• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Gun Laws in your state

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
I'm thinking about heading up to Austin for the game as well. I'm not a UT alum, but I've never seen college ball in person so it should be fun. And I hear the UT girls are bangin'.

Planning on throwing a shitload of beer in the back of my trucklet and doing the tailgate thing, if anyone is interested...

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
I'm thinking about heading up to Austin for the game as well. I'm not a UT alum, but I've never seen college ball in person so it should be fun. And I hear the UT girls are bangin'.

Planning on throwing a shitload of beer in the back of my trucklet and doing the tailgate thing, if anyone is interested...

I was thinking I would let you go through with your plan, but then I though that would be SWO of me...

You should know that you don't just show up to a Texas football game and tailgate...

Tailgating has an established hierarchy and space is very limited... tailgating at your hotel might be a reality, but you're not likely to find a place within walking distance to the game...

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
I was thinking I would let you go through with your plan, but then I though that would be SWO of me...

You should know that you don't just show up to a Texas football game and tailgate...

Tailgating has an established hierarchy and space is very limited... tailgating at your hotel might be a reality, but you're not likely to find a place within walking distance to the game...

You're breaking my heart.

In that case I'll pregame the tailgate (pre-pregame?) with a few 40's and see where life takes me.

Bevo16

pilot
C420,

If you end up going up to Austin, get with me a few days prior and I'll get you set up with a tailgate or two. I can't promise that they will be the hot spots with all of the primo skirt, but they will have all the free beer and bbq that you can stuff in your face. Their tailgate is sponsored by Budweiser and Earl Campbell Meat Company, so if you leave hungry or thirsty, it's your fault. Statesman, that offer is good for you too. The folks that I tailgate with love military folks, and we have been good friends for a decade. The will love to have you there.

Boyd,

Look for an e-mail early next week. Fabby and I have an "Executive Level" room at the Hilton so we are high rollin. Drinks at the Stephen F. Austin bar on Friday if you can make it. The night will evolve from there. My liver is on notice that Friday the 4th is going to hurt.

rare,

If you ask me if I have a weapon or permit, I will head-butt you into next week. I might do it anyway just for old time's sake. The tail gate that I am at has multiple HDTV's, so if you want to come for the party and watch the game at the tailgate (lots of people do this), I am sure that will be cool...and cheaper.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
I'm up for tail gating but i dont know if you'll want me there with my two rugrats running around. oh and have to bring the wife too. And about your CHL permit, dont worry I already ran your driver's license info...haha j/k :eek:

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Washington Post article

Thought you gun nuts ;) might be interested in this story. The Washington Post had one of their reporters go through the entire process to own a handgun in DC, quite the process. They even let him expense it. In the end he was at least a 'partial' convert.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Thought you gun nuts ;) might be interested in this story. The Washington Post had one of their reporters go through the entire process to own a handgun in DC, quite the process. They even let him expense it. In the end he was at least a 'partial' convert.

Yep, read that when wife brought a Pravda West :D home. Pretty good article that clearly points out the absurdity of the process from the perspective of someone who has never been a shooter/owner but has realized that bad people are out there and that we have a right to defend ourselves.

ACowboyinTexas

Armed and Dangerous
pilot
Contributor
I liked that even though the author decided not to keep a pistol in the home, he didn't condemn those who do decide to keep them. It almost sounds like he would support the right to own arms.
And, yes - hell yes. I'm glad I'm back in Texas!

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
From a reader comment on Bevo's article above. Interesting and goes towards earlier arguements in this thread. A very low percentage CHL holders are convicted each year. Approx 99.75% percent of convictions were non-CHL holders.

The following reports represent the number of Concealed Handgun License (CHL) holders with convictions vs. the entire TX population with convictions.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/convrates.htm

rare21

pilot
Contributor
I think the word "quietly" is a damn understatement in this article! This is the first I've heard of this law passing. We got neat little booklets about all the seatbelt, cell phone usage in school zones, etc. law changes but not this. I'm going to pass around this info at the department because I can guarantee this is not common knowledge here. In my opinion I disagree with it due to an officer safety standpoint but i'm not a lawmaker. I've never met a Texas officer that was in a shootout with a CHL holder but I have met officers in other states that have had one or more shootouts with CHL holders in their states. Even if you are unarmed I appreciate it more that you showed me your concealed handgun license with your drivers license because it makes it much more less likely that i'm dealing with a crazy felon on the run. And in my playing field it equals more warnings instead of tickets.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
The military folks are just like everyone else.... Just because you show me a military ID doesnt mean I'm going to get all "warm and fuzzy" inside.

Even if you are unarmed I appreciate it more that you showed me your concealed handgun license with your drivers license because it makes it much more less likely that i'm dealing with a crazy felon on the run. And in my playing field it equals more warnings instead of tickets.

Interesting...no warm and fuzzy for the military ID but showing you a CHL increases the chances of getting a warning.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
In my opinion I disagree with it due to an officer safety standpoint but i'm not a lawmaker.

I'm curious your thoughts on the comment in the article about non-licensee's being able to have firearms in their cars, and if they don't mention it but yet are found out, no punishment. Yet, a CHL doesn't mention it and it's found, a ticket? That doesn't seem logical.

Bevo16

pilot
I'm curious your thoughts on the comment in the article about non-licensee's being able to have firearms in their cars, and if they don't mention it but yet are found out, no punishment. Yet, a CHL doesn't mention it and it's found, a ticket? That doesn't seem logical.

That's why they fixed it.

Texas is a gun friendly state. The "Traveler's Exemption" made it legal for gun owners to legally carry firearms in their vehicle without having to get a CCW permit. Say your wife has a job that requires her to do a lot of driving... sales for example. She does not want to carry a gun with her into sales calls (that would require a CCW), but would like to have some protection with her so if she breaks down she is not at the mercy of the first person to pass by. That is what that this law was for.

The CCW laws were seperate, and had some requirements that were different than those for who were carrying IAW laws that apply to permit holders. The new law streamlines the process.

It all positive IMHO.