• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Grrrrrrr Body Fat!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DairyCreamer

Well, check this out.

I talk to my recruiter today, as it appears my given specs of 70" and 195 lbs (may be closer to 198 after Spring Break) is a little heavy for the Navy without doing a body fat measurement.

Well, I get my body fat measured by a corpsman today, and lo and behold, I end up with 24% body fat according to their chart, where the max allowable is 22%.

I'm giving myself 2 weeks to either get myself below 191 lbs, or lose an inch off my belly (both of which would put me below the 22% BF on the chart).

I'm going to conciously eat less for a while here, but I've been stable and fit here at about 195 lbs for a long while. Anyone have some friendly suggestions for how I can quickly drop some weight and/or get my gut sucked in? I probably already know what I need to do, but I'd like some advice anyway :) Thanks!

~Nate

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
2 weeks is not a lot of time.

However, instead of just dieting, do some cardio, and hit the weight room. People often over look the value of adding muscle mass to keep the weight off. Ever notice how people complain about dropping 10 pounds and gaining it all back by dieting? Dieting is the lazy way out.

Also, consciously try to get 5 servings of fruits and veggies a day.

lotsoquestions

as a four year football letterman in college, I know a couple of tricks to either put on weight or drop it, and while two weeks is not a lot of time, you should be able to do it. First of all, cut carbs! I know it sounds like I'm jumping on the band wagon, but its true. Also, jump up your protein intake, protein helps build muscle and helps your metabolism.

Second, as thisguy said, do both cardio and some lifting, about 5-6 days a week of both. Cardio will help burn calories and fat, and lifting will build muscle, which helps speed up your metabolism and thus helps you continue to burn more calories and fat. Also drink a lot of water, eat fruits and veggies, and also cut out the alcohol for the two weeks. Alcohol is a prime source of calories and carbs that you don't really think about when you calculate your daily intake of calories.

If you're still having trouble, try a "fat burner" like ripped fule, etc. I don't use them, but a lot of my teammates have used them to drop some quick pounds to get cut before breaks, etc.

Hope this helps, let us know how it turns out.

-T

Pridgen

ok, now I am no wrestler, never will be (don't like the uniforms, and the touching) but from the ones that I knew, they could cut weight faster than any group of people I ever knew. Most of the time when they had practice, the would do all of the same training, but like in double sweats. This may not be a good thing cause I guess you could get overheated and pass out (but i'm not a doc, so who knows) but I know they sweat like crazy and all of that cardio helps to burn off a lot, I know that much ... Anybody want to back me up (or discount everything I have said and update my lack of health knowledge) ...

jburnes

i think that the only thing wrestlers are doing is losing water weight...because some of my friends in high school would lose a pound or two in like 30 minutes after running with trash bags on....not a good long-term weight loss idea

I would mostly concur with jburnes. I used to wrestle and there were two very distinct types of weight loss we did. First was the slow steady weight loss. I would say about 1 or 2 lbs per week was the max any of us could achieve. This involves actually losing fat (or muscle possibly). Second was short-term fast weight loss. This was entirely water weight. The results are remarkable, but very short lived. I lost 16 lbs in 30 hours once. I am not suggesting this, however. Dehydration is not very good for you, and it definately isn't comfortable. If you are talking about 5 or 10 lbs it is not a big deal, you just drink water and gain the weight back when you are done.

If I might suggest another solution, why don't you work on getting in shape for real. This means a whole lot more for your health than a few pounds of weight loss.

mbeaser

Keep in mind that you will be dealing with these weight/body fat standards for the rest of your Naval Career. So, you're probably going to have to look for some long term weight loss. My hubby and I both did the South Beach diet back in September. It is somewhat like Atkins in that it is low carb, but it differentiates between good and bad carbs, and good and bad fats. I went from 142, which is pushing my weight standards (I'm a whopping 5'1", but that was weight from having babies) to 125 and I've kept it off. The hub went from 282 to 259 (he's 6'3" and went through a pretty severe depression period that he's recovering from now). We each lost about 8lb in the first 2 weeks of the diet with no ill effect (despite all the eggs my cholesterol is still better than it was 6 months ago). The idea behind South Beach is actually a lifestyle change but I've kind of fallen off the wagon. I do plan to go back, though, because I really felt good while I was on the diet.

