• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Has The Navy Gone Geedunk Crazy?

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
I was thinking about how many of the guys who were in combat don't come home with a BSM yet alone anything, but then I thought for those that have been in combat I am guessing coming home alive beats any award they could get.
I completely agree. Saw guys going in and out the gate in MRAPS all of the time. These were the same guys we might be or actually were called to pickup after an IED/EFP. I know most got nothing like a BSM. However, the doctors at our TMC who never left the wire and only had a few casualties to treat ended up with BSMs.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
What bothers me is the "he's [x rank], so he gets [y medal]."
When it comes to EOT and other non-combat awards, wouldn't it be fair to say that the responsibility of, say, an O-4 is significantly higher than that of an E-4? Would it also not be fair to say that an O-4 generally needs to do more to go 'above and beyond' for an award than an E-4?

LET73

When it comes to EOT and other non-combat awards, wouldn't it be fair to say that the responsibility of, say, an O-4 is significantly higher than that of an E-4? Would it also not be fair to say that an O-4 generally needs to do more to go 'above and beyond' for an award than an E-4?
Yes, but I don't think that sort of distinction comes up very often; I'm not talking about giving a first-tour E-4 a DMSM. In general, achievements will increase along with rank, but there's a problem when a command ties awards to rank and not to achievements.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Yes, but I don't think that sort of distinction comes up very often; I'm not talking about giving a first-tour E-4 a DMSM. In general, achievements will increase along with rank, but there's a problem when a command ties awards to rank and not to achievements.
It's not a command, most of the rank criteria is determined by the Navy's award instruction.

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
Whoa, whoa now! Running the geedunk is a highly complex, very lucrative endeavor that can result in accolades beyond your wildest imagination. In 92/93, I ran the geedunk at HSL-48 - made enough money to fund a summer picnic for the entire squadron (and their families) and the yearly Christmas party (wasn't a "Holiday Party" back then :). Back then you could contract with local pizza/chicken wing/sub vendors and make a killing on the profit margin. I also made two pots of coffee from one coffee filter & coffee, but I don't want to reveal all my tricks . . .

I think your endeavors in the geedunk are worthy of at least an NCM...possibly verging on LOM but then you said Christmas party instead of Holiday party so the PC police have downgraded it to an LOC...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It's not a command, most of the rank criteria is determined by the Navy's award instruction.

Which actually specifically states that the awards in the 1650 aren't for a specific rank. However, I've seen staffs (Wing and higher) set the rank criteria, so it's a legit concern.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Which actually specifically states that the awards in the 1650 aren't for a specific rank. However, I've seen staffs (Wing and higher) set the rank criteria, so it's a legit concern.
The 1650 talks about some requirements for some awards, but not all. For instance, it says that a NAM is for O-4 and junior. For a DSM it says the award is for officers in a major command while the legion of merit is for officers in lesser commands.

Interesting sidebar: it also says that NAMs are not to be given for service involving aerial flight.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The 1650 talks about some requirements for some awards, but not all. For instance, it says that a NAM is for O-4 and junior. For a DSM it says the award is for officers in a major command while the legion of merit is for officers in lesser commands.

Well played...beating me up with the very instruction I quoted. I guess I meant more specifically, like "O4/E7 gets NCM, O5/E9 gets MSM, etc," which is what I've seen happen.

Interesting sidebar: it also says that NAMs are not to be given for service involving aerial flight.

I think we found that at one point and joked about resubmitting our awards. I guess I'll have to take it off when I make CNO.

So what do you get instead of a NAM? An air medal? :p

Yes, or higher if it warrants it.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
The rank criteria is also partially to prevent award inflation for giving someone an 'attaboy.' It sometimes screws people over when they do something truly exceptional, but for the most part it serves its intention. Oh, you risked your life going inside a burning steel tube multiple times? Here's a NAM. Yep, that's the same award we gave YN2 last month for staying a couple hours late to reorganize some file cabinets, but we can't give an E-5 a NCM.

In terms of peacetime/admin side (which I think is what everyone is griping about): I also don't see two people with different ranks doing the exact same job and doing the exact same 'above and beyond' act getting two different awards.

707guy

that's the same award we gave YN2 last month for staying a couple hours late to reorganize some file cabinets, but we can't give an E-5 a NCM.

Hey I was a YN2 when I received my NAM - but I had E2s and E3s do the filing... :)

ltedge46

Lost in the machine
None
Hey I was a YN2 when I received my NAM - but I had E2s and E3s do the filing... :)
So yours was for "exceptional management" rather than actual filing. Those junior sailors would have f'ed it all up without your guidance. ;)

Gen Patton had 14 US Military decorations, I have 16. There's something wrong with that.

707guy

So yours was for "exceptional management" rather than actual filing.

Unfortunately my filing management skills went unnoticed... Mine was actually for running the TAD department for a couple of years - yeah I bugged the shit out of people for travel claim receipts... :)

Renegade One

None
Skipper's Call: I have the authority to award NAMs…or I could submit the citations (for service involving aerial flight) into the great maw of the Navy awards process (in peacetime)…and get a "denied" letter in two years…after all of us have moved on.