• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Gun Safes - A Primer

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
This is an excellent video about gun safes by an expert that really knows his stuff. If you are in the market for a safe don't buy without watching this first.

Renegade One

None
Didn't watch the video...but here's my version of "truth" Buy one at least TWICE as big as you think you will EVER need. You will need it sooner than you think.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Don't forget, your ammo is going to take up at least as much space as your guns, too :)

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Don't forget, your ammo is going to take up at least as much space as your guns, too :)

No chance the ammo would fit in the safe with the guns. :D I actually have a lot more separate brass/bullets/powder/primers than loaded ammo. I will say for you young guys suck it up and spend the money. Being gone at the drop of a hat and extended deployment having everything safe and secure is priceless. I bought my first Fort Knox over 20 years ago and have never regretted it.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
I wish. I can barely fit my ammo in my garage....just kidding..... sorta

I learned a lot from that video about how to see thru marketing bs and how to read specs etc.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
This was a great watch but still has me scratching my head about how much I "really" need. There's a decent price on a Browning Medallion M39 (mentioned in the vid) at a local store, but I can't find specs on the door other than the BS fairing thickness number. I haven't really been able to find much else concrete online, review-wise other than a link that was in another thread here.

My big delimma I'm wrestling with is that I can't put a safe in my place where I live now. Only my garage (not in view when the door is open) and it would be cramped. I'm just not sure the fire protection (my primary concern now, with keeping someone out as a near second) is worth having it in a hot (for now....cooler in a month or so) garage, down a flight of stairs and away from where I can easily pack stuff up when I go shoot.

I still want to go look at a Ft. Knox at a safe store, just to see what a local price is and if it's worth it. My one issue with the video is that the guy is a Ft. Knox volume dealer, so while they seem to be great safes, I wonder if they're really worth the increased price.