• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Grad School while in the squadron

elcubanmissile

I'd coming up on my first squadron tour in a couple of months and I'd like to get my mba online, paying for it with the Navy's tuition assistance program which require's CO's approval. I understand that it varies depending with who's in charge, but would most CO's sign off on it... or would they say I had my priorities screwed up?

a-6intruder

Richard Hardshaft
None
I'd coming up on my first squadron tour in a couple of months and I'd like to get my mba online, paying for it with the Navy's tuition assistance program which require's CO's approval. I understand that it varies depending with who's in charge, but would most CO's sign off on it... or would they say I had my priorities screwed up?

Most will sign off on it, but you might want to hold off a bit until you get established in the squadron to make sure you don't overextend yourself. Unless you are joining right after the squadron returns from deployment and you have lots of turnaround time, you will find you are extremely busy for long periods of time, then slow, then busy, then...

Try and research the program to see how much flexibility you have in submitting your papers, tests, etc. You don't want to have a rigid online program w/ a hard deadline that is in the middle of a huge inspection, or Fallon, or find that you can't send in your test / paper because the ship shut off comms for some reason.

And don't be the guy who tries to snivel to avoid a flight or duty because you've got a project due.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
El,

Your profile says you're still a Middie... Where exactly are you in the pipeline?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You'll need to balance several things:
1. Learning your aircraft and tactics; obtaining your squadron/mission quals (Level 1, level 2, Mission Commander, etc)
2. Your ground job and collateral duties.

While you can deconflict your schooling around your job, don't ever let school detract from your PRIORITY ONE MISSION: FLYING and doing your Navy job!

-ea6bflyr ;)

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
You'll need to balance several things:
1. Learning your aircraft and tactics; obtaining your squadron/mission quals (Level 1, level 2, Mission Commander, etc)
2. Your ground job and collateral duties.

While you can deconflict your schooling around your job, don't ever let school detract from your PRIORITY ONE MISSION: FLYING and doing your Navy job!

-ea6bflyr ;)

I thought your MBA is what a shore tour was for anyway!

bb1125

None
I echo Bubba. If your still a mid getting ready to come down to P'cola, it's not going to happen for a while. The only free time you'll have for the next couple of years will be in a-pool and that could be short lived. I just finished primary and I can tell you there's absolutely no time for outside school. When you finish your "work" at the squadron each day, you still have a couple of hours of studying/flight prep for the next day.

After you get to your fleet squadron in a couple years, it's possible with online courses and the like, but really hard. I got my degree while I was enlisted on shore duty and it wasn't easy, but it can be done. I just don't see it happening for you anytime soon. Personally, I'm planning on getting mine when I get to shore duty. That's still about 4+ years out for me.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I'm a Marine, but the general squadron dynamics as far as work are generally the same. Having just completed my master's, I recommend waiting until you've completed your first fleet tour and are enjoying the (somewhat) good life of an instructor pilot at flight school or the FRS. The workload isn't so different, but there's a lot more predictability as far as dets, deployments, work hours, etc. It's hard, but very doable at that point.

If not that, then apply for one of the Navy's full-time grad school programs or PME when you're eligible. Those have all sorts of career implications beyond the scope of this thread.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
What airframe are you flying and where are you going to be stationed? PM me for specifics.