• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Graduate school and my career...

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
With the exception of some technical programs, the Navy does not care what your degree is in. At all. Ever.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
A few short points from the TPS perspective:

PM me if you want a better explanation, but while the Navy might sell you on the idea right now, you will be fighting an uphill battle with timing for the rest of your JO career. Statistically, you will probably not screen for operational DH, much less CO/XO. TPS will probably not be an option if you do a masters post commissioning and go VFA/VAQ pilot (based on significantly longer time to train than any other community out there).

That's not entirely true, TPS frequently takes guys with masters' degrees, including Hornet guys- it helps make a candidate competitive, since academics are a significant portion of what's reviewed by the board. The above is somewhat true in that you will have to fight somewhat of a timing battle though, and a 1 year program is infinitely better than a 2 year program in that regard. However, the exact effects on O4/DH/etc are nearly impossible to predict 8-10 years before the fact. Of note, almost every VFA O4 eligible for

I have yet to see a VFA skipper come through the Airwing Fallon syllabus with a TPS patch on the shoulder. A few with FRS history, mainly SFTI/TOPGUN patch. That shouldn't influence your choice, but it is what I have seen (or not seen).

There are few COs with TPS patches in the fleet, leading to the perception that TPS grads are "grade B" material when it comes to CO selection. However, two things affect that: 1, the size of the applicant pool compared to FRS/SFTI (as IKE stated), and the fact that TPS grads have additional career paths open to them, such as AEDO and non-operational command tours (i.e. command of one of the test squadrons.) So a thinner field of eligible officers is stretched over more potential paths, leading to dilution of the TPS patches in fleet commands.

With the exception of some technical programs, the Navy does not care what your degree is in. At all. Ever.

I would think long and hard about whether you want to go to flight school now, and what the possibility is of going later if you delay. It really comes down to how much you want to go to academic school vs. flight school, and we can't answer that for you. I wouldn't worry so much about O4, DH, and especially not about CO right now. Just know that grad school will have effects on your timing, but not necessarily insurmountable ones. Then, focus on kicking ass in whatever school you choose, and becoming a kick ass JO, possibly the greatest job ever.

Good luck!

Last edited:

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
We interrupt this thread for a small statistical aside...

If you don't know many TPS grad skippers, it could be because they don't select well for CO, OR it could be (and more likely is) because the pool of TPS grads is significantly smaller than the pool of FRS,WS,NSAWC folks.

you bet……wasn't trying to insinuate that they aren't competitive……surely they are. I do think that based on their career path, and additional options, you see a lot more diversity at the O-5 level than simply operational CO, which truth be told, isn't everyone's bag.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
A few short points from the TPS perspective:

That's not entirely true, TPS frequently takes guys with masters' degrees, including Hornet guys- it helps make a candidate competitive, since academics are a significant portion of what's reviewed by the board. The above is somewhat true in that you will have to fight somewhat of a timing battle though, and a 1 year program is infinitely better than a 2 year program in that regard. However, the exact effects on O4/DH/etc are nearly impossible to predict 8-10 years before the fact. Of note, almost every VFA O4 eligible for

There are few COs with TPS patches in the fleet, leading to the perception that TPS grads are "grade B" material when it comes to CO selection. However, two things affect that: 1, the size of the applicant pool compared to FRS/SFTI (as IKE stated), and the fact that TPS grads have additional career paths open to them, such as AEDO and non-operational command tours (i.e. command of one of the test squadrons.) So a thinner field of eligible officers is stretched over more potential paths, leading to dilution of the TPS patches in fleet commands.

On paragraph one (since you typed faster than me :) ), I was only talking to the "did masters as a new ENS, went VFA, and now have a career timing problem". We both know the person I am thinking of, and timing aside, IMO they would make a great CAG/Admiral one day if the Navy lets them. But the time spent in grad school killed the TPS dream, and threw a wrench into the O-4 board.

