• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Guns and your Individual Augmentee (IA) assignment

heynowlookout

pilot
Contributor
There are about 200 here now at Ft. Jackson. Easily the most "diverse" group of folks I've been around in a long time. Day 4 assessment, most are genuinely deer in the headlights right now as the reality for many that they will be in theater in a matter of weeks has set in. Weapons immersion has most of us more concerned about the ability of some people to move about strapped. The females and heavier folks are generally in the hurt locker because of the temps and weight of gear. The range of experience of our group is as varied as you might expect as are maturity and levels of motivation/professionalism. Most are reservists. The utter lack of weapons familiarity is clearly a chasm that totally unnerves the drill sergeants but they conceal it well (mostly). More to come....I'm on weapons watch right now...oh the good news? We get 700 rounds each of 5.56 and several hundred on the M9.

Wow. I don't think I put more than about 150 rounds through my M4 and maybe 50 through my M9 at Fort Dix. Now exactly a high degree of experience considering I'd never shot a rifle before and had only shot a pistol twice before going there.

D

Deleted member 24525

Camp McGrady is a WASTE of time. I have yet to be in a HUMV convoy..it is mainly me as a pax in a Toyota 4 Runner with my armor in the back seat.
What would have been better training is for them to hand us a shitload of SOPs and FRAGos, a Map of Afghansitan, and 3 weeks of Power Point training.

I

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
Shot over 150 rounds yesterday alone on the A2 (yep, Saturday on the 300 meter acoustic range on 6 full courses of fire in body armor in South Carolina in July!), going to shoot well over 3-400 this coming week. I'm not even a "mandatory qual". If you are a relatively new shooter, they spend even more time and ammo on you.
Now the rest of the stuff is baloney. But damn, the shooting is fun.
Oh, did I mention a FN factory is 3 miles from Ft Jackson and for military folks you can go there, get a tour and pick one of these up for a little over $340 bucks.
DisplayPic.aspx

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
But damn, the shooting is fun.

Random memory- the morning my class rode the "prison bus" from the barracks to the range, one of the local radio stations had a thing where they'd play an entire album. The timing worked out pretty well (more or less) so from the moment we rolled out to the moment we pulled up we were treated to Van Halen's 1984. Nice.

Yeah, the shooting is fun. :D

DangerousDan

I could tell you but I would have to kill you
Oh, did I mention a FN factory is 3 miles from Ft Jackson and for military folks you can go there, get a tour and pick one of these up for a little over $340 bucks.
DisplayPic.aspx

I was aware there was an FN Factory there but didnt know they had a deals like that!

D

Deleted member 24525

Everything else is a WASTE of time better spent with family.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
A "senior person" shot himself in the foot last week on the m9 table. The females are largely disasters on the tables of fire. Overall impression with five days left is still that mostly command discards are sent here and that most are totally ill-prepared whether it be physical or mental. Sorry to say. Gave our last group 5 total oportunities to qualify (that's just qualifying) in the m16 and some still needed magic counting help. The Drill Sergeants are okay, but the contract guys are disconnected from them and causes a lot of delays. Convoy stuff next week...joy.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
A "senior person" shot himself in the foot last week on the m9 table. The females are largely disasters on the tables of fire. Overall impression with five days left is still that mostly command discards are sent here and that most are totally ill-prepared whether it be physical or mental. Sorry to say. Gave our last group 5 total oportunities to qualify (that's just qualifying) in the m16 and some still needed magic counting help. The Drill Sergeants are okay, but the contract guys are disconnected from them and causes a lot of delays. Convoy stuff next week...joy.

If your spider sense is tingling now - you're gonna love the hell out of Udari.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
Finished up and escaped as of last Wednesday. Overall, not a great deal of value. The culmination exercise was a good secenario, but 3 weeks isn't long enough to turn a YN into a Humvee gunner. That's also not the stated intent of the program. The tactical types made it fun, but admin folks are largely woefully unprepared. The Drill Sergeants (mostly good guys) are not on the same page as the contractors (Omega). Lots of dead time, poor organization, schedule conflicts, etc. Weapons immersion and weapons responsibility seems to be the primary takeaway. So it goes....

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Thirded.... What good is it if you cant spend a horrible night sleeping on the floor?

Ah, memories :) I slept outside of the tents on the second night at Udari. I figured WTH and just set up my sleeping bag on a table. (If the bugs and critters were gonna get me then they'd have to earn it by climbing the table first.) And that night I didn't get woken up by the noisy, flashlight waving motivators back in the tent who were up and at 'em two hours early for the oh dark thirty muster. (How long does it take to put your pants and boots back on, roll up your sleeping bag, and eat an MRE?)