• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Gun Ownership

Status
Not open for further replies.

flynglthrnk

USMC PLC
This is kind of off topic, but does anyone know the gun ownership policy for military personal? Is it any different than civillian gun laws?

Rotorhead

You can own as many as you want. You can't keep them in your house if you live on base (legally). Other than that, the rules are pretty much the same. Can't drive around on base with a gun in the gun rack of your pick up truck though!

towbubba

boot 46 pilot
I am a California resident with the most rediculous gun laws in the west. With a copy of your orders and a drivers license and I think two pieces of mail to your house (if out in town) otherwise a cell phone bill and bank statement and you can purchase weapons on base for sure. You may but anything that isn't federally banned or restricted by the base CO. I bought a USP Tac .45 H&K at TBS aboard MCB Quantico and I couldn't buy it in Cali because of the threaded barrel. Most Naval bases don't sell firearms it seems because I have not seen them at NAS Pensacola or Whiting. Good luck and flex your 2nd ammend rights.

flynglthrnk

USMC PLC
Thanks so far let me give you my situation: I am a Maryland resident, and before the liberal governer got voted out the last thing he did was pass a pistol law. Now in Maryland, the only pistols that can be sold are ones with integrated key lock systems. Not too many companies make pistols with that option, so now Maryland residents basically can't buy any handguns, from single action revolvers, all the way up to beretta's that are made in Maryland. I was just concerned because I wanted to buy a few pistols in the future, and my friend told me he thought military personal had different restrictions. Keep telling me more though!!!

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Rotorhead said:
You can't keep them in your house if you live on base (legally).

Sure you can.

I lived on base at Quantico and Corpus, and as long as you register your firearms with the MP's you can keep as many as you like. They about sh!t when I filled out the paperwork for my 20+ guns.

Registering them is nothing more than filling out a weapons card so they can have on file just in case a weapon is used in a crime on base, they'll have something to check out.

JKD

normally you can only purchase a weapon in your state of residence. I'm not sure how it works with the Marine Bases. If you change your residency, then you would no longer be under the laws of Maryland.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you live in the BOQ, you must either register the weapons in the armory or keep them off-base. I keep mine in off-base storage.

flynglthrnk

USMC PLC
Towbubba, so you are saying you bought an issue pistol that you would normally not be able to buy in Cali? See I want to know if I will be able to buy a pistol even though as a Maryland civillian I would not be able to, so does this means I would have to change my residency? Or can you buy guns that you normally wouldn't be able to buy as a civillian if you are military personal? (excluding full auto or other weapons that are nationally banned) I Just want to be able to buy a pistol and Maryland gun laws suck!!!

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Full-auto isn't banned [;)] It just requires a lot of hoops to jump through...and a lot of money since they are very expensive.

If you come to Florida, get a Florida ID and you will then be able to buy handguns in Florida. You can buy rifles out-of-state, but you can't take it home right away, it has to get shipped to a FFL in your home state. The state ID or drivers license will do away with those problems though.

flynglthrnk

USMC PLC
So you can be a resident of florida when you are training at P-cola, or do you have to own property? Also, Towbubba might have said this but you can purchase Issue guns on base? If so they must be cheaper that way.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
The base PX on Marine bases have a "sports Dept" or even a sports/outdoor store. They sell firearms and ammo along with all the other stuff.

I don't know about "issue guns".

stevew

I'm a little confused here. Don't you need to have a license in your state of residense before you can purchase a firearm? So if you are at TBS how can you just show up with some ID and orders and they will sell you a gun? Wouldn't you first have to jump through the Va. licensing hoops before you can just pick one up at the base in Quantico? Also, in what states are you permitted to own it, or is it just resticted to firing them on the local bases ranges and not in a civilian range? Towbubba, I'm not questioning the integrity of your statement, I'm just trying to figure out how the whole thing works.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Most states require no firearms license to own a firearm. The license I'm talking about is a drivers license. For Florida, live off-base and get either a State ID with your address on it or a drivers license with your address on it. That right there allows you to buy firearms in the state. This is how I bought a pistol and a shotgun here in Florida. My drivers license now shows a PO box as the address, but I'm a Florida resident regardless (just did that, woohoo saving on taxes!).

Status
Not open for further replies.