• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Gun Cocking In The Movies

RockyMtnNFO

None
Contributor
The one that sticks out in my mind is Stand By Me when Will Wheaton's character fires the .45 in the air then cocks it again to point at Ace (Keifer Sutherland). Great movie except for that.

arbor

I'm your huckleberry.
pilot
The only actor that consistently "does it right" is Tom Selleck. But then he uses a 1911/A1 ... :)

watch

or a friggin' JAVELIN :D

Zissou

Banned
I actually just saw SWAT on TV the other day and they got it right in that movie too. In the end, the dude is fighting someone in the train yard and the guy he's fighting pops the magazine out of his pistol. The guy with the pistol says "there's still one in the chamber"...but then proceeds to do the movie dipshit thing and drop the gun in favor of fighting the guy hand to hand. Just once I want to see someone in a movie use a gun to counter the crazy guy going Jimmy Jujitsu on him.

Jeremy Renner, the bad guy in SWAT, is a member of the NRA. He takes combat pistol and rifle training as a hobby.

FlyinRock

my favorite mistake is the idea that removing the magazine, means the weapon is empty. The only movie I saw this rectified in was, get this... a shitty Steven Segal flick where he makes sure to eject the chambered round...

While I think Segal lost his way with the movies and they are not worth watching anymore, you can't take it away from the man that he is indeed a 6thDan Aikido, and a VERY accomplished pistolero. What needs to be done on the movies is quite different than what is real life just for graphic effect. Personal experience with that end as a tech consultant and they disregard what is real for what "looks better...".
I've not shot with Segal but know the 'smith who builds his guns who told me of how Segal picks the guns. Another who made some blades for Segal and said the same thing. The guy is a genuine warrior if you get past the bullshit.
Rocky NiDan Aikido - Distinguished Pistol USMC

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.... The guy is a genuine warrior if you get past the bullshit.....
I have all the respect in the world for your opinion -- but you've got to be kidding re: Segal = "warrior" ???

Where was he and what did he do when his number came up during the Vietnam dust-up ... ???

FlyinRock

Yeah I know...he was in Japan learning aikido then while many were headed for Canada and other places to avoid the Nam. But, I truely don't think that was his intent. He has done military instruction with specops groups and, to my personal dismay, seems to have taken on some of their aura. Mixed emotions on him. He is well qualified, well trained, very capable. Different time/different place? Like I said, mixed emotions.
I did my stint late Korea in 53 and got out pre-Nam. Does that make me a shirker? Not if you consider what I did in the meantime. And if I tell you I'll have to kill you...... barfff barfff OooRahhhh
Segal is the kind of guy I want to train me for up close and personal just as I can think of others that I care to train with for specific missions. Not that I care to accept any of the calls I get to go on "just one more..."
Been there and done that complete with the bloody T shirts.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Tactically sound.
I don't think the court would look too well on that last shot . . . although you would have to worry about the whole "assassin" thing, too. :icon_tong

Lights Out

Saw Hellboy II tonight and in every close up scene w/ the chick and her gun, the trigger on her glock has already been pulled

-1 for hollywood

GroundPounder

It's not just the movies, it happens in real life all the time. The movies serve as junior thug training sessions, and it is very common to find one live round on the ground at a crime scene where the suspect has racked the slide prior to firing.

What amazes me is that on most movies they have paid someone a pretty good bit of coin to tell them what is correct. They either don't pay attention to the advisor or picked the wrong one.