fun of them until they cry.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
JetJunkie said:
Some lights that will clip to the metal frame of your headset (as opposed to the boom) are:

Except he's not wearing a headset

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Do any of you guys (mostly @ Gator) use/have access to finger lights? They came with our NVG kits in the Prowler and are little 1.5 inch lights that velcro to your fingers. Think lip light on your index finger. They're pretty cool.

This is similar:
finger1.jpg

Brett

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Do any of you guys (mostly @ Gator) use/have access to finger lights? They came with our NVG kits in the Prowler and are little 1.5 inch lights that velcro to your fingers. Think lip light on your index finger. They're pretty cool.

This is similar:
finger1.jpg

Brett

Friend of mine had a finger light (not for NVG) he used in the T-45. They're pretty cool, but not terribly useful if you can't take your hands off the controls for whatever reason.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Friend of mine had a finger light (not for NVG) he used in the T-45. They're pretty cool, but not terribly useful if you can't take your hands off the controls for whatever reason.

That's what trim's for, right? ;)

Brett

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Flying at night...

We fly at night too, no students had them, and I can only think of one IP who did... Is there any particular reason you guys need them for the 12 (like not being able to read the approach plates with the interior lights or something), or is being given them just another perk of being in 35 to go along with your plane that can climb single engine no problem and has a flushing toilet, nifty type rating, and Santa Claus grades?

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Choices are, see AI and BDHI, or be seen. Not sure about the F/H but none of our instruments or gauges are NVG compatible, and we have to use lip lights to see. Shorter people can use the grimes light, but I always hit it with my goggles anytime I look to the side.

AI=Attitude indicator? BDHI?

On the F, we invented kits that put light filters over the gauges that are not NVG compatible.

The H is completely compatible.

NavyLonghorn

We fly at night too, no students had them, and I can only think of one IP who did... Is there any particular reason you guys need them for the 12 (like not being able to read the approach plates with the interior lights or something), or is being given them just another perk of being in 35 to go along with your plane that can climb single engine no problem and has a flushing toilet, nifty type rating, and Santa Claus grades?

I guess we preffered to not fly around with white lights on...

You forgot about the 600 extra horse power, and the gear warning system that would say "too low, gear, too low, gear, all the way through on a single engine circle.

Oh, and the coolest skipper ever.

Oh, and also the hooters girl as a flight attendant on every flight. You guys had that too right?

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
I guess we preffered to not fly around with white lights on...

You forgot about the 600 extra horse power, and the gear warning system that would say "too low, gear, too low, gear, all the way through on a single engine circle.

Oh, and the coolest skipper ever.

Oh, and also the hooters girl as a flight attendant on every flight. You guys had that too right?

Naw man, we just got our own OLF so we didn't have to fly as long every flight.

*****in betty must of made review stage easier...
Visual sims musta been nice too.

NavyLonghorn

JetJunkie said:
I missed that. Thought he was talking about the T-44/TC-12. Didn't realize that Gator was a helo bubba.

"If you cant hang with the big dogs, then stay on the porch with the puppies."

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

This is similar:
finger1.jpg

Brett

In my old S-3 command pilots were issued lip lights and the NFO's were issued the finger lights. I think the lip light was a better deal.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
A lip light is a bullseye during terf and HVBSS. You can see that damn thing so far away at night it's not even funny.

Don't get me started on why that isn't an issue...well, I guess it is an issue for VBSS (H or otherwise). Everything is compatible inside, just most birds aren't bright enough to see everything precisely. The biggest issue for me was seeing the BDHI on final going to the back of the boat (Oh, BDHI-Bearing Distance Heading Indicator. We don't have the digital HSI thingy you guys do, but same functions..fly to, needles, DF, etc).

@Brett:

Yes, I knew a couple guys who had them. Seem to work well and are brighter than the lip lights. Same basic problem as the lip light, though, if you're not careful. Some Marine helo bubbas told me they used them and just kept them under the glare shield and/or charts so they wouldn't be seen outside.

@Fly:

BIs and CCX.