• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

HEAD's UP!! Airline Hiring (?) and Profits UP !!!

MasterBates

I have to look up how to tie a tie.

Never learned growing up. Went to OCS before I ever owned a tie. I used to borrow a tie for the "composite" pictures we took at school.

I own 2 ties. Once I bought for my Tie-Cutting, and the one for my SDBs.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
As usual, great info, appreciate those of you in the airlines passing on your experiences and perspective on the situation. Recently I have spent quite a few hours on VR aircraft, and talking with the reserve VR pilots at various airlines (Delta, Fedex, etc), and to a fault, all of them were remarking about the hiring surge ongoing, and lowering minimums to get in the door. Quite a few of my peers are pissed that they took orders for one more flying tour, when they should have gotten out. Hey, but what can you do.

I am very curious to see the impact on YGs 98-01, I honestly don't think that many of my peers (pilots) are staying in (speaking P3s). Most have already dropped their papers, and quite a few have started interviewing. Most are bitter about the community in general, and the poor handling of IAs in general.

For me, one more tour left, and I can retire. I think O4 retirement pay will offset the initial years at whatever major I end up at (hopefully).

Once again, thanks for the info, keep it coming!

Nose

pilot

Never learned growing up. Went to OCS before I ever owned a tie. I used to borrow a tie for the "composite" pictures we took at school.

Lacy Underalls: "Care to tie me up with some of your ties, Tigh?"

If you can Python, I can Caddyshack!

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor

I use this site, because I suck at ties. I always tell myself self don't ever untie it again, but somehow it always ends up untied, and in the morning I'm to hung-over to care.

http://www.neckties.com/knots.php#windsor

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
Does anybody know a pers bubba? I can't get my bro up there to crap the honest numbers of guys bailing out. He won't even venture a ballpark except for the cryptic "a lot".

robav8r

None
Contributor
Does anybody know a pers bubba? I can't get my bro up there to crap the honest numbers of guys bailing out. He won't even venture a ballpark except for the cryptic "a lot".

This will be "interesting" to watch. I've heard "a lot" of folks are bailing as well. Be curious to see how it impacts promotion zones & overall career opportunity for folks moving up the Navy ladder.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
This will be "interesting" to watch. I've heard "a lot" of folks are bailing as well. Be curious to see how it impacts promotion zones & overall career opportunity .....
"Interesting"??? "May you live in interesting times" is a Chinese curse.

History always repeats itself, as we never seem to "learn" from it .....

When I got "out" ....late '70's .... over 75% of squadron LT's were getting out (jet and VP - not my B.S. numbers, but rather the Navy's). The only guys who were staying in were the losers, the dinks, and/or the guys who were too afraid to "try" the airline dice-roll .... or crap-shoot, if that works for you. "They" got promoted ... one I know even got a carrier --- while it was in drydock for a year:) ... 'cause all the "good guys" were gone .... long gone. Obviously, I am only talking about Naval Aviators .... :sleep_125

Most (not all) of those who stayed "in" during the time frame I reference .... ended up mediocre (at best) or failures (at worst) in the Navy.

Make no mistake: I love the Navy and have since before most of you were born .... I'm just relating the facts and observations from a time long, long ago .... but then; I'm sure it's not "relevant" to these modern times ..... ;)

HuggyU2

None
The rules now are that you have to drop your resignation (18-12) months before your commitment is up.
Interesting that the Services are so different: in the USAF, we can't drop until within a year; and we can wait until 6 months prior.
We don't have near the harsh repercussions that y'all are having.

Additionally, the USAF is paying pilots in certain year groups to get out. We had one pilot get $100K, and it only required that he separate a month earlier than he would have.
Another pilot was offered the $100K+ bonus to get out. Had he stayed, he would have been eligible for the "stay in" pilot bonus of $25K per year.
Why is the USAF getting rid of 40,000 folks? To pay for the F-22, of course!

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
I believe it's 9-12 months.

Ya.. I think you are right, my bad.. However, with many folks having a year or so left on their MSR and with PRDs around the corner, you do have to make that decision a year or so out.. Guess that was the way I remember it.. Amazing how quickly you can flush things... At the rate I am going, won't remember that I was actually in the Navy... ;)

Huggy Bear

pilot
A ton of guys from my year group, '97, are bailing/have dropped letters. They were able to fill VFA department head OK, but I think next year with '98 guys they are going to really be hurting to fill DH slots. Just about everybody from my last squadron is getting out. Amazing what random 1 year IAs to Iraq do to retention.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I believe it's 9-12 months.
Wow ... how times change. For comparison -- it was 6 months when I got "out" (does anyone really EVER "get out" ??) and sometimes as little as 4-5, depending upon circumstances and the job one was holding ....

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Wow ... how times change. For comparison -- it was 6 months when I got "out" (does anyone really EVER "get out" ??) and sometimes as little as 4-5, depending upon circumstances and the job one was holding ....

The way it is "supposed" to work is drop letter at 9-12 months, BUPERS gets its stuff done and you have orders at 6 months. This is probably so you don't get regular orders if you are coming up on your PRD.

I know two people that got orders way after 6 months. One was about 3 months prior to separation and the other maybe got orders yesterday, less than 1.5 months before his separation month of November. So, he is pretty much screwed for getting a PCS move set up before his planned terminal leave.