• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Guidance on possible required waivers...

Devildawgtiger

feddoc: Thank you for the service you are providing here. I am a former Marine Officer who is trying to join the National Guard. I have several fairly minor issues that may require a waiver. I was hoping for your thoughts/guidance.

1. Minor neck back pain approximately 5 years ago. Some mild
degenerative disc disease and minimal spondylosis. Asymptomatic since that time;
2. 20% VA rating for plantar fasciitis. Essentially asymptomatic for last 6 years. No longer wear orthotics;
3. Opthalmic/occular headaches 4 years ago. No treatment and no work missed;
4. PRK at Naval Hospital Camp Lejeune 9 years ago. No issues;
5. Resolved insomnia. Treated by Elavil/amitriptylene (off-label use). Taken off of medication by doctor 19 months ago after resolution of insomnia. No history of mental illness;
6. Bursitis in hip in 2005. Resolved;
7. Baker’s cyst in knees in 2006. Resolved shortly thereafter;
Treated with steroids and exercises;
8. Golfer’s elbow (bilateral). Resolved in early 2011 from steroid injections and PT;
9. Two hernia repairs (1977 and 1996). Both predate my previous military service;
10. Idiopathic Thrombocytopenia (1977). Predates previous service. Acute in nature. No recurrence in last 36 years.

11. Right Varicocele. Asymptomatic. Predated previous service. Also seen in 2007 on one occasion.

I know there is a lot there. I’m not sure what needs a waiver and what doesn’t. Is there a limit on the number of waivers that can be issued by the NGB (if you know)?

Thanks again for the service you are providing.

Devildawgtiger

To anyone following my thread, here is an update. I was DQ'd on the medical prescreen for items 2, 10, and 11. However, from speaking to my state Deputy Surgeon General, it appears that waivers may likely be granted.

2. Plantar Fasciitis: I had a podiatry consult last week. He indicated I was stable and had no limitations. The doctor is a former Army podiatrist, so I am hoping this will carry some weight with the waiver authority;
10. ITP: I collected all past records of blood work and had new blood work done. This condition is essentially a low platelet count. As stated above, it was acute in nature and has not presented itself in 36 years. It predates my previous service and I've been told won't be an issue with the waiver authority; and
11. Right varicocele: My urology consult determined that I don't have a right varicocele. My previous diagnosis was subjective and apparently a bad call by the radiologist who read the ultrasound. I do have a left varicocele, but it will not require surgical correction and should be waiverable.

I'm meeting with the state Deputy Surgeon General the week of the 14th. Fingers crossed.

Devildawgtiger

Thanks for the encouraging words, feddoc. I actually gave up golf 20 years ago to take up skydiving. The medial epicondylitis is from motivated Marine Corps pull ups. :)