• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

[GUN] The collection grows...

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
This time, a 1943 Gustloff Werke K98 Mauser. It's a Russian-captured rifle, so it came slathered in dark commie shellac (
emot-eng101.gif
made with pigs blood, hence the reddish sheen). A little work with some denatured alcohol and I got all the shellac off and got the wood a lot closer to it's original unfinished appearance (Germans didn't finish their K98 stocks from the factory - it was up to the original owner to smear it with whatever). The Russians also spraypainted a lot of the metal black, so that was fun scrubbing it all off. Loads of original stampings and marks are still there and clear as day. Sight hood and cleaning rod are on order to complete the look. Next up, a couple turret mounts and a repro scope to make it a sniper rig.

Before:

After:

Wedge

A question a little off the subject but do you have a concealed weapons permit. I only ask because I was thinking of getting one in Florida and you seem like the type that might know about these things. How does one get one, and what are the laws on it. Any help would be greatfull.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wedge said:
A question a little off the subject but do you have a concealed weapons permit. I only ask because I was thinking of getting one in Florida and you seem like the type that might know about these things. How does one get one, and what are the laws on it. Any help would be greatfull.

PM me, I just applied for my Florida CCW.

Av8or72Dan

I have a M48A which looks exactly the same. To be honest, I don't even know the difference except that it was made in Yugo. I bought some old ammo (8MM) dated back to WWII. It was still in the unopened original wooden box. I opened it and I had to remove the metal box before I could get to the ammo. The ammo was in cloth packs that the soldiers use to wear around their waists (or wherever). I was going to put a scope on it. The gunsmith said that he would have to get a new bolt (or modify the old one) and drill and tap holes in the original marking. He also wanted about $120 for labor and parts (except scope). I did not want to destroy the rifle so I left it alone.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
"bandoliers" is the term you're looking for

...and that gunsmith is an idiot. There are a multitude of ways to install a scope and mounts on a mauser w/o replacing the bolt. I intend to make mine a sniper clone with an era-correct scope and mount and it doesnt require a different bolt. That's part of the problem with dealing with old guns... your run of the mill smith doesn't know much about them... but any smith that doesn't know a Mauser I would run from. I mean, it's not like the most famous bolt-action design EVER or anything.

also, I wouldn't worry too much about dinging a Yugo M48. They are pretty much a dime a dozen these days. $150 can get you an unissued one.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is a M48A a straightbolt or downturned bolt? I can't remember.

Av8or72Dan

It's a turn down bolt. I also have a **** ton of stripper-clips if you want any. I'll try to get some pics up soon. Anyone know a way to stop the stock from bleeding everytime it gets hot from firing?

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Av8or72Dan said:
It's a turn down bolt. I also have a **** ton of stripper-clips if you want any. I'll try to get some pics up soon. Anyone know a way to stop the stock from bleeding everytime it gets hot from firing?

steam it or put it in a black garbage bag w/ kitty litter and leave it in the sun for a couple days. soaking it/scrubbing it with mineral spirits will work as well.

it's bleeding cosmoline b/c you didn't clean it all out. my garand upper handguard does the same thing.

ps - I'll take some stripper clips if youre handing them out :)