• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Has anyone heard, been denied, or accepted lately?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigmikenjax

I mailed my OCS package out today!! I am very excited! I am applying for AMDO , I heard they are having a board tomorrow and the next one will not be until sometime in June, can't wait until then. C'mon June.Wish me luck!! I'll keep everyone updated. Mike

mikedjp

My OCS package was denied. I'm in the process of enlisting. I plan to reapply to OCS for a SNA slot after I get some active duty time under my belt.

sara_noh81

hey mikedjp, sorry about your non-select, but its good to see that you are still motivated! i noticed you are also thinking about grad school....is that now out the window with your enlistment? i'm also considering enlisting (haven't been denied, but i'm just thinking about options) or doing rotc during grad school. do you know anything about the latter, like what schools offer it and how to apply?

**GOD BLESS AMERICA**

mikedjp

sara_noh81, i looked into rotc for grad school. the only two option are with either the AFROTC or the Army ROTC. Navy ROTC is reserved for undergrads only. there are many ways you can find schools with rotc programs, first look into the schools you might want to go to and know you can get accepted into and check their websites for the ROTC links. Or you can go to the AFROTC homepage or the AROTC homepage and search for colleges with programs, it's pretty easy. Then you have to get accepted to the university before you can really do anything towards getting into ROTC. I would recommend that you talk to the ROTC detachments at all of the schools you are thinking about before you apply. I was really close to taking the ROTC path.

I've decided to put off grad school in favor of enlistment for the following reasons (specific to my personal situation):
1) I'm 26 years old, and really close to being too old to get an SNA slot. I'll be happy to be an officer if not a NA, but I want to keep the option open)
2) I'm married and would rather not put the burden of paying rent on my wife while I go back to school full time. (even if I got an ROTC sholarship, still have to pay the bills.)
3) I already have student loans and I don't want anymore and there is a student loan repayment program available to enlisted members.
4) I will go in as an E3 and a I qualify for a bonus because I have a degree
5) I dislike my current 9-5 job, and I'm excited about serving and getting into the Navy asap.
6) I will improve my chances of getting picked up for OCS in a year or two a great deal by getting some prior service.
7) I can get a graduate education while in the Navy without incurring any more debt.

I think there are a couple of more reasons that influenced my decision to enlist...but that's all I can think of now.

Of course there are some drawbacks to enlisting, which I have considered as well. But there are draw backs to everything.

let me know if I can answer any more questions.
-mike

bart27

I was recently (2 weeks ago) accepted to OCS with a start date of Oct 18/19, 2003. To my surprise, I was also selected for Pilot. I feel very lucky since they have supposedly closed the community for at least 2004. If there is anyone else out there with the same start date as me, I would be interested in getting to know you before heading down.

04Hopeful

EA3 -> IS3 -> Intel O1(hopefully)
Mike....I think it is great that you are enlisting, as it will increase your chance of getting into OCS later. I do want to share something with you that I read either on this board or somewhere else, but it related to going to school while enlisted. This particular person mentioned that the job she had was on board a carrier and laughed at the fact that people thought Navy life onboard was something similar to a simple 9-5 (I have no experience in this) it seems however that there is tons of work, followed by watches and other chores and really no time to study at all. That was her reason for leaving the enlisted service to go to school full time. Just my 2 cents worth and a heads up, maybe your situation will be different then yours, she did mention it was easier if you are stationed on land. Good luck!

mikedjp

04Hopeful, thanks for the 2 cents. I already have a BA so I can put my OCS package in again after I get to my A school or to my first real job. I'll have to feel out the situation when I'm in A school before I resubmit. I've heard that in many cases it's better to at least wait until you are out in the fleet. I'll work on taking grad school classes when I have a chance either when I'm enlisted or later on, but If I'm too busy on the ship to do it, I can still send in my package for OCS.

jrklr

bart,
congrats man, I had a feeling that pilot wasnt really closed. This should be a motivation to others applying to OCS right now too. I've heard a lot about "closed" communities but it always seems that if you're qualified enough you will get what you want. good luck to everyone, get those app.s in, you might just get "lucky"!

digger

There is a speed limit when taxing officer?
I would like to hear from what the rest of the active duty community thinks? The Question- what sailors have been denied lately? The Intel that I have gathered from my CCC (Command Career Counselor, for the civilians
smgreen_125.gif
) and the various aircraft carrier CCC, that anchor in port, is that acceptance is 100%. I have not seen a post from someone that is active duty that has been denied. If I am wrong please bring to are attention.

Bart and cjmn, was pilot/intel the only option stated on your 1420/1? Do you mind sharing what you think set you apart from everyone else? Thanks.

"Those people who tell you not to take chances
They are all missing on what life is about" -James Hetfield

cjmn

Hi Digger,

I'm a civilian, so I can't speak for the active duty folks.

I applied with Intel, Supply and Crypto, in that order. My initial application was submitted on March 28th. I found out within a few weeks that I was pro rec'd for Supply and then a couple weeks later pro rec'd for Intel. I found out on May 23rd that I picked up by Intel.

I honestly don't know what exactly they are looking for. I'll be 30 in October and I have no prior-service. I have a BA and Masters and have been working in the securities industry for alomst four years. When I appied I heard that Intel is tough to get into, but I also figured that the worst they would say is no.

Colleen

dolfinsafe

Colleen,
I also applied to the same communities you did, and am also a civilian and also have BA and Masters.
My first choice was Supply, then Intel, then Crypto. I got prof. recm'd for Supply last week, and that's all the news that I have.
You on the other hand, mention that you got selected to Intel, as well as prof recom'd into supply. what is the difference?
Also once selected, did you already do your memps and security stuff, or did they just give you the OCS date off the bat?
Thanks,
Anna

"the elusive half-step between middle-management and true leadership is grace under pressure." JFK

stevew

Originally posted by bart27
I was recently (2 weeks ago) accepted to OCS with a start date of Oct 18/19, 2003. To my surprise, I was also selected for Pilot. I feel very lucky since they have supposedly closed the community for at least 2004. If there is anyone else out there with the same start date as me, I would be interested in getting to know you before heading down.

Congratulations!! Can you let us know what your app looked like? ASTB scores? GPA? LOR's? etc. Thanks.

bart27

Stevew, I have a degree in Business Finance with a 3.4 gpa. I scored a 7 on the math/verbal section of the ASTB and the rest were 8s. I don't have my PPL, but I do have right around 40hrs. I have participated in numerous sports including football, golf, racquetball and auto racing. My LORS came from profs, family friends, and employers. I have done some sky diving in addition to working w/ Habitat for Humanity. I ran a 9:58 and had 77 PUs, 101 SUs. I merely put together the best package I was capable of. If you have any further questions, let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.