• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ground to Air

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoorah26

livin' the dream
pilot
I was wondering how hard it is to change from a ground contract to air an air contract while in TBS?

jbelsha53

USMC NFO
None
Pretty difficult. Aviation contract applicants will be noted early on in the POI; there's a long process they have to go through to apply (flight physical, paperwork, etc etc). At the end, only a few are picked for the available SNA/SNFO slots. I don't know how many SNAs were selected (a few, I know), but there were four extra NFOs added throughout the POI in Delta Company.

So give it a shot, good luck, but know it's not that easy to get.

reapergm

Not so difficult anymore. They had an announcement at the end of class the other day. The XO of B Co asked who wanted to trade their ground contract in for a flight contract. Now they just have to qualify. I guess they really need pilots. I dont know how it will be for future companies though.

handjive

Blue speedo... check!
pilot
Yeah, what reaper said.

In my class everyone who qualified got one of the pilot or NFO slots. There always seems to be a few slots out there and you have to figure that most guys that want aviation already have a contract. So if you meet all the qualifications and can actually get your flight physical and other requirements done, you should have a pretty good chance.

FYI: A good friend of mine dropped his flight contract right before we got to TBS (ooh-rah infantry and all) and then wound up selecting it again for MOS selection.

esday1

He'll dazzle you with terms like "Code Red."
Sort of tangential but related question here...

How easy is it to transfer from a law contract to an unrestricted ground contract while at TBS? Does anyone here know anybody who's done this?

Now cue sound of fiancee's head exploding... "you're thinking about doing WHAT?"

handjive

Blue speedo... check!
pilot
I've never heard of that before! I guess the infantry brainwashing has gotten to you :)

I kind of doubt they would let you do that, because didn't the Marine Corps just spend a bunch of money to put you through law school? Unlike aviation, I don't think you can DOR from the law program...

I really have no idea though, I'm just guessing at this point.

Broadsword2004

I am just guessing here too, but I suppose you could drop the law contract, just the Marines would really dislike that since they wasted a bunch on law school (if you went through law school before TBS.....I say that because I have no idea how the law contract works), and thus they'd put you into a MOS nobody wants. Also, if you want infantry, this is just as far as I know, but my OSO had told me that there will be no ground slots for the rest of the year right now, which likely means infantry slots are probably hard to get; meaning if you drop and the Marines DID waste money on you, then you probably won't get that MOS (from what I have read about how the Marine Corps functions in that regard).

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
Broadsword2004 said:
I am just guessing here too, but I suppose you could drop the law contract, just the Marines would really dislike that since they wasted a bunch on law school (if you went through law school before TBS.....I say that because I have no idea how the law contract works), and thus they'd put you into a MOS nobody wants. Also, if you want infantry, this is just as far as I know, but my OSO had told me that there will be no ground slots for the rest of the year right now, which likely means infantry slots are probably hard to get; meaning if you drop and the Marines DID waste money on you, then you probably won't get that MOS (from what I have read about how the Marine Corps functions in that regard).
[in a dry, low, yet serious tone] do you have nothing better to do than reply to every topic here at Airwarriors that you know nothing about?

Taxman2A

War were declared.
handjive said:
I kind of doubt they would let you do that, because didn't the Marine Corps just spend a bunch of money to put you through law school?

No, the PLC-Law contract basically works like this.
You pass OCS, You get accepted to Law School, the Corps lets you take a few years before going on active duty.
Now, you ARE getting commissioned as soon as you graduate from Undergrad.. and thus earning time in grade, however, you don't see a dime until you show up at TBS.

Taxman2A

War were declared.
esday1 said:

How easy is it to transfer from a law contract to an unrestricted ground contract while at TBS? Does anyone here know anybody who's done this?

Now cue sound of fiancee's head exploding... "you're thinking about doing WHAT?"

It happened once in my company... well a little differently... We had a Lawyer Lt decide that he didn't want to be a Marine after all, and he resigned his commission. I guess that's really nothing like what you are talking about.

How's this for an answer- don't do it! One of the great pitches of the Marine Law contract is instant trial experience, which equates to a quick turnaround in the civilian job market. (I know you already realize this)

You will be a 1st Lt by the time you make it through Law School (almost a Captain), and if you decide to become a grunt you will have lost MOS credibility, since you will barely make it to the fleet as a Lt. Sure, you can do it, but it's not a great "Career Move". If you want to be a grunt, it looks the best for you to hit the fleet as a 2nd Lt, have a platoon, maybe an XO billet, then roll into a B Billet by the time you are talking about hitting the fleet.

Now, if you wanted to to get out in 4 years (if you are not so worried about making Major or LtCol) then I guess it wouldn't be much of a problem, but then where are you? A lawyer 4 years removed from school who knows a whole lot about the best way to employ machine guns. Thanks for serving your country! Here's the classified section.

You won't want to anyways, grunts don't use the word "tangential".

Ann Merke

not going for law

esday1 said:

I know a lieutenant who is at TBS right now. She's under a law contract, but she didn't necessarily care to go as so. Her OSO/our OSO told her that she might as well go in as Law since that is what she studied at UW and she could always switch it later to ground, ground being the area she was more interested in. He made it sound like an effortless thing- who knows if that's true or not, but clearly it is something that happens, and is doable. I'd rather be ground than Law, personally. :D

handjive

Blue speedo... check!
pilot
Taxman makes a very important point though. Although it depends on the MOS, jumping into the fleet as a Captain can be very complicated and will probably wind up screwing you in the long run.

Ann Merke

Taxman2A said:
It happened once in my company... well a little differently... We had a Lawyer Lt decide that he didn't want to be a Marine after all, and he resigned his commission. I guess that's really nothing like what you are talking about.

How's this for an answer- don't do it! One of the great pitches of the Marine Law contract is instant trial experience, which equates to a quick turnaround in the civilian job market. (I know you already realize this)

You will be a 1st Lt by the time you make it through Law School (almost a Captain), and if you decide to become a grunt you will have lost MOS credibility, since you will barely make it to the fleet as a Lt. Sure, you can do it, but it's not a great "Career Move". If you want to be a grunt, it looks the best for you to hit the fleet as a 2nd Lt, have a platoon, maybe an XO billet, then roll into a B Billet by the time you are talking about hitting the fleet.

Now, if you wanted to to get out in 4 years (if you are not so worried about making Major or LtCol) then I guess it wouldn't be much of a problem, but then where are you? A lawyer 4 years removed from school who knows a whole lot about the best way to employ machine guns. Thanks for serving your country! Here's the classified section.

You won't want to anyways, grunts don't use the word "tangential".

I think Taxman makes a very important point in the last sentence. Very important.

Status
Not open for further replies.