• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

grad student with flight age/medical questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

funk_munch

I'm currently a grad school student at the University of Michigan. I have 3 bachelor's degrees in engineering and am going for a master's in electrical engineering right now. I'm 25 right now but I won't be done until I'm 26. I'm seriously thinking about becoming a marine/naval aviatior. Can somebody please tell me if whether or not I can get a slot at flight school (either service) if I'm commisioned after I'm 26? Also, I've heard something about dental work requirements for the flight school physical. I have 3 crowns and numerous filings - do I have a chance?

any help would be greatly appreciated...

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
You need to get out of school. 3 BA's and working on an MA. Talk about over achiever syndrom. Age should not be a problem nor your dental concerns. You need to start the application process now. It takes a while to complete. You can read throughout this forum on the process of applying and getting helpful info on the ASTB test. Flight slots are hard to come by so do your best on the ASTB. Your college will be a big help if you have a good GPA. Anyway, good luck and Fly Navy.

Dave

hey funk, I'm going to be a freshman in college next year and I would like to go for an engineering degree. I was thinking about either Biomed or Civil because aero/mech frightens me. Any advice? Also, if I stay on top of things, about how many hours of studying can I expect?

Thanks

funk_munch

American_Ace said:
hey funk, I'm going to be a freshman in college next year and I would like to go for an engineering degree. I was thinking about either Biomed or Civil because aero/mech frightens me. Any advice? Also, if I stay on top of things, about how many hours of studying can I expect?

Thanks

I have degrees in electrical eng., computer eng. and eng. math. I started out as a mechanical engineer but switched up after my first summer. For most of the engineering disciplines, the first year to 2 years is basically going to be "core" classes that are just about the same for everything. Try and get all your math classes out of the way first - you can't take a lot of the upper level clasees without the math classes... Also, try and save some of your electives for your junior and senior years when you have the harder design classes - the electives can be "blow off " classes if you choose wisely. As for the whole "what should you do" thing - do what interests you. Just about every discipline tries to weed people out in the first couple of years, but if you stick with it you can accomplish anything. I know people that have failed pre-calc 3 times who went on to get advanced engineering degrees. Most of the professors advise 2-3 hours of studying for every hour in the class. Some people need more, some need less. Just stay focused and you'll be fine...

Andy (ahutson@engin.umd.umich.edu)

Status
Not open for further replies.