• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Guitarists?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Given the right EQ settings it can work. It sure sounded good in concert and on "Dookie"

Whatever floats your boat there, Maestro. To quote a famous DLR video, "Not in my store you don't!"

Brett

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Only got one, been playing off and on since HS, maybe 6 years chronologically, but severely out of practice. Never took any lessons; just had a buddy teach me the frets and a few chords and went from there. So I can't pick worth a crap. Only have the one Alvarez acoustic I inherited from my uncle.

I played in a band in college with a few other mids and their buddies. We had a hard time getting practice schedules straight but played a couple gigs on campus. I'm a drummer by trade (played since before 5th grade) so I kind of got stuck as the utility infielder on drums, bass or rhythm guitar depending on who showed up. Now that I have my own place I plan on buying a new drum kit and getting back into music.

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
Well, I play electric bass right now. Just have a squire ( the starter one). I've been playing on that for about two years and I'm looking to upgrade. I've also been debating purchasing a cheap acoustic and teaching myself to play guitar. How long did it take ya'll to pick up the basics?

By the way, for once, good topic joboy.

joboy_2.0

professional undergraduate
Contributor
Well, I play electric bass right now. Just have a squire ( the starter one). I've been playing on that for about two years and I'm looking to upgrade. I've also been debating purchasing a cheap acoustic and teaching myself to play guitar. How long did it take ya'll to pick up the basics?

By the way, for once, good topic joboy.

Took about a month to be able to barely play power chords. Three months I was playing simple green day songs mostly correctly through. After about a year I could play simple power chord, bar chord and open note chord songs pretty well. Singing and playing is probably the next hardest thing to do after the basics. All in all, 3 months to get the basics, about 8 months for people to stop laughing at you when you play, and 1 year to be able to play songs through, sing and be a relatively competent amateur. At least this is how it worked for me. The hardest part is really getting your fingers to do what you want them to do, and to do two different things concurrently. after that, it gets easy. Then you move on to solo and lead work, and it's the same old problem again manifested differently.:(

ya... once in a while, I'll do something right:D

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Bar chords suck. I usually cheat and mute the lower strings so my index finger only has to hit one string instead of 6. Hard to hit some chords too with small hands.

joboy_2.0

Contributor
Bar chords suck. I usually cheat and mute the lower strings so my index finger only has to hit one string instead of 6. Hard to hit some chords too with small hands.

It's true. It seems like such a simple thing, since it is just a fully barred power chord, but the transition to bar chords from power chords is no small feat, especially with small hands. The bar chord, however, is the cornerstone to playing guitar. It's so versatile.

JIMMY

Been playin 9 years. I have a 1970's Fender Strat, a cheap acoustic, and a Fender Jazz deluxe bass.

-jP

badger16

None
Gibson SG standard....Red. what every one should play if they are in a rock band(Angus young played it...need i say more). I've been in bands on and off since high school so about 6-7years....semi serious...I always ended up singing in bands so never played guitar. Now I really like to play harmonica, so my guitar playing comes and goes in waves.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Gibson SG standard....Red. what every one should play if they are in a rock band(Angus young played it...need i say more). I've been in bands on and off since high school so about 6-7years....semi serious...I always ended up singing in bands so never played guitar. Now I really like to play harmonica, so my guitar playing comes and goes in waves.

FWIW, I'm not a fan of Gibson or Fender guitars, although Fender's basses are great.

Brett

badger16

None
FWIW, I'm not a fan of Gibson or Fender guitars, although Fender's basses are great.

Brett

yeah its all personal preference... I was brought up on SG by my brothers so I love them, but I do agree fender Basses are awesome...I love the Jazz bass. one thing one can not deny liking is a PRS,The guitar player in my last band had a PRS...now that is not a guitar that is a piece of ART...most beautiful think i've ever seen/heard. He had a mesa boogie half stack just blew everyone out of the water it sounded so good!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
yeah its all personal preference... I was brought up on SG by my brothers so I love them, but I do agree fender Basses are awesome...I love the Jazz bass. one thing one can not deny liking is a PRS,The guitar player in my last band had a PRS...now that is not a guitar that is a piece of ART...most beautiful think i've ever seen/heard. He had a mesa boogie half stack just blew everyone out of the water it sounded so good!

You want a cool looking guitar, check out my JEM. It's covered in fabric then lacquered.

Brett

Attachments

• JEM77FP.bmp
    254.3 KB · Views: 52

tiger84

LT
pilot
You want a cool looking guitar, check out my JEM. It's covered in fabric then lacquered.

Brett

I think I've seen one like that in person. It's definitely pretty cool. If I had to pick just one guitar though, it would have to be a PRS Hollowbody II. There's just something about that guitar that has always caught my eye.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think I've seen one like that in person. It's definitely pretty cool. If I had to pick just one guitar though, it would have to be a PRS Hollowbody II. There's just something about that guitar that has always caught my eye.

I've played a few PRS and they're nice guitars, but I think their price has gotten out of control since becoming the de facto standard for rockers these days. They're nice, but they're not that nice. I think my next purchase, however, is going to be one of the JSX heads that Peavey put out for Satch.

Brett

joboy_2.0

Contributor

actually what angus young played was more like the older versions (aka...similar to my '61 reissue) :icon_tong

As for gibson, I've ALWAYS wanted a LP, SG or LP jr. I am a HUGE fan. Everything about the guitar looks and sounds beautiful. The 57 pickups are great! I just can't WAIT until I can afford to get an old LP jr. If I can't afford that, I'll probably get the new LP jr. billie joe signature (ya, brett, stop laughing)