• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Greetings to you all, just a few questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thor44

Greetings to you all,
I have been looking around this site and I must say that it is top notch!
I am a senior at Erskine College, a well respected private liberal arts college in South Carolina. I will be graduating May 18 and am hoping to get into Navy/Marine pilot school after the military rolls into a new fiscal year (I believe the date is in October).
Here are my questions,

First, I am a history major with a GPA of 3.3. Will the fact that I am a history major greatly impede my attempts to get a seat in flight school? I have played four years of NCAA Division 2 Basketball, earning a scholarship my junior year. I am the Vice President of the History Honor Society and am an elected member of the college Judicial board and the Student Christian Association. I have gotten some mixed messages that my history degree will really set me back and make it next to impossible to get in. Is this true?

Second, Over the summer I will be getting my private pilot’s license as well as studying my tail off for the written exams. As I said above I am a history major but that does not mean that I am a flub at math. I have an decent time grasping mathematical concepts etc.(I enjoy astronomy, chemistry etc.) I have a good idea of the mechanics of flight (simulators, MS’s for one) and I really and truly love flying. I love to work/play with computers and so I do not think the electronic aspect of flight will present any insurmountable walls. I know that this is all rather vague but I am wondering what some of you think of my chances, generally speaking of course.

Third, I assume that I will need some good reference letters, is this true? Also, one of my professors, who was a Colonel in the Air Force has already said that he would right me one. I am also friends with a retired Army Brig. General. Now I realize that neither of these men are Navy or Marine, does this mean that whoever looks at my letters will automatically discount them?

I apologize for such a lengthy post. I thank you all in advance for any help you can provide. Please feel free to add any choice nuggets of wisdom that you feel compelled to share. Farewell!

Live Pure,
Right Wrong,
Speak True,
Follow the King,
Else Wherefore Born?

absolutVU

I'm an English major and I got accepted for pilot and you sound like you do way more stuff than me so I wouldn't worry too much!! I think going OCS you still would have to do the IFS program--is that right?? So, I would let the Navy pay for the first 25 hours of your private pilot's license and then get the rest on your own!

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
Kick ass on the ASTB test. That will answer most questions about your academic abilities.

dufault.2

Got some good news for you. I graduated in December with a degree in History from Ohio State and I am going to Navy OCS in August as a SNA. From the way my recruiter made it sound, your ASTB score is a huge factor. I did well enough on it to where he said not to worry about my History major or my so-so GPA (3.0). As you know, you can always trust every word your recruiter tells you (ha!). Airgreg is right-do well on the ASTB and you should be all right. I can track down the study book I used if you want a good one to use in preparaion. GOOD LUCK!!

GO BUCKS!!

thor44

Thanks for the quick responses! Looks like I will allow myself to hope a little bit. dufault.2, If you can tell me what you used to study that would be great! I plan to use as much of my graduation money as is needed for study books etc. and my student loan for my pilots license. Keep the great info rolling in!

Live Pure,
Right Wrong,
Speak True,
Follow the King,
Else Wherefore Born?

ghost_ttu

thor44 do a search on this forum for ASTB, and for Marine study guide. Read as much as you can on this forum that has to do with the ASTB, it will help you a great deal. Should only take you a couple weeks at most to study for the ASTB if you have that guide. Best of luck!

Eliminate distractions, focus on your goals and visualize what you hope to accomplish.

dufault.2

thor44-I can tell you that I used the Gleim's Pilot Handbook (ISBN 0917539834) to study up on aerodynamics, aircraft components, etc. I also used a study guide by Learning Express called Military Flight Aptitude Tests to study for the other portions of the test. I know ARCO has a study guide out there as well, but I distinctly remember the spacial apperception portion of the guide having a bad answer key. I'm not even in OCS yet, so other guys who are already aviators might be able to help more. These are the books that worked for me in spite of my history major. Let me know how it goes when you take that bad boy.

GO BUCKS!!

frogggystyle

Your degree is irrelevant, although I notice electrical and mechanical engineer degree holders tend to do better on certain course subjects like Engines. I have a psychology degree and it does not apply to anything I do in the aviation community. The most important thing is being able to learn vast amounts of information, retain it, and regurgitate it at the drop of hat. You'll know what I mean when you get to Primary and has to spout off 14-step Emergency Procedures. If you have good study habits and a good memory then you'll more than likely excel, regardless of your college background.

"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his." - General George Patton (1885-1945)

Status
Not open for further replies.