• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Guns, FFLs and IDs

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
I've bought plenty of stuff online, as well. My problem is dealing with the CA hurdle, which can be a pain and costs much more than a typical FFL transfer fee. I'll just have to wait until I head back to FL for Xmas. My question was more about the address on my license versus my "permanent residence," but I'll save that for another thread.

Another possibility, for others maybe moreso than you/CA....If you can qualify as a seasonal resident in a state, that state may allow firearms purchase in that state, even if you hold a DL from another state. Completely legal in places such as Nevada. NV has a seasonal resident ID card, issued by DMV.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I moved your post over to a new thread...

That's good gouge and something to keep in mind. My main question is this:

-DL currently has a Jax, FL address that I don't reside at anymore.
-Parents live in Jax, and as such, would be my "permenant residence."
-If I were to buy a gun while back in Florida, it would be in Jax (or shipped to a FFL in Jax).

So assuming I didn't just get a new ID from the state (which may or may not be a hassle from CA), is the "easiest" method of walking out with a gun in hand is to just give the address on my DL and call it good? (and yes, I know that the address on the FFL form has to match the ID).

In the meantime, I'll look at getting a new ID, but this was more of an academic question.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
There is a federal law that you can buy a long gun in any state of the union as long as you aren't prohibited (i.e., a felon), regardless of what state you are a resident of. So, you don't have to go to Jax to buy your guns, you can buy it wherever you want (and you don't even have to be stationed in that state either). And yes, just use the address on your license.

From the ATF. Licensee in this case is an FFL holder, aka, a gun shop.

A person may only buy a firearm within his own State except that he may buy a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee's premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides.
[18 U.S.C 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 178.29]

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
A person may only buy a firearm within his own State except that he may buy a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee's premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides.
[18 U.S.C 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 178.29]

Bold emphasis by me. If I were to try this in CA, I would fail miserably (if I weren't on orders). I just went through this when I bought a lower.

I originally asked the question for buying a handgun, so it doesn't really apply anyway, but I appreciate the info. CA likes to randomly insert their own laws and ignore the Federal ones. FFLs will even collect the tax on the purchase here even if it was purchased out of state.

But yeah, I'm thinking that since I have a FL license from the same general city as where I'd pick up the gun, it would probably be fine.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
I moved your post over to a new thread...

That's good gouge and something to keep in mind. My main question is this:

-DL currently has a Jax, FL address that I don't reside at anymore.
-Parents live in Jax, and as such, would be my "permenant residence."
-If I were to buy a gun while back in Florida, it would be in Jax (or shipped to a FFL in Jax).

So assuming I didn't just get a new ID from the state (which may or may not be a hassle from CA), is the "easiest" method of walking out with a gun in hand is to just give the address on my DL and call it good? (and yes, I know that the address on the FFL form has to match the ID).

In the meantime, I'll look at getting a new ID, but this was more of an academic question.
Easiest? Yup, it sure is. But, you should consider the odd situation that your gun would get 'noticed' and entered into a database(stolen, etc. I know you are not a thug) ...whooops, Gatordev fibbed on his 4473....We (ATF) better go talk with him. I don't think it is worth the risk.

It would be much easier, and legal, to have someone who can buy the gun (W/ appropriate ID) give it or sell it to you.

Edit: When I got my new seasonal resident ID card, (the first one had my PO box; not good for gun buy) the girl at the DMV office said "I bet you wanna be able to buy guns?" Completely legal, even for title II stuff.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Copy all. So what you're saying is that my parents just need to buy me a gun for Xmas. I'll let them know you're on board with this.

Speaking of Title II...it's amazing how slow the ATF works, but when I sent them my change in address for the item, I got a reply in a week. Why can't all their other Forms go that quick? Talk about a government office that's in a dire need of some IT guys so they can computerize everything and speed up the process.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Yup, that transaction has all the approval I can muster over the interent. Besides, you are a good guy. I am sure they will vouch for you. And, you deserve it. :)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
In case anyone else runs into something like this...

Turns out it's very easy to get a reissued, readdressed DL from the state of FL. The problem I had encountered before was for an expiring license, so different issue. So I have a FL addressed DL being sent to me in the mail at my CA address. All too easy.

Somewhat related...
Do most people leave their car registration/DL in their home state during flight school?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It depends. Some do, some don't. Personally, I was already a FL resident, but if I hadn't been, I probably would have switched since you don't have state taxes. I'm not too smart on how a DL/tag affects the residency stuff.

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
Somewhat related...
Do most people leave their car registration/DL in their home state during flight school?
Informal poll amongst friends seems to suggest it's about 50/50. I think state of residence income taxes are the driving factor, although several states with income taxes do not tax military members.