• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Head injury and flying

lifter123

Hi, Is there anyone who could possibly point me in the right direction as far as a waiver guide for Coast Guard Pilots and head injuries? I've read the Aviation Medicine Manual, but it just says they're disqualifying, nothing regarding a waiver potential.

Also, if there are any flight surgeons on here that could personally discuss via PM, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much.

I think it depends on the type of head injury you've sustained. I've had a concussion before, but that didn't disqualify me from getting my PPL or from meps. I know the FAA has a bunch of Guidelines for head injuries, but my advice if no flight surgeons can answer would be to just go get checked out. I think the big thing is that they want to see that you haven't had any lasting effects from it.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Can't speak for USCG, and barely for USN, but....it has been my experience that head injuries in general are not DQ. LOC is not necessarily DQ. However, unexplained LOC is DQ.

zoomie08

Fast, Neat, Average...
One of my good buddies got knocked the f*ck out playing football and had a really bad concussion and his brain was bleeding and other medical stuff. He managed to get a waiver.

lifter123

Mine was a rather serious closed head injury from 7 years ago, from a car accident. I was unconscious for 5-6 days. Fortunately, there was no intercranial bleeding, cranial fractures, or hematomas. According to my neurologists, my type of brain injury, although serious, heals very well.

I went through the FAA waiver process 1.5 years ago and currently have an FAA first class flight medical with no restrictions...I also hold a multi-commercial license with instrument rating.

I currently have my medical records being screened at MEPS, hoping to let me get through that.

My hope is to fly for the coast guard, and praying that my head injury doesn't stop me from reaching that goal.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Mine was a rather serious closed head injury from 7 years ago, from a car accident. I was unconscious for 5-6 days. Fortunately, there was no intercranial bleeding, cranial fractures, or hematomas. According to my neurologists, my type of brain injury, although serious, heals very well.

I went through the FAA waiver process 1.5 years ago and currently have an FAA first class flight medical with no restrictions...I also hold a multi-commercial license with instrument rating.

I currently have my medical records being screened at MEPS, hoping to let me get through that.

My hope is to fly for the coast guard, and praying that my head injury doesn't stop me from reaching that goal.

I think your head injury will help you here...:D Seriously, hope it works out for you...Pickle

torpedo0126

When I was a junior at NROTC one of the seniors got nailed in the head during a flag football game. He was taken to the hospital and had a concussion. He went to a several civilian docs who wrote him letters declaring that he was fully fit for duty.

The Navy refused to waiver him for Naval Aviation. Obviously that's one case. This also happened his senior year so the 5-6 year thing you might have going for you.

lifter123

When I was a junior at NROTC one of the seniors got nailed in the head during a flag football game. He was taken to the hospital and had a concussion. He went to a several civilian docs who wrote him letters declaring that he was fully fit for duty.

The Navy refused to waiver him for Naval Aviation. Obviously that's one case. This also happened his senior year so the 5-6 year thing you might have going for you.

Yeah, I guess every case is different. Hopefully, since I have all medical records and no lasting effects from it, plus it will be almost 8 years by the time I would potentially apply for aviation, that will all help.