• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Heads up

mcarther101

I class up for primary with VT-3 next week. I'm just memorizing my T-6 EP's before I start. I just want a heads up of what, if anything else would be good to know before starting. Also, what are some common pitfalls for Marine (or any) SNAs in Primary.

Also, does anyone know where I can get a picture of the T-6B's cockpit? They didn't have one at book issue. Something like this, but bigger and in higher resolution so I can have it printed somewhere:
http://lh3.ggpht.com/-3TxzonQfiV4/TSDzS2wzyZI/AAAAAAAAAEk/9u3us16Nd4w/AV8042-04%2520T-6B%2520%2528Navy%2529%2520t6b%2520cockpit.jpg

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Local Course Rules (FWOP for you) to include home field ops and to/from the OLFs, Everything from Ch 4 in NATOPS, and EPs are a good place to start. Don't get into systems, they'll teach you that. The EPs will make more sense after systems, but you can't really hurt yourself by not knowing them now.

Check with the squadron for posters when you check in. If it helps you, more power to ya, but I always found them pretty useless.

jtmedli

pilot
Book issue should have the T6 cockpit posters. Dont know why they would be out. Those posters are kinda pointless (for me anyways). Get in the static trainers in the sim building and run through your checklists everyday and try to understand the flow.

As far as the T6 goes...
-Know your CRS rules, EPs/limits (goes without saying), OLF ops (interval for break/crosswind turn, ELP patterns, normal pattern)
-Know the power settings for various cruise speeds.
-Play with the FMS and learn how to use it. Dont be completely FMS-retarded on your first flight.
-When you study for briefs, think of EPs as 3 things: Lights (what lights/CAS messages will I see or not see?), Limits (what limits will be exceeded or failures?), Procdures (Boldface? Pocket Check-list?)
-Dont ever just say "oh, I did that already, I know it"...read through everything and always be prepared. A ready-room unsat is a quick way to piss away your flying career with the Marine Corps and MATSG doesn't have much mercy on you guys right now.
-Think of everything as not just 'what am I reading/being told?' but also as 'what am I not reading or what is missing here and what am I not being told?'
-Be prepared for the brief and listen to your on-wing and other IPs. Use the techniques you like and throw away the ones that dont work for you. Take the good with the bad and push through. It's easy to get down on yourself around here because of airsickness, bad flights, IPs breaking your balls, etc...

PM me, you can have my T6b poster if you really need one. I'm in VT3 so I'll be around.

81montedriver

pilot
Book issue should have the T6 cockpit posters. Dont know why they would be out. Those posters are kinda pointless (for me anyways). Get in the static trainers in the sim building and run through your checklists everyday and try to understand the flow..

I found these posters to be very beneficial. Call me a nerd, but I went all out and cut out portions of the poster, put them on cardboard and arranged them so i could sit in my office chair, and the various pieces were arranged just as they would be in the cockpit. When the static trainers were occupied or closed on holidays, I would use my mock cockpit cutouts.

It got me very familiar with where everything was, to the point where i could do it blindfolded and helped me practice my EP's but going through the motions with my hands.

Different strokes for different folks but I'm a fan.

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
Wow.. That's purdy... I'm not sure if I like the idea of exposing these kids to gucci all glass stuff right off the bat. I haven't done it yet, so maybe one of you guys who've gone from glass back to steam can enlighten me, but which is harder? The glass to steam transition or vice versa?

sbeaTm08

Wake up, put a good dip in, crack a cold one
pilot
Wow.. That's purdy... I'm not sure if I like the idea of exposing these kids to gucci all glass stuff right off the bat. I haven't done it yet, so maybe one of you guys who've gone from glass back to steam can enlighten me, but which is harder? The glass to steam transition or vice versa?

I know right, us T-34 folk had to do it old school. I know down at 31 some of the Air Force dudes struggled a bit going from the T-6 to the T-44A. Showed them an actual Gyro and their heads exploded.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
It's a bit more of a struggle going to steam, but nothing too crazy. It all washes out and will be mostly moot when the 57D comes online... Whenever that is.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
^^ While I agree, it worked for him, as he's rocking Hercs now.

Primary is just as much learning to fly as learning how to learn how to fly, if that makes any sense. The initial push of Primary was a struggle for me. The second time in Advanced, I've been better at weeding through the BS and studying more effectively. You only get one chance to do Primary, Advanced, etc.

nugget61

pilot
Could you give an example of what type of "BS" you're referring to? Are you saying that you were better at avoiding "busy-work" and focusing more on what needed to be done to get through flights smoothly?

You can't avoid watches. You get scheduled, you show up, you work/study, you leave.

porw0004

standard-issue stud v2.0
pilot

I went from steam, to glass, and back to steam (T-34C/T-45C/T-44A) and the transitions were never a big deal. An ADI is a gyro whether it's depicted on a rotating sphere, a lcd screen, or scrolling tape.. same info. I was curious how switching back to steam gauge navaids would go, but it turned out to be pretty easy. Cutting 100 knots off your approach speed with an airplane that isn't trying to roll upside down all the time will do that. Relearning how to do traditional point-to-points without radial/dme offsets or even a planometric line was a bit of a pain in the ass, though.
To answer the question; I would say neither transition was more difficult than the other.

81montedriver

pilot
Could you give an example of what type of "BS" you're referring to? Are you saying that you were better at avoiding "busy-work" and focusing more on what needed to be done to get through flights smoothly?
You start to learn a lot about time management. How to balance flying with studying and staying one or two flights ahead of the game. Then you add duties to the picture.

Then you get to the fleet and you add, duties, ground job(s) and flying along with all of the other bullshit like PTP, mando PME's and then leaving some time at the end of the day for family.

That's why flight school is set up the way it is. It's a constant firehose because in a way, the rest of your career is a fire hose. However the farther you get along, the better you can manage your time and it's not as big of a deal

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor

He's talking about clicking through the CAI's so you can go home and study the gouge over some beers. Sound about right?

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If your CAIs were anything like ours in primary then if you click fast enough then you don't even have to do the little quiz thing at the end. I think my record for CAI completion was something around 7 seconds :D They were especially stupid for us as our ground school pubs were literally word for word from the CAIs, so I studied them at home over beer and did fine.