• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Heads up

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
We had one where we had to look at an TACAN needle/RMI and do a point to point from it and it had to be right on. Seriously. That's barely possible if you're using the pencil in the eyeball method (which is realy the only one I ever cared about). It sucked until we saw it was written down at marinegouge.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
I brute forced my way through that (TACAN) CAI... just kept guessing and writing down the correct answers until I'd exhausted all the possibilities and got my 80.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I hated that CBT. I can't remember if I had to do it again as an IUT.

parrothead08

KCCO
pilot
The old dude in book issue came in and yelled at my RIFP class for clicking through CAIs. Something along the lines of "...we see how fast you guys go. I don't understand how you learning anything from the CAIs if you go that fast. You really should do them right."

Granted I'm T34, so the CAI train is not as hardcore for us. But I'm not sure I could learn anything sitting in that room...

Wudgles

Cause I am most ill and I'm rhymin' and stealin'
pilot
The old dude in book issue came in and yelled at my RIFP class for clicking through CAIs. Something along the lines of "...we see how fast you guys go. I don't understand how you learning anything from the CAIs if you go that fast. You really should do them right."

People click through the CAIs because they're poorly written, incredibly inaccurate at times, and have next to zero training value for those reasons. Want people to do them the right way? Correct them. Hate those things.

parrothead08

KCCO
pilot
^Couldn't agree more man. I've gotten zero value out of them. The 6 students stared at him. The instructor nodded and mumbled something. Then he left.

revan1013

Death by Snoo Snoo
pilot
The trick to that Pt-to-Pt CAI was to use the whiz wheel. Took me 3 hours of trial and error until I figured that out...

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
^^ Or just use the gouge online. Even with the wheel it's 50/50

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Marinegouge has some of the answers for the more egregious CAI tests that would otherwise require you to basically brute force your way through them.

Edit: Beat me to it

jtmedli

pilot
People click through the CAIs because they're poorly written, incredibly inaccurate at times, and have next to zero training value for those reasons. Want people to do them the right way? Correct them. Hate those things.

Or just have someone actually teach a class on the stuff. Our T-6B CAIs were utterly painful when it came to the ECS system and the Avionics/HUD stuff. We hadn't even seen the inside of the airplane and the CAIs were going through how to program an ILS into the FMS system. Kinda stupid at that point in the game....the whole time I'm sitting there going, "So..umm..yea...(click, click, click, click)"

MasterBates

E-2C CAIs were the same way..

Start emergencies were taught before you knew thing ONE about the engine, to include how to start it.

IMHO, NAVAIR as a whole through the RAG frontloads the CAIs too much.. CAIs for the finer points after a human has taught you the basics is mo bettah.

OSUbeaver

Time to musk up
pilot
Wow.. That's purdy... I'm not sure if I like the idea of exposing these kids to gucci all glass stuff right off the bat. I haven't done it yet, so maybe one of you guys who've gone from glass back to steam can enlighten me, but which is harder? The glass to steam transition or vice versa?

Going from the T-6B to the TH-57B/C took some getting used to; basically because my scan sucked and was slow. The PFD in the T-6B has everything organized in such a compact area that there really isn't much of a need to dart your eyes around the instrument panel. That said, my instrument scan was pretty much where it needed to be by the second BI sim. Having flown both glass and steam I can definitely say that I'm a fan of glass and that I can't wait to transition from the F/H to the S (once I finish transitioning to the F/H that is :D)

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
The trick to that Pt-to-Pt CAI was to use the whiz wheel. Took me 3 hours of trial and error until I figured that out...

They must have increased the tolerance on this one to like +/- 10 radials since you all did it. I stuck a pen up there by the screen and got all but one right purely by eyeballing it.