Kycntryboy

pilot
I had a simular problem, with wieght I was 16 pounds over the max (208) for my height (6'1), I had a good bf at. The quick solution is to do situps, for all sides. Then do neck exercises to get your neck thicker.

JKD

I agree with Thisguy that you will need to incorperate exercise and weights, but I disagree that "dieting is the lazy way out." (no offense intended)

Typically dieting (combined with exercise) is how you drop weight. You need to keep up the exercise and modify your long term diet to keep the weight off.

I've done the Quick Trim program, formerly marketing my Cybergenics (GNC Product I think). The basics of the 2 week program is, eat a gram of protein for every pound of your desired weight. Eat 1/4 that many grams of carbs (veggies only - no breads, pasta, or complex carbs). Eat as little fat as possible. Split the food into a minimum of 4 meals a day.
Other important things to do:
Drink A LOT of water (the program actually has you drink a lot the first week, then cut it down to 1 cup with each meal the second week - plus limit salt to reduce water retention. This is really for bodybuilders going for the ripped look - I've never followed that part)
Take a multi-vitamin

Say you wanted to get down to 180. You eat 180 grams of protein, 45 grams of carbs. There are some variations to the program where you can have 60g carbs on the 3rd and 5th day, but for the most part it is 45g.

As always, consult a physician before starting any diet or exercise program :)

good luck.

binary_choice

Final Select SNA
I have a bit of a different take on losing weight... I would NOT do much if any weight lifting... I would go straight for the cardio... for cardio you need to get your heart rate up above your target HR (which you can calculate)... you need to keep your HR up above that for at least 15 minutes before you really start working (non-stop)... If you are into running do that, but you shouldn't start running a lot if you haven't been doing it... you have to ease into it. Ride a stationary bike or another machine like that. Stay away from alcohol and fatty foods... no pizza, etc... AT ALL. I woulnd't worry about the carbs thing... that atkins diet is BS... your body's main source of energy is found in carbohydrates... like breads and rice. I would not go for an increase in protein either... You only want protein when you are trying to gain muscle mass and add weight.
In the long run... diets don't work... end of story... you have to continuously exercise and eat right... it may be difficult at first, but once you make it a habit it doesn't feel right not to do it... Good luck!

DairyCreamer

I appreciate all the suggestions so far... I guess I should have stated my current workout routine.

I've been doing distance running since mid January. I also do Kung Fu a few times a week (since Oct. last yeat). Last night I just ran for 25 minutes straight... didn't count distance at all, just ran. I'm getting myself in shape goal-wise to run the Bolder Boulder (10k) on Memorial Day.

Let's just say that I was kind of surprised at the measurements. My own family has said it appears I'm a lot thinner. My weight has stayed pretty constant, but I figure this is from simultaneous fat-loss and muscle gain.

The two weeks thing is a hopeful goal, because I don't want my application package to be on hold for too long. Basically, it's not moving until my recruiter can tell them I'm either 1.) Below 191 lbs, or 2.) Below 22% BF.

Ok, so... there's a little more on what I'm doing now exercise-wise. I don't think I'm being a lazy bum, but I don't think there's much more exercise I can squeeze in to my schedule right now. Maybe a temporary modification in the exercises I'm doing?

Thanks again guys, talk to you soon.

~Nate

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
JKD said:
but I disagree that "dieting is the lazy way out." (no offense intended)

None taken. Let me clarify. I meant that dieting without excercising was the lazy way out.

Status
Not open for further replies.