• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

HCS-5 Re-established

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
Fair enough (all). Never seen a helo do anything other than fly towards it's landing spot, come to a hover, and then land before.

busdriver

None
running through the dance card vice efficiently moving your section around.

Dudes, TFM is not a goal in and of it self. It's a tool for the flight lead to make his formation look the way it should for a given threat presentation.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Dudes, TFM is not a goal in and of it self. It's a tool for the flight lead to make his formation look the way it should for a given threat presentation.

I know this, which was exactly my point. One which gets lost on many.

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
I know this, which was exactly my point. One which gets lost on many.
I don't ever remember briefing (or getting briefed) on formation, except maybe a very specific form to get into an LZ or avoid a threat RP inbound. CHK 2 picks a side and each subsequent CHK alternates .25 or less on the TACAN. It tightens up slightly RP inbound, but we can't get that close ass 4+ 47s in a browned out, walled compound isa mess in the best of conditions. We also don't use form lights of any sort, just fly an angle off a tail cone (surpressed). We only tighten up to 1 disk inside the wire...and when we put a 4-ship in a diamond down the center of the AF Academy airfield at 50':eek:)

MR-

busdriver

None
Stearmann, I'm pretty sure they got it from the AF side of the house, and I'm pretty sure we got the concept from the fighter world. Our normal formation is a two ship and flying further apart than you guys do, more like .5 DME. As an example, if my CHK 2 is falling back near my six, but I want him closer to my 3/9 line, an in place turn (Hook turn) towards 2 will bring him further up. It's not cosmic, it's just a matter of standard terminology. You can do it blacked out, but it's much more difficult to judge aspect and requires more comm.

I'd be a complete mess if you tried it with a four ship, thinking about maintaining control over a four ship spread out that large makes my head hurt.