• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

[GUN] Florida CCW

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
jamnww said:
How does one go about getting paperwork for that? No handgun but would be handy to have...

Follow the link I posted. It has a "How Do I Apply?" section.

chupacabra

pilot
Contributor
New Texas Laws

Not Florida CCW, but some new laws regarding military members and CHLs in Texas that just came into effect on September 1st.

Texas Gun Law Update 2005

Half-price sale for CHLs for the military, and eligible at age 18 not 21.
HB 322 -- Amends Government Code 411.172, 411.174(a) and 411.184(a)

Reduces all fees (taxation) for a CHL by 50%, for the armed forces, reserves, national guard and state guard, but not for veterans as originally planned (the state Senate removed them). Also reduces the age from 21 to 18 at which members of those groups, including veterans but not the state guard, can get a CHL. Such applicants must be honorably discharged if they are out of service, and must meet the standard eligibility requirements. They must also provide a pair of color profile passport photos when applying. [The fee is now $70 instead of $140 for military]

No CHL shooting test for qualified military personnel
HB 685 -- Adds Government Code 411.1881

Exempts all military personnel and veterans from taking the shooting test of the CHL program if they have been weapons certified by the military in the past five years. DPS must implement procedures to accept and use such certifications.

CHL now good for five years instead of four, non-residents welcome to apply.
HB 225 -- Amends Government Code 411.173(a), 411.173(b) and 411.183(b)

Extends the renewal period for a concealed handgun license from four to five years with no increase in cost. Allows residents of any other state to apply for a Texas CHL (used to be limited to only those states that didn't issue their own permits). Allows such licenses to expire and be renewed the same as resident licenses. A background check is defined as a search of NCIC and III databases (National Crime Information Center and Interstate Identification Index, both run by the FBI).

Too bad the first one came into effect a month before I turn 21... :rolleyes:

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The problem with the TX permit is that you have to have the app notarized by a TX notary. So, while I'm a permanent resident of TX, this is a real pain in the @ss being stationed elsewhere. I'd prefer to have a TX permit, but I'll have to wait till I'm there next to do it.

metro

The future of the Supply Corps
I have mine here in Kentucky, and it's beautiful. 28 state reciprocity, very easy application/qualification process. Ours is just like a driver's license as well.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
TheBubba said:
I have a buddy that's a Norwich grad from Mass. He showed me the paperwork he had to fill out...

Why should he bother? Norwich and VMI guys hardly ever wear their rings anyways....... ;)

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Don't even get me started on Maryland.

No way to get one as a privcit unless you have corroborated and documented proof of threats on your life. Even then, not guaranteed.

r/
G

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For the record, WA state CCW is very easy to get. Pretty much a background check, fingerprinting and a fee. The law is written so that the authorities have to demonstrate a good reason NOT to issue the CCW. Recip in most western states except OR and CA (of course).

Brett

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett327 said:
For the record, WA state CCW is very easy to get. Pretty much a background check, fingerprinting and a fee. The law is written so that the authorities have to demonstrate a good reason NOT to issue the CCW. Recip in most western states except OR and CA (of course).

Brett

So it's a shall-issue state, right? I love them.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Schnuggapup said:
Don't even get me started on Maryland.

No way to get one as a privcit unless you have corroborated and documented proof of threats on your life. Even then, not guaranteed.

r/
G
Concur on that one...did the research and subsequently didn't bother.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
I just picked up my application today. So what your are saying is that I can just photocopy my military ID and that will count as my training for concealed carry?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
alabama_matt said:
I just picked up my application today. So what your are saying is that I can just photocopy my military ID and that will count as my training for concealed carry?

YES. THIS IS HOW I OBTAINED MY FLORIDA CCW. COPY FRONT AND BACK.