Paragraph two, completely in agreement. I'd bet #2 is the bigger factor when compared to #1. If the grass is greener, I'd go there.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
On paragraph one (since you typed faster than me :) ), I was only talking to the "did masters as a new ENS, went VFA, and now have a career timing problem". We both know the person I am thinking of, and timing aside, IMO they would make a great CAG/Admiral one day if the Navy lets them. But the time spent in grad school killed the TPS dream, and threw a wrench into the O-4 board.

Paragraph two, completely in agreement. I'd bet #2 is the bigger factor when compared to #1. If the grass is greener, I'd go there.

Yes, I definitely see where you're coming from with that individual and very unfortunate situation. However, there were some rules in play there which can and do change over time with the needs of the Navy. I still think he was getting a bum steer from the Navy. It happens. Either way, what's true now won't be in 8-10 years. Those rule changes were the only reason I was personally able to go to TPS- at one point, the Navy had basically told me "no chance, paddles".

LetsFly

Thanks for all the replies and input.

I think that ultimately I'm a bit burned out academically and ready to get to the Fleet and do JO stuff... I just wanted to see if I was going to be missing out on any big career opportunities by not going to grad school.

Pags

N/A
pilot
you bet……wasn't trying to insinuate that they aren't competitive……surely they are. I do think that based on their career path, and additional options, you see a lot more diversity at the O-5 level than simply operational CO, which truth be told, isn't everyone's bag.
For more data there are LOTS of people wearing TPS patches and stars, birds, and oak leaves at NAVAIR locations like Pax, the Lake, and Mugu and others like COTF.

PhrogLoop

Adulting is hard
pilot
...missing out on any big career opportunities by not going to grad school.
If you earned great grades at USNA and think you are a viable candidate for MIT/Stanford, then you will still be a viable candidate for MIT/Stanford after serving in the Navy for a few years. By then, you might have a better idea if you want to stay in the cockpit on a trajectory for DH/CO or get that top-tier masters degree come what may. Now or later, my best advice to you is to stick with your top-tier masters ambitions.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
One of my peers from the fleet just went to Harvard Business School for a year after his joint job, and before his XO/CO tour.

LetsFly

If you earned great grades at USNA and think you are a viable candidate for MIT/Stanford, then you will still be a viable candidate for MIT/Stanford after serving in the Navy for a few years. By then, you might have a better idea if you want to stay in the cockpit on a trajectory for DH/CO or get that top-tier masters degree come what may. Now or later, my best advice to you is to stick with your top-tier masters ambitions.

Thanks! This is getting a bit off topic, but from your experience do you think that undergrad success gets less relevant as you get older/more job experience when it comes to applying for a master's?

yoyotanker

pilot
I wouldn't say undergrad success becomes less relevant, however non-success can as you gain experience. I still had to dig up my college transcripts when I applied for grad school and when I met with the program director he asked what my undergrad degree was and my gpa and my current job. I told him, and he basically said if I meet the minimum GMAT I'm in. Your undergrad success is a marker to those who don't know you that you were able to hack it before, so you should be at least the same, and most likely better now.

PhrogLoop

Adulting is hard
pilot
...from your experience do you think that undergrad success gets less relevant as you get older/more job experience when it comes to applying for a master's?
I can speak from my experience getting into and graduating from a top-tier grad school. Undergrad success stays with you and puts you on par with other highly qualified applicants. Work experience, quality recommendations, and a kick ass interview set you apart from other highly qualified applicants. Military applicants (with experience) are doing well in legit graduate programs and the schools appreciate the paid tuition thanks to the Post 9-11 GI Bill. So for certain schools, having years of military experience on top of the academic credentials tips the odds in your favor for admission.

Able Dog

One of my peers from the fleet just went to Harvard Business School for a year after his joint job, and before his XO/CO tour.
But, our young poster should not be influenced by this kind of an example. This was all about timing, this person was being groomed and instead of being offered a stash job at the Wing for a year, like some VP XO/CO's, he was rewarded by a trip to Harvard.

To the OP, there is a certain order to the way the Navy does business. It used to be that if you accepted a commission you were guaranteed two things, (1) a 20 year career and (2) promotion the O-4. In my 30+ years in Naval Aviation, on both sides of the fence, I never met a good Officer who spent all his time worrying about his career and some of them actually made it to retirement.